Considering the Pinephone
Just wondering. On the Pinephone, would you just use web based sites instead of apps? So things like facebook, youtube, etc, you would just use their web sites?
Can you get Whatsapp, messenger, and Duo? Would you just use the web based versions? 

Lastly, is this thing powerful enough to run a VM in it? I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Your phone program. Also is there SMS texting on the Pinephone?

Thanks for the annoying questions.
(07-15-2021, 09:04 PM)Xa3phod Wrote: Just wondering. On the Pinephone, would you just use web based sites instead of apps? So things like facebook, youtube, etc, you would just use their web sites?
Can you get Whatsapp, messenger, and Duo? Would you just use the web based versions? 

Lastly, is this thing powerful enough to run a VM in it? I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Your phone program. Also is there SMS texting on the Pinephone?

There are apps (such as Cawbird for Twitter users), and Signal Encrypted Messenger clones (Axolotl). Sms works, but MMS is a work in progress (pictures/video are not 'textable" by default- however, on the Axolotl signal clone, video does work).

It isn't the most powerful device, as such, running operating system + a few apps at a time would offer the best experience (attempting too much at once will drain battery fast). It can play video back smoothly (Axolotl).

I would suggest this as a phone for people who like tinkering, those who already want a Linux computer in their pocket (with added cellular capability). It is recommended for experienced Linux users (this part is in the wiki). See the Wiki here to see more on the state of things: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone

If you are a facebook user, browser is the way to go. It is usable. But isn't meant to "compete" with performance of an iPhone/Android (including battery life atm).

I have no trouble watching Youtube videos in Firefox/Librewolf browsers. Higher resolution requirements like Odysee can cause difficulty.

If interested in more app options: https://linmobapps.frama.io/ is a great resource.

Still, it is currently in a software state where experienced Linux users would feel most comfortable.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

(07-15-2021, 09:04 PM)Xa3phod Wrote: Just wondering. On the Pinephone, would you just use web based sites instead of apps? So things like facebook, youtube, etc, you would just use their web sites?

Yes I use the web for discord and Youtube.

There's a libpurple plugin for SMS and most OSes include some kind of libpurple UI (like chatty or finch or pidgen) but I've found it's pretty unreliable. I prefer to use an XMPP client and relay via jmp.chat for SMS/MMS.

Qemu runs, I haven't tried using KVM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,083 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,667 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma