PnePhone Braveheart Edition - Microphone NOT Working
Sad 
Hello,

I purchased my PinePhone Braveheart edition (v1.1) first time when they were launched (ordered in November 2019, received it in February 2020).
The microphone has never worked. At the beginning, I couldn't test it; when the first alpha distros became available and I was able to test the microphone, it was too late to send it back under warranty. Eventually I got a new Side Board, on which the microphone is soldered, and I replaced the original one, but the microphone still doesn't work.

Currently the installed OS is Manjaro with KDE Plasma Mobile. Just after the full OS is loaded, under Settings -> Audio, in "Recording Devices" section, the Internal Microphone is shown:

After tapping on the button and sellecting the "Headset Microphone" there is no option to go back to the "Internal Microphone" (see the image below):

In my opinion this looks like a software issue. If I use a headset, the microphone on the headset works fine and, if I make a phone-call, I can have a bi-directional conversation.

Any feedback? The next step would be to replace the main board. Or sell the phone on eBay and put a stop to my misery
this is a painful situation with Plasma's settings, click Configure and try to disable the audio selecting Profile Off and then select again the High Quality music profile, you can also try to connect and disconnect the headset and you will probably get your settings back
(07-24-2021, 03:38 PM)mouffa Wrote: this is a painful situation with Plasma's settings, click Configure and try to disable the audio selecting Profile Off and then select again the High Quality music profile, you can also try to connect and disconnect the headset and you will probably get your settings back

Thanks for that, mouffa. I managed to bring back the setting for the Internal Microphone, however, it still doesn't work. I should have mentioned that the mic is not working irrespective of the installed distro. It looks like it is a hardware fault, after all.

I am tempted to order a replacement mainboard, not only because the microphone issue but also to solve other issues with the v1.1 of the board.
I read the previous posts, the 1.1 revision has several problems, you could either try to fix them with complicated soldering tricks or use the phone at home as a tablet, the 1.2b revision I have has shown no hardware problems up to now, I can solve everything with the necessary commands
I think the discount offer to Brave Heart owners to purchase a new motherboards has probably expired ?

I did purchase an updated motherboard myself back when that offer first opened.
Though I have yet to do the swap,
    instead I purchased some Post Market phones and a Manjaro phone.

My Brave Heart Edition worked very well for everything that I asked of it, Talk, (SMS) Text, wifi and cell Data.
   ( It is retired for now until I do the swap )

I would suggest going with the new motherboard as even if you do manage to make the mic work, you still will have the original design flaws.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I was taking pictures of the phone to add them to the eBay listing. Then I saw the little card with the message from the PINE64 Community Team and I had a change of heart.

I don't need the money I could get for the phone if I sell it, and the Brave Heart is part of a limited edition.

Instead, I went to the PINE64 store and ordered the new version of the mainboard (still $79.95), and a FPC cable, just in case.

There is no other part I could replace to fix the microphone issue.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Valentin
is it difficult to modify the board and turn it into 1.2b ?
@valentin
I want to wish you LUCK, 
( 'of course your #3 switch for microphone is turned on ? )
*  There is a good 'How to Guide' on you tube,  there is a link somewhere in the forum, it's just been sometime since I saw it.

@mouffa
As I said to valentin  see the you tube video.

Both the phones 16gb eMMC with 2gb of ram and the phone with 32gb eMMC with 3gb of ram are identical in all other specs.
  With a little caution  Almost anyone can do the swap, Just Do NOT hurry !

I bought the upgrade motherboard for my Brave Heart back in December when they were offering a discount to the Original Brave Heart buyers,
 but since then,  I have purchased 3 PMOS and 1 Manjaro edition phones and have not taken the time to do the upgrade.
 NOW I just took the Brave Heart out of service because I cracked the screen, perhaps I will do both the screen and motherboard...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I asked if it is difficult to modify the board, not swap it, that is cut the unecessary wiring by scratching the board and add new wiring, I believe it's feasible but technically difficult.
(07-30-2021, 08:14 PM)mouffa Wrote: I asked if it is difficult to modify the board, not swap it, that is cut the unecessary wiring by scratching the board and add new wiring, I believe it's feasible but technically difficult.

Ah  Yeah,  guess I mis understood.
   NOT Impossible,  BUT  then again,   if the board is 'toasted' anyhow, what's to lose if you try ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microphone on Hardware Model 1.2 is Unusably Noisy In Some Circomstances ASmartSuitedSimpleton 4 3,627 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 27 23,270 01-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: skandigraun
  BETA edition rcu errors 8bit 29 19,175 11-02-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
  Need a new microphone? kujo_marble 0 706 08-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Last Post: kujo_marble
  Microphone replacement SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 1,452 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,480 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
Question Upgrading a 2020 Community Edition Pinephone? danimations 5 3,457 03-10-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: danimations
  Dead Microphone? Pulsar 4 3,642 02-16-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: mysociallife