Add kill switches to the PinePhone
One of the things that people seem to like about the Librem 5 is the kill switches.

However, it seems like the Librem 5 will not be delivered until 2022 at the earliest.

If the next version of the PinePhone came out with kill switches for the modem and WiFi I suspect that it would generate a lot of sales for the PinePhone.

Of course, a faster processor and more RAM would be interesting as well, but the Kill Switches might be the Killer feature!
Those kill switches already exist, under the back cover of the PinePhone.
(07-28-2021, 12:17 PM)dsimic Wrote: Those kill switches already exist, under the back cover of the PinePhone.

Sure, but that is not very convenient. Why not bring them out on the side of the phone?
It is more complicated than just "moving" the switches.
and
They would need to be hard to accidentally move.

Possibly have a back cover with a slide type access door, so you could use a tooth pick to move the existing switches..?
a minor change to the rear cover, instead of a major re-design of the the motherboard and the case frame.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Side slide privacy switch can be a challenge for protective cover design.
I used to be concerned about this too, but I realized I don't really use the kill switches so much.
The problem with disabling the modem is if you re-enable it, you must reboot in order to get it working again.
Both cameras and microphone are just always disabled, simply because I never really need them.
Not sure what benefit it brings to disable the headphone jack, so I just leave it on.
Wish we had WiFi and Bluetooth separated though, I never need to use Bluetooth, but WiFi is what I use a lot while at home.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
* At the moment the Pine phone is probably the most secure phone that is actually  "available to purchase on the open market",

Pure's phone may be more secure, BUT :
  1) It is not yet available. 
  2)  It costs as much as 5 Pine Convergent phones          *( that is for the cheaper, of their 2 Pure phones )

IF they were to go to all the trouble of putting on external switches,

Then  I would also like to see them use separate devices, instead of the all in one modem/gps/etc....

But that would force up the price way too much.$$
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-21-2021, 01:45 AM)bcnaz Wrote: * At the moment the Pine phone is probably the most secure phone that is actually  "available to purchase on the open market",

Pure's phone may be more secure, BUT :
  1) It is not yet available. 
  2)  It costs as much as 5 Pine Convergent phones          *( that is for the cheaper, of their 2 Pure phones )

IF they were to go to all the trouble of putting on external switches,

Then  I would also like to see them use separate devices, instead of the all in one modem/gps/etc....

But that would force up the price way too much.$$

Speaking of open markets, it would be nice if Pine64 would add support for crypto payments to their storefront, it would help with Pinephone sales a lot especially with the hyperinflation and collapse of the US/petro dollar on the horizon.
Monero and Bitcoin are a must, because Monero is the privacy coin that I expect to become the main currency after the US dollar collapse, and Bitcoin because it's still the most hodl'd crypto out there, so more likely that potentional buyers would use that.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
It would be easy enough to print a slider switch with holes to interface with the DIP switches and cut a slot in the cover to externally switch when required. I will probably do this at some point though it would be nice to have this quick switch caseback option in the store.
(08-21-2021, 01:41 PM)biketool Wrote: It would be easy enough to print a slider switch with holes to interface with the DIP switches and cut a slot in the cover to externally switch when required.  I will probably do this at some point though it would be nice to have this quick switch caseback option in the store.

Someone has 3d printed back covers with opening for the switches.

More details and picture found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4548120
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,078 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,522 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,478 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,599 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,665 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma