QR Scanner
I am looking to link up Axolotl with my Signal Desktop client and it requires scanning the QR code and copy/pasting the scanned info into Axolotl. Megapixels shows the code but it is hard to make out, does anyone know how I could save the text from that?
If you tap the square that pops up around the qr code, megapixels gives you the option to copy the url or open it. Unfortunately these buttons don't seem to work at the moment. I had to scan the code with my android and mail it to myself on the pinephone. My desktop signal client is connected. I can't join groups or do voice/video calls from the app. My desktop client doesn't seem to support groups. I haven't tried voice or video with the linked desktop client. Additionally identity verification seems to be dated on axolotl.
Copying the QR code to the clipboard has been fixed in Megapixels 1.0, but as far as I know Mobian is still on 0.16. Before 1.0 the QR-Code was copied to the primary selection (after tapping on the square around the code and selecting "copy") which is not easily accessible in Phosh. You could however connect an external mouse and press the middle button/scroll wheel to paste the code. In any case this only works as long as Megapixels is open. If you close it, the clipboard content from the closed application is lost as is the case with every application in Wayland (unless you use a dedicated clipboard manager).
If you set the display variable vim can read the primary selection (run vim then type "*p)
(07-27-2021, 01:43 AM)kqlnut Wrote: Copying the QR code to the clipboard has been fixed in Megapixels 1.0, but as far as I know Mobian is still on 0.16. Before 1.0 the QR-Code was copied to the primary selection (after tapping on the square around the code and selecting "copy") which is not easily accessible in Phosh. You could however connect an external mouse and press the middle button/scroll wheel to paste the code. In any case this only works as long as Megapixels is open. If you close it, the clipboard content from the closed application is lost as is the case with every application in Wayland (unless you use a dedicated clipboard manager).

I unfortunately don't have the dock so I can't connect a mouse to the pinephone. Do you happen to know how to update or install the newest version of Megapixels?

(07-26-2021, 11:13 PM)godzillest Wrote: If you tap the square that pops up around the qr code, megapixels gives you the option to copy the url or open it. Unfortunately these buttons don't seem to work at the moment. I had to scan the code with my android and mail it to myself on the pinephone. My desktop signal client is connected. I can't join groups or do voice/video calls from the app. My desktop client doesn't seem to support groups. I haven't tried voice or video with the linked desktop client. Additionally identity verification seems to be dated on axolotl.

Unfortunately the motherboard on my android phone stopped working so I can't do that. My Axolotl seems to support group chats but I can't start them.

(07-27-2021, 05:35 AM)swiley Wrote: If you set the display variable vim can read the primary selection (run vim then type "*p)

Thanks for the tip.
(07-27-2021, 09:17 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I unfortunately don't have the dock so I can't connect a mouse to the pinephone. Do you happen to know how to update or install the newest version of Megapixels?

Megapixels 1.0 and up depends on GTK4, but Debian Bullseye (which Mobian uses) only has GTK3, so there is no easy way. I'm not sure if you could enable Debian experimental (which has GTK4), I'm not very familiar with it. Another way would be building GTK4 and Megapixels from source, but that might prove hard. Or if you are not set on Mobian, you could try Manjaro or Arch, they have newer versions.

Edit: Another way to fix that would be to apply the patch to Megapixels 0.16 manually and build from source, it's just a small change. But using vim as suggested above or another utility like wl-clipboard which can access the primary clipboard would be the easiest if you need it for just that one QR code.
(07-26-2021, 08:39 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I am looking to link up Axolotl with my Signal Desktop client and it requires scanning the QR code and copy/pasting the scanned info into Axolotl. Megapixels shows the code but it is hard to make out, does anyone know how I could save the text from that?

Hi ragreenburg,

if the task is simply to get the QR data from the Signal desktop app to Axolotl, you may try this slightly cumbersome workaround:

1. Install the ZBAR code reader on your (Linux) desktop computer.
Code:
sudo apt install zbar-tools

2. Take a screenshot of the QR code and save it.

3. Open the Terminal, go to the directory where you saved the screenshot and type:
Code:
zbarimg YourBarCodeScreeshot.jpg

4. Copy the result, paste it into a text file and move that to your phone.

5. Open the text file on the phone. Copy & paste should to the trick now.

If I remember it correctly, nothing seems to happen after one enters the code in Axolotl so you have to check in the Signal app if it has worked.

Best,

Anna
(07-30-2021, 11:53 AM)Anna Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:39 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I am looking to link up Axolotl with my Signal Desktop client and it requires scanning the QR code and copy/pasting the scanned info into Axolotl. Megapixels shows the code but it is hard to make out, does anyone know how I could save the text from that?

Hi ragreenburg,

if the task is simply to get the QR data from the Signal desktop app to Axolotl, you may try this slightly cumbersome workaround:

1. Install the ZBAR code reader on your (Linux) desktop computer.
Code:
sudo apt install zbar-tools

2. Take a screenshot of the QR code and save it.

3. Open the Terminal, go to the directory where you saved the screenshot and type:
Code:
zbarimg YourBarCodeScreeshot.jpg

4. Copy the result, paste it into a text file and move that to your phone.

5. Open the text file on the phone. Copy & paste should to the trick now.

If I remember it correctly, nothing seems to happen after one enters the code in Axolotl so you have to check in the Signal app if it has worked.

Best,

Anna
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately Axolotl didn't connect to my desktop even with that information.
After all the effort to extract the code nothing happens when you enter it in Axolotl and press enter? Sorry to hear that.

This seems to be a case for the Axolotl thread and @arno_nuehm then.
(07-30-2021, 05:53 PM)Anna Wrote: After all the effort to extract the code nothing happens when you enter it in Axolotl and press enter? Sorry to hear that.

This seems to be a case for the Axolotl thread and @arno_nuehm then.

I eventually got it to work but for some reason took a few tries. At least it is working now!