WhatsApp & Pinephone - What are the alternatives for collaborative comms?
Hi,
really interesting thread, thank you all. I'm new in this forum and I don't have yet my pinephone. I want it just to experiment and play for now, but when I imagine me using it as my definitive phone (discarding my current samsung with android) one of the stoppers I have is whatsapp. I don't like it, but my family, friends, job colleagues, etc. use it and I can't expect they all to move to something more free.

So, I have a question for all of you. Have somebody test running Anbox + whatsapp in the pinephone? (I guess, reading this thread, that this is the more natural way to run it on pinephone) I understand it's possible but, is it practical? the performance is acceptable?

Thanks a lot!
(07-26-2021, 08:39 AM)Zombie Feynman Wrote: You can install WhatsApp inside Android Studio on a desktop or server. You need to be able to receive a text message with a verification code in order to create an account. That does not have to be the same device, so you can just use your PinePhone to receive the text message and type the code into the emulated WhatsApp on your desktop.
Aero WhatsApp
If you put the Android Studio AVD on a server, you can bridge it with Matrix and use e.g. Mirage on the PinePhone to access your WhatsApp chats. Alternatively, use WhatsApp Web or a VNC viewer to interact with WhatsApp directly and avoid the annoyingly complicated setup of the Matrix bridge.

If i use the Android Studio or other VM Android on the desktop, then create the WhatsApp account on the desktop. Then I can login in the WhatsApp web easily.

Now, my question is, if i remove the Android studio after logging in the WhatsApp Web, will i be logged out from the Web or will it still be active?
(04-14-2023, 12:49 AM)Stephen21 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:39 AM)Zombie Feynman Wrote: You can install WhatsApp inside Android Studio on a desktop or server. You need to be able to receive a text message with a verification code in order to create an account. That does not have to be the same device, so you can just use your PinePhone to receive the text message and type the code into the emulated WhatsApp on your desktop.
Aero WhatsApp
If you put the Android Studio AVD on a server, you can bridge it with Matrix and use e.g. Mirage on the PinePhone to access your WhatsApp chats. Alternatively, use WhatsApp Web or a VNC viewer to interact with WhatsApp directly and avoid the annoyingly complicated setup of the Matrix bridge.

If i use the Android Studio or other VM Android on the desktop, then create the WhatsApp account on the desktop. Then I can login in the WhatsApp web easily.

Now, my question is, if i remove the Android studio after logging in the WhatsApp Web, will i be logged out from the Web or will it still be active?

let it be clear, that i don't use whatsapp, or its web interface.

what i know, whatsapp web works little differently than signal desktop. whatsapp web is temporary and needs to be reactivated again for next time. if you uninstall whatsapp, then web connection is gone.

i think android studio usage is unpractical. i tried camera support and it's there, but cumbersome. so using it every time is not worth it and some guys .... not naming anyone here ... has some issues with google's android studio software and its android images with some components.
(07-17-2021, 02:53 AM)danimations Wrote: I have a problem I hope someone can help me solve.

I have a Pinephone and a client that I work with has asked if I can install a WhatsApp client on my phone in order to keep up with some group discussions there about a collaborative project. I've never used WhatsApp on any device, and after learning that it was bought by Facebook a few years back, I'm disinclined to use it.

I looked into the practicalities of setting up WhatsApp on Pinephone anyway, using an in-browser or stand-alone desktop client... and there's a major problem. You need to already have WhatsApp installed on an Android/Apple smartphone before your can set up a desktop client on a PC (or Pinephone).

Is it possible to establish a Whatsapp account without using an Android or Apple handset beforehand/simultaneously?

Is there anything that the WhatsApp platform offers that alternative platforms don't?

My preferred solution is to encourage the client to switch to an alternative collaborative chat/file sharing platform that is private and mobile friendly, but I'd need to convince a bunch of people to change platforms. What alternative(s) would you recommend?

Any advice will be warmly welcomed. SleepyFM whatsapp

WhatsApp requires initial setup and verification through an Android or Apple handset before using it on other devices, including Pinephone or desktop clients. Without setting it up on a smartphone first, you won't be able to use WhatsApp on other platforms.

switch to an alternative collaborative chat/file-sharing platform, there are several options available. Here are a few alternatives that prioritize privacy and are mobile-friendly:

Signal: Signal is a highly secure messaging app known for its strong encryption and privacy features. It supports group chats, voice and video calls, and file sharing.

Telegram: Telegram is a cloud-based messaging platform that offers end-to-end encryption for secret chats. It provides group chats, voice and video calls, and file sharing capabilities.

Matrix/Riot: Matrix is an open standard for decentralized communication, and Riot is a Matrix-based messaging app. It offers group chats, voice and video calls, file sharing, and emphasizes privacy and interoperability.
Rock Jonn
FM whatsapp

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,174 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,942 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,481 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,610 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,671 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma