Podcasts on the Pinephone
I currently write a blog post about Podcast apps for the Pinephone and thought who would be a better help then the Pine64 community. I will keep a list here which I will update with the help of your comments later on so here is what I have so far:

• Kasts: The Plasma mobile and if I had to guess soon general KDE podcast app and my personal pick.
  • GPodder adaptive: There is a branch of GPodder that aims to adapt to mobile screens and while the interface feels a bit rough around the edges I really like it!
  • Gnome Podcasts: The Gnome podcast app.
  • Pyrocast: A very nice Podcast app focused on streaming instead of downloading that sadly seems dead.
  • Pods: I can't say I fully understand the interface but it's still heavily WIP so probably subject to change.
  • PineCast: A nice very much WIP podcast app for the Pinephone.

Edit: The blog post which goes into far more detail is out in case anyone here is interested!
https://open.lbry.com/@gamey:c/podcasts-...DVj5qWRWYW
(Genuine question out of ignorance) - Why would somebody have a podcast app rather than something like and RSS feed reader?

Is a podcast app simply a more audio focussed RSS feed reader? If so, would it not be better to integrate the both of them?
(08-06-2021, 04:22 AM)barray Wrote: (Genuine question out of ignorance) - Why would somebody have a podcast app rather than something like and RSS feed reader?

Is a podcast app simply a more audio focussed RSS feed reader? If so, would it not be better to integrate the both of them?

I think it is the autoloading/queueing from the feed.
You can do it with two specialized apps rss downloader and a specialized place saving at shutdown audio player or have it all in one for nearly the same experience I would think.
(08-06-2021, 04:22 AM)barray Wrote: (Genuine question out of ignorance) - Why would somebody have a podcast app rather than something like and RSS feed reader?

Traditionally it is nothing but a audio focused RSS reader but most modern clients have stuff like a inbuild audio player and some can stream podcasts instead of downloading whole episodes. To the integration part it's just a totally different content format then Blogs and probably not fully the same audience so I would prefer to keep them split!
(08-06-2021, 05:39 AM)Gamey Wrote: Traditionally it is nothing but a audio focused RSS reader but most modern clients have stuff like a inbuild audio player and some can stream podcasts instead of downloading whole episodes.

Interesting, thank you Smile I also saw the ability to pause a podcast and come back to it, as well as know what you've listened to - looks super interesting.

(08-06-2021, 05:39 AM)Gamey Wrote: To the integration part it's just a totally different content format then Blogs and probably not fully the same audience so I would prefer to keep them split!

There would be no interest in a feed reader capable of both? I understand also that now we are seeing some feeds deliver videos and some that give torrents - I am just wondering whether it is just a scream for a better feed reader in general that can handle different media types elegantly.
There would be no interest in a feed reader capable of both? I understand also that now we are seeing some feeds deliver videos and some that give torrents - I am just wondering whether it is just a scream for a better feed reader in general that can handle different media types elegantly.

I am sure there would be some but it's just not what a feed reader is supposed to do! If someone wants he/she could make a new protocol based on something like Activitypub that allows for all of that and more but not with traditional feeds and hopefully not with to many feed readers because after the Web we rly don't need another such mess.
So how do you actually use any audio playing app when it cuts off the audio after 5 minutes when the screen is off? On the "default" Manjaro Plasma Mobile image it's basically useless for listening to music or podcasts.
(08-25-2021, 12:53 PM)kelbot Wrote: So how do you actually use any audio playing app when it cuts off the audio after 5 minutes when the screen is off? On the "default" Manjaro Plasma Mobile image it's basically useless for listening to music or podcasts.

The best way to go would be for the apps to implement suspend inhibition by themselves. It has been implemented in Gnome Podcasts recently and released in a beta version a couple of days ago, so hopefully it will soon be available in the common repositories.

For now I inhibit suspend manually (on Phosh though, maybe something similar is possible on Plasma) with
Code:
gnome-session-inhibit --inhibit suspend --inhibit-only
(it's a little faster than turning off suspend in the settings and I don't run as much risk of forgetting to turn it back on later)
(08-26-2021, 01:49 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 12:53 PM)kelbot Wrote: So how do you actually use any audio playing app when it cuts off the audio after 5 minutes when the screen is off? On the "default" Manjaro Plasma Mobile image it's basically useless for listening to music or podcasts.

The best way to go would be for the apps to implement suspend inhibition by themselves. It has been implemented in Gnome Podcasts recently and released in a beta version a couple of days ago, so hopefully it will soon be available in the common repositories.

For now I inhibit suspend manually (on Phosh though, maybe something similar is possible on Plasma) with
Code:
gnome-session-inhibit --inhibit suspend --inhibit-only
(it's a little faster than turning off suspend in the settings and I don't run as much risk of forgetting to turn it back on later)

It's a nice trick but actually Lollypop, Gnome Podcasts and Kasts already have a implementation to block suspend on Phosh and I think apps like Elisa or Kasts should do the job on Plasma to. A big issue right now is that there is a proposal for this to the Freedomedesktop standards that is years old and just never got accepted which Plasma uses anyway but Phosh doesn't which means app developers have to implement it twice :/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 30 22,836 Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 217 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,100 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,672 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,638 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,290 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,454 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 777 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,773 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,062 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega