Create a Phosh App in 10 Minutes
I searched but did not find a thread about this, apologies if I missed it.

I have been investigating app development (especially on Phosh) and I came across a nice video from our very own @pizzalovingnerd the other day, showing just how easy it can be to whip up some little app, using Phosh and Python:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C-vihKDLs

And from the looks of it, it is actually quite easy!

I just want to encourage anyone who has some interest in this area to pursue it!  If you are a student, retired, or otherwise have a little time on your hands and like to tinker and learn, there are a lot of little small and useful apps that could be written, for example:

• Some GUI to display GPS and cell tower data (like all those on Android)
  • Some note capture app (customized to your liking)
  • A todo.txt app (slightly more involved)
  • There are some threads around with people requesting things (maybe we should link them here)
  • Whatever grabs your interest

I was really struck by how easy it actually seems to develop on this platform, especially with Phosh and Python.  No JavaShit nor huge libraries / IDEs necessary like on Android (which I tried a couple times over the years but just gave up in disgust!).

I have to get back to work soon, but after watching that video I feel like it's only a matter of time until I try my hand at some small app development.

Feel free to discuss development, licensing issues, or whatever else you feel is related!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Thanks for promoting my video Smile
Yes it really is easy to do.
Oh look, the man himself has graced us with his presence!  Big Grin

Thanks for making all the videos, mate!  They really got me through that initial research phase and to the point of being OK pulling the trigger on buying a PinePhone.

Now it's my daily driver, and I think I can reasonably claim I have contributed a fair amount to the community by now with little things I've learned along the way (mostly here on the forums).

Cheers!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Mobian with X11 without Wayland and Phosh. Manieck71 0 834 09-09-2023, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Manieck71
  How to disable lock screen in Phosh? lat 14 13,849 03-31-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  ATTN MODS: Create 'Genode OS on PinePhone' Sub-Forum under PinePhone Software PineFone 3 2,143 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Fedora + Phosh for PinePhone njha 74 128,036 12-12-2022, 10:19 PM
Last Post: wcdeich4@hotmail.com
  Enable 'upcoming-events' on Mobian/Phosh Korac 3 2,109 09-14-2022, 01:19 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Advise: ENABLE animations before updating phosh! Otherwise freezes and crashes! dante404 5 3,073 08-18-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: dante404
  Phosh message notifications issue itstoughtofocus 2 2,608 08-15-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: nemsys
  Building an image with phosh liara 1 1,724 02-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  More useful terminal key layout for phosh's squeekboard Boern 21 26,656 01-15-2022, 02:35 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Phosh: Idles to Lockscreen Without Powering Off Display Merc 1 1,879 11-01-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: e1337