Please Help: Bricked Pinebook Pro with Keyboard Update
This is embarrassing. But I could really use some advice.

I bricked my computer trying to update the keyboard/touchpad firmware using this repo: https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rd-updater

The problem is that I installed the ISO instead of the ANSI, so now my keys are all mismatched. 

One option seems to be to try to map the new keys to the old keys. But since I've only got the password field of the login to work with, it's tough to verify what's what.

Any better advice? I'm open to reinstalling the OS or just about anything.
(07-13-2021, 08:18 AM)dumbguywhobrokehiscomputer Wrote: I'm opening to reinstalling the OS

If you really don't need whatever data may have been on the same media with the OS, this is likely the fastest and easiest option.  But maybe overkill, the more I think about it.  Here are some (maybe better) ideas:

• Maybe there are some instructions at that repo to reverse the process?
  • Maybe some setting you can make (perhaps by ssh in to the device)?
  • In fact, ssh (or serial console) into the device should let you use some other (working) keyboard I would guess.

I would ask them, maybe.  But first, make sure you search existing issues and their wiki and what ever other resources they make available.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(07-13-2021, 01:36 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
  • In fact, ssh (or serial console) into the device should let you use some other (working) keyboard I would guess.

Ahh. I was very excited about this idea. But it looks like ssh is not installed by default, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip though.
>I'm open to reinstalling the OS or just about anything.
The OS has NO effect on keyboard firmware,,
You will have to run firmware update again (and hope that you do not have limited write chip)
When login you have 2 lines, user,<enter> password (not echoed) <enter>
So, on the user line, see what the keyboard does, make a list, if the key echos as typed put a check after,,
else something like q = m (if you type q and get a m)
Probably you will be able to find out what to type to get a login and rerun flasher
OR
I have little experience, an on screen keyboard, mouse keyboard
But you still have to get logged in, so not likely

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro vs Pinetab2 Lotech 0 161 02-13-2024, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Lotech
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,618 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  Keyboard layout dealie 0 1,479 08-27-2021, 12:55 PM
Last Post: dealie
  First time user experiencing weird keyboard issues kendew 5 6,012 06-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rotwang
  Java on Manjaro ARM Pinebook Pro gulagpyromaniac 3 3,748 05-25-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Setup My Pinebook 64 and Lost Password jersdayoff 5 5,652 05-01-2021, 10:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  update on out of stock products? Calamity 4 5,059 03-17-2021, 11:57 PM
Last Post: dgdimick
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,927 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
  Pinebook Pro- configuration aborts setting keyboard layout scroall 10 12,030 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Last Post: scroall
  Changing locale on Pinebook Pro Perl6_user 5 6,912 09-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Last Post: guava