Tutorial or help on this distro?
Installed this OS by flashing a 32gig SD Card to a UbPorts 2Gig RAM version of Pinephone. Was wondering if anyone has like a few command lines to put into King's Cross/Bash terminal to add even more functionality to this OS? I mean I can already make calls and receive calls, but it doesn't seem to install apps from the Software store? Does anyone have like a helpful to do list to improve the experience on this? The potential is there, this could be the best OS out there for Pinephone so far, so I am stoked. It might even be close to a daily driver phone with a few tweaks. Thanks in advance. Smile
Most of these distros share almost everything with their upstream distros (arch for ALARM and alpine for PMOS.) Most things are documented well on the upstream wikis or TLDP. Also: if you have *-doc packages installed (these may or may not be installed automatically) you can get offline local documentation via the man and info commands (apropos will search the man pages for you.)
I think all I really wanted was the commands that can make certain features a little more functional in this. I don't expect someone else to do all the work, just where to start that make this even better?
This is a great place to look and ask questions about arch
https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...h/releases
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-09-2021, 11:24 AM)odh Wrote: I think all I really wanted was the commands that can make certain features a little more functional in this. I don't expect someone else to do all the work, just where to start that make this even better?

For what it's worth, what you're saying is super vague. What do you mean by "making certain features more functional"? If you don't express which features you want to do what then it makes it really hard for someone to point you in the right direction. Does SMS not work? Do you want MMS? Poor audio quality in calls? etc, etc. I don't want this to come off the wrong way but I do think it is worth pointing out that your questions makes it hard for someone to answer because it could mean a lot of different things. I would check the Mobian tweaks sections of the wiki for different tweaks you can make to add some nice QOL fixes.

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=tweaks
I just made a public GItHub repo to remind myself of how I setup things on my Arch installation. Maybe it will help you out a bit?

https://github.com/d0n601/PinePhone
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
(09-17-2021, 11:06 PM)d0n601 Wrote: I just made a public GItHub repo to remind myself of how I setup things on my Arch installation. Maybe it will help you out a bit?

I see you're using the protonmail bridge, how is that with RAM/CPU/Battery life? I haven't put it on my phone yet because I figured it would eat up one of those three since they are all so limited on the PinePhone.

Also, why not just use the MMS fork of Chatty for MMS? Just curious.
(08-09-2021, 08:16 AM)odh Wrote: Installed this OS by flashing a 32gig SD Card to a UbPorts 2Gig RAM version of Pinephone. Was wondering if anyone has like a few command lines to put into King's Cross/Bash terminal to add even more functionality to this OS? I mean I can already make calls and receive calls, but it doesn't seem to install apps from the Software store? Does anyone have like a helpful to do list to improve the experience on this? The potential is there, this could be the best OS out there for Pinephone so far, so I am stoked. It might even be close to a daily driver phone with a few tweaks. Thanks in advance. Smile

Following the Arch thread is a good starting point !

But I do not think there is a hidden list of punch in tweaks/secrets to make everything better,
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Big Grin 
(09-20-2021, 04:30 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 11:06 PM)d0n601 Wrote: I just made a public GItHub repo to remind myself of how I setup things on my Arch installation. Maybe it will help you out a bit?

I see you're using the protonmail bridge, how is that with RAM/CPU/Battery life? I haven't put it on my phone yet because I figured it would eat up one of those three since they are all so limited on the PinePhone.

I haven't noticed the battery draining any faster with Proton Bridge and Evolution mail running. I sleep with it turned on and not plugged in, and it lasts through the night lol (goes from 90% to about 65-70%). As far as memory usage, bridge only uses about %1.5-%5 of my memory, and %0-%7 of my CPU according to what I'm looking at right now.

Code:
alarm      61037  6.9  1.4 1963424 29292 pts/1   SLl+ 10:16   0:27 proton-bridge --cli --noninteractive

I haven't been following the progress of the MMS fork of Chatty. I've been lazy and waiting for it to get merged, since my bash script is working well enough for my liking. Last I looked the build process seemed a bit complicated and I just didn't want to bother. I'll have to take another look at it though.
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
(09-21-2021, 11:23 AM)d0n601 Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 04:30 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:

I haven't noticed the battery draining any faster with Proton Bridge and Evolution mail running. I sleep with it turned on and not plugged in, and it lasts through the night lol (goes from 90% to about 65-70%). As far as memory usage, bridge only uses about %1.5-%5 of my memory, and %0-%7 of my CPU according to what I'm looking at right now.

Code:
alarm      61037  6.9  1.4 1963424 29292 pts/1   SLl+ 10:16   0:27 proton-bridge --cli --noninteractive

I haven't been following the progress of the MMS fork of Chatty. I've been lazy and waiting for it to get merged, since my bash script is working well enough for my liking. Last I looked the build process seemed a bit complicated and I just didn't want to bother. I'll have to take another look at it though.
That's great, I might actually have to run Proton Bridge now. Though Geary has been terrible at notifying me of email anyway so it might not matter.

For what it's worth the MMS fork is now showing MMS inline with messages and has been working great. The build process is literally download the fork, cd into the directory and run
Code:
meson build
and then
Code:
ninja -C build

so it is pretty straight forward. I can see how people would think it is complicated because they mention building half a dozen things but really you only need to build Chatty itself. It also is halfway merged into Chatty but they might be waiting for it to mature before it actually gets into an official release, unfortunately.

Either way, here is the repo is you maybe want to try the MMS fork. https://source.puri.sm/kop316/chatty