What's your experience with the updated touchpad firmware?
Feels nearly perfect
65.93%
Better, but still not issue-free
26.37%
No real improvements
3.30%
Firmware update failed
4.40%
91 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Finally... The touchpad works great!
(08-05-2021, 04:18 PM)linuxad Wrote: That said, middle click via three finger tap is still difficult. The workaround is to tap very quickly.

As I've mentioned in another topic, three-finger tap works fine if you adjust the maximum time for tap detection. By default it's 180ms, I've increased it on my system to 330ms.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(07-29-2021, 06:53 PM)Pleonasmic Wrote: Didn't work for me. I took a screenshot of the terminal output figuring it'd help but there's no way to attach images directly to the forum.

Code:
>>> Verify mismatch: type=f2, pass=e2, received=d2
EEE Touchpad verify data failed type:242 pass:226
EEE Touchpad erase failed
>>> USB device closed

Had the same issue but in my case I'm guessing it was due to active USB hub attached to PBP that likely kept keyboard powered on even after powering off PBP. After cutting external power from hub update process went fine. Or maybe it was using step-2 for ISO keyboard even though I have ANSI? Smile (I have ISO PBP with keyboard swapped for ANSI, so at least touchpad is from "ISO" version if it matters). No idea, one of these.

All in all touchpad works way way better now. And even Mod4+arrows started to work.
(08-05-2021, 04:18 PM)linuxad Wrote: I wasn't able to compile the updater using the instructions on Github for Arch Linux. Compilation failed due to a missing file, sys/cdefs.h. I booted Debian via the sdcard and had no issues compiling.

I did, however, have issues using an external USB keyboard after stage 1. I use Arch Linux via https://github.com/SvenKiljan/archlinuxarm-pbp, which uses Tow-Boot. Tow-Boot requires either a CTRL-C or ESC to choose a different boot method. Since I have an ANSI PBP, I wasn't able to use the PBP keyboard or an external keyboard to issue CTRL-C/ESC. Fortunately the external keyboard started working only after Tow-Boot booted Arch, and then I was able to mount the sdcard and run stage 2 and the flash-kb command.

The touchpad is very much improved. That said, middle click via three finger tap is still difficult. The workaround is to tap very quickly. Like another poster, I'm also finding that if I gently brush the touchpad while typing, the touchpad unfortunately will register a click.

This is a major improvement. Thanks!

I had the same issue with compiling. I was able to fix it in Arch by reinstalling the glibc package.
(07-28-2021, 10:34 PM)moonwalkers Wrote: Yet to see whether it prevents touchpad from starting to behave erratic until machine is rebooted, but yes, definitely an improvement. Though I wouldn't call it perfect just yet.

If this is the same issue as https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11862 then I'm afraid it's not solved. Just got it again on new firmware.
(08-09-2021, 02:58 AM)jpalus Wrote: If this is the same issue as https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11862 then I'm afraid it's not solved. Just got it again on new firmware.

If you installed the firmware according to this thread, I would suggest that you probably have unrelated hardware/software problems; only because most of us are not having trouble. Either your trackpad is defective, the microcontroller didn't flash with the new firmware, or, your operating system or further-down-the-line software has a problem.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(08-09-2021, 07:47 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: If you installed the firmware according to this thread, I would suggest that you probably have unrelated hardware/software problems; only because most of us are not having trouble.  Either your trackpad is defective, the microcontroller didn't flash with the new firmware, or, your operating system or further-down-the-line software has a problem.

And what makes you say that exactly? I already admitted new firmware works way better than before which I guess pretty much proves that it was loaded successfully.

Described issue is not easy to reproduce -- it occurs rarely usually after many hours spent at PBP. If feels almost as if firmware went into some loop which it cannot exit until reboot. It's not something that happens all the time. And judging by this forum I'm not the only one experiencing the issue. Just noted that new firmware does not solve this one. It's possible that touchpad is defective... wouldn't be the first defective part in my PBP.

And I'm all ears to hear how software can be responsible for generating hardware events.
Please don't think I was trying to belittle you. It was a simple statement of logic. If A then B. My point was that this doesn't seem to be something that the new firmware would address, or it would be present in all of them. You have effectively isolated the problem to your device, and those of others with the same problem

Unless you actually measure interrupts with a logic probe, you never really know that software isn't the problem. It's probably not in this case, but it sure can happen, especially these days considering how complicated software has become. Troubleshooting these things is a very painstaking process. No, I'm not saying that you aren't aware of this, or haven't done it.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Huge improvement, thank you!
I installed the Manjaro package on my early 2021 PBP.

Step 1 and Step 2 were successful. However:

Code:
$ sudo pbp-fwupdate flash-kb firmware/default_ansi.hex

Please note that updating the firmware carries a small risk
of permanently disabling the trackpad and keyboard, effectively
bricking them.  Proceed at your own risk.

Press Ctrl+C within the next five seconds to cancel... 5 4 3 2 1

Segmentation fault
this is so much better! it really makes the touchpad usable, thank you so much!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PBP green LED works but blank display. frerebo 1 807 02-22-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,143 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
  No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora) pineitup 1 3,118 02-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Last Post: BlueJayLinux
  Sticker on touchpad fbkr 3 5,308 11-10-2020, 10:10 PM
Last Post: pFalken
  Touchpad self generates events jpalus 0 1,979 10-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: jpalus
  Do I need the touchpad update? Paulie420 3 5,433 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Paulie420
  touchpad tanzim8145 2 4,827 06-06-2020, 02:56 AM
Last Post: lot378
Bug open wifi works and secure wifi does not j3bel 2 4,078 06-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: j3bel
  Right Click touchpad sensitivity tomfowler 4 6,194 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Last Post: gwalker
  lol touchpad causes mouse to move all over the place when using in a car james64 0 2,120 02-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Last Post: james64