using Pure Maps
it is vital to understand for each application how it collects the data from the GPS, I reckon through the /dev/EG25.NMEA, to be sure that the GPS is on and configured which can be determined with AT commands, and last but not least to get a location fixing, after all these conditions are fulfilled you can start searching for bugs if you can not see a location fixing on your maps
(08-09-2021, 06:47 AM)mouffa Wrote: it is vital to understand for each application how it collects the data from the GPS, I reckon through the /dev/EG25.NMEA, to be sure that the GPS is on and configured which can be determined with AT commands, and last  but not least to get a location fixing, after all these conditions are fulfilled you can start searching for bugs if you can not see a location fixing on your maps

agreed, but I don't quite understand how the same application collects those data correctly under Manjaro Plasma but it does not collect those same data under PostmarketOS sxmo. To my understanding there would be a difference on the OS side. But then, my technical understandig is much slimmer than yours, I am mostly a end user I guess.
the same application would try to collect the data from the same point, assuming that the GPS is on with fixed location and that Postmarket communicates with the GPS then there are several cases, for example the names of the devices may not be the same, check that a device "/dev/EG25.NMEA" exists, if the data are collected with AT commands then maybe the AT commands are not rendered correctly

I would first check the application's documentation on how the data are collected and how the GPS is controlled, then check that everything indeed works, for example that I can see output data at the "/dev/EG25.NMEA"

there is also no reason for the application to work equally well on both OSes, you may be missing some configuration or some intermediate library

start from reading the documentation to understand the technicalities of the application and then search where the data chain breaks
would it be worth to try plasma on postmarketOS versus sxmo on postmarketOS for a silly non IT perseon like me? That would be same OS but different surfaces or whateveryacallem, UI I guess is the term.
I don't think you can easily change the UI if it has not already been ported

I think this is the repository of pure maps

https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues

check all the issues both open and closed

as I can understand the app draws the data from the DBus, so the OS is responsible for delivering the data to certain DBus interfaces

the DBus is explored easily with qdbus which is easily installable under Plasma

a most complicated way is dbus-send

under Plasma you will find everything on the DBus, that is the modem for calls sms internet, sensors etc

you should find similar dbus entries under Postmarket, if not then the OS in not registering the GPS on dbus for some reason, maybe missing some package
(08-09-2021, 10:00 AM)mouffa Wrote: I don't think you can easily change the UI if it has not already been ported
you should find similar dbus entries under Postmarket, if not then the OS in not registering the GPS on dbus for some reason, maybe missing some package

ok, thank you. Did my little test now, flashed PostmarketOS Plasma on a card. Puremaps will not route under PostmarketOS Plasma either, shows the same errors as under PostmarketOS sxmo. So i am inclined to think PostmarketOS and Puremaps currently do not work well together, but ManjaroOS does work well.
Marble (the kde map app) on the older release (I haven't finished upgrading to the most recent one) of postmarketOS at least is able to route and it appears to be able to get the phone's approximate location via some QT library (which may or may not be using the GPS.) It looks like the offline routing daemon (I don't remember the name of it) isn't packaged.
Pure-maps works fine for me (i installed via apk) but it keeps insisting that my speed is always 4 km/h. Which is odd since my car is probably going a tad faster. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this ? Thanks.