No notifications on lock screen
I do not get notifications on the lock screen, despite the fact that this setting is activated in the Privacy settings. The blue LED comes on, but I must unlock the phone to see that there is a notification. For example, open king's cross, enter "sleep 5", then hit the power button. After 5 seconds, the blue LED flashes, but when the lock screen comes up there is no notification.

Is this problem unique to me, or do other people experience it?

(Feature request: The ability to have a third lock screen notification setting, not just on or off, but a setting which allows the *presence* of a notification but not its *content*)
(07-25-2021, 07:39 AM)DrPlamsa Wrote: I do not get notifications on the lock screen, despite the fact that this setting is activated in the Privacy settings. The blue LED comes on, but I must unlock the phone to see that there is a notification. For example, open king's cross, enter "sleep 5", then hit the power button. After 5 seconds, the blue LED flashes, but when the lock screen comes up there is no notification.

(Feature request: The ability to have a third lock screen notification setting, not just on or off, but a setting which allows the *presence* of a notification but not its *content*)

Nope, Phosh just doesn't currently have that feature. Maybe go and add an issue on the GitHub. I was just thinking about this last night though and I would love the feature.
(07-27-2021, 11:10 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 07:39 AM)DrPlamsa Wrote: I do not get notifications on the lock screen, despite the fact that this setting is activated in the Privacy settings. The blue LED comes on, but I must unlock the phone to see that there is a notification. For example, open king's cross, enter "sleep 5", then hit the power button. After 5 seconds, the blue LED flashes, but when the lock screen comes up there is no notification.

Nope, Phosh just doesn't currently have that feature. Maybe go and add an issue on the GitHub. I was just thinking about this last night though and I would love the feature.

@ragreenburg Thanks a bunch for your answer! Just a minor point of clarification: When you say "Phosh just doesn't currently have that feature", were you referring to 1) notifications on the lock screen or 2) protected no-content notifications on the lock screen?

Thanks again for answering my question.
(07-27-2021, 11:39 AM)DrPlamsa Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 11:10 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:

@ragreenburg Thanks a bunch for your answer! Just a minor point of clarification: When you say "Phosh just doesn't currently have that feature", were you referring to 1) notifications on the lock screen or 2) protected no-content notifications on the lock screen?

Thanks again for answering my question.

I think both. I know for certain things you can view it on the lock screen, like if you have a podcast playing through Gnome Podcasts you can see that on the lock screen. That being said, that is the only thing I've seen on the lock screen. I really like the idea of a quick notification screen that just says like "New Message in Chatty" or something though. Especially since the blue light goes on randomly without there actually being a notification.
@ragreenburg I'll prepare a more detailed post with my findings, but for now I have characterized the blue light going on randomly. I have observed in my install that the blue light goes on *exactly* four minutes after I turn off the screen, and flashes for *exactly* one minute. This does not occur if the phone is charging. Perhaps this has something to do with when the wifi goes to sleep?
(07-28-2021, 11:10 AM)DrPlamsa Wrote: @ragreenburg I'll prepare a more detailed post with my findings, but for now I have characterized the blue light going on randomly. I have observed in my install that the blue light goes on *exactly* four minutes after I turn off the screen, and flashes for *exactly* one minute. This does not occur if the phone is charging. Perhaps this has something to do with when the wifi goes to sleep?

Yeah, it definitely could be when the modem goes to sleep because I know that is also about when Bluetooth and cellular turn off. Over the past couple of days I've tried listening to stuff via Bluetooth and it always disconnects to the headphones which is super annoying because then I have to keep the screen on to listen to anything on Bluetooth for more than a couple of minutes.
The notification LED kicking in after 4 minutes is triggered by a `gnome-settings-daemon` notification that the device is going to suspend (which happens 1 min later with the default config). This notification disappears as soon as you turn the screen on, as this action interrupts the suspend process, which is why you can sometimes see the notification LED, wake up the screen only to find out there's no notification at all.

@ragreenburg in order to listen to stuff for > 5mins (either via bluetooth or a wired headset) you have to either use a player inhibiting the auto-suspend such as Lollypop, trigger suspend inhibition yourself (I believe there are instructions about that on the Mobian wiki) or fully disable auto-suspend (which will obviously drain the battery faster)
Thank you @a-wai ! You mention "there are instructions about that on the Mobian wiki". For later users googling, here is a link to them: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...pend-sleep

They center around the gsettings setting `org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout` and the command `gnome-session-inhibit`.
(07-29-2021, 07:20 AM)DrPlamsa Wrote: Thank you @a-wai ! You mention "there are instructions about that on the Mobian wiki". For later users googling, here is a link to them: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...pend-sleep

They center around the gsettings setting `org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout` and the command `gnome-session-inhibit`.

Thank you @a-wai, I appreciate the help.

@DrPlamsa I believe he is mentioning this section in particular which involves a suspend guard script so it doesn't change suspend aside from when audio is playing.
@DrPlamsa Good news, with Phosh 13 (released yesterday) there is now notifications on the lock screen! Admittely you can't see what the message says but it is a great start and if you click on a Chatty message it'll ask for the password to unlock the screen and open Chatty. If you update you might have to restart either the phone or Phosh to see the changes. It also said there were a few other changes that include only showing apps that are mobile friendly (apparently introduced in Phosh 12) that I don't see on my phone so who knows...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen auto-rotation sensitivity mdk 0 214 12-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Screen stay black unless power key pressed short freelectro 0 602 06-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  Unsuspend → Black screen mdk 15 4,781 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Melechtna
  Sound : notifications freelectro 6 1,744 06-07-2023, 01:03 AM
Last Post: freelectro
  Lock screen question: always squeekboard tuxcall 1 1,153 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Haibara23
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 960 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Does tow-boot allow periodic wake from suspension to check for notifications? DrPlamsa 4 2,543 12-31-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: DrPlamsa
  how to split screen? andrew907 2 1,420 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Last Post: andrew907
  Proximity sensor is oversensitive (was "Screen blanks when making call") treebeard 5 2,647 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  on screen keyboard woes vusra 1 1,179 07-18-2022, 03:29 AM
Last Post: vusra