Still trying, SMS not working
It really should "just work."

I am beginning to suspect it's a carrier/service issue.  Maybe purchase one additional SIM for a few bucks, along with the cheapest plan you can find (for a few more) and use that to try a different carrier.

I could tell you who I use but it may be irrelevant in your area.

Other than that, I would not be messing with modem codes and stuff at the command line.  I never needed to do any of that.  If you have a spare sd card (or don't mind wiping current one) flash a clean, new OS image (of Mobian) and just let it do its thing.[0]

Other than that, maybe make sure the sd card is actually good.  How old is it?  Is it a good brand name card from reliable vendor (which DO NOT include Amazon and eBay nowadays)?  There are some software tools you can use to verify the card itself before writing your image to it.  Basic stuff but actually quite common problem.

Only update your OS at the command line (for now). The GUI Software Center (or whatever it's called) is not fully reliable just yet. Just making sure we have covered all basic things here.

[0] I can't help but wonder if something was borked with all the fiddling; this would eliminate that possibility.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
@TRS-80 thank you! It could very well be a carrier problem as it is an MVNO relying on Verizon towers, and Verizon is a monopoly. At&T service is not great out here, so Verizon is kind of the only show in town. For a bit we were trying Puretalk, which is an ATT MVNO, and we just could not get or receive calls consistently,because of the spotty service. We are going to try this weekend on another phone, as @rocket2infinity suggested and then we will have a better idea of what is going on. Despite others successes, we have never had good luck with calls/text on any of the operating systems, and we have tried them all, so service could definitely be the issue. Knowing Verizon, it could be because we had to register the SIM with an alternate IMEI. I miss my 3G flip phone dang nabbit. Anyway, thanks to all of you for the patient, consistent help. We will keep plugging away and try on another phone for a bit and keep trying the Pinephone intermittently. I really like the look and ease of use of UT and my husband liked MANJARO with KDE/plasma. Thanks again, will post back after we get an alternate phone.
Yeah, especially if you are up there in the North Woods / hills, that could be the whole problem right there.

I give you just as much credit for sticking with it, it as equally as frustrating for those of us who try and help when someone makes one post and never returns, or make a few post then never really reply with the final solution, etc... Sort of like clapping with one hand. lol
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
I am going to try to reflash tonight, but finally sorted out that I can get and receive calls most of the time. I can send any and all texts, but only receive texts that are three or four words or less (nothing else comes through). The other Pinephone can send anything but gets no texts at all. What a frustrating experience! Our backup phones are not coming for a week, so more time to try to sort this out. I may try the Puretalk SIM again if reflashing doesn't work. Oy vey!!
We ended up just using the phones for calls (and still get dropped quite a bit) and resorted to using Telegram to message each other. We are attempting to flash Ubuntu Touch onto our 'new' used Pixel 3a phones as we speak, and will probably have to put the Pinephones away for a bit to avoid frustration. Hopefully Ubuntu will work 'out of the box' although it certainly has not been without frustration to get it loaded onto the phone. Hopefully that will solve our communication issues for now, it we may still struggle with service, as I have heard from others that even 'regular' phones are having service disruptions. Thanks to all who helped us with this but of frustration. Will check back periodically if things get more streamlined.
If you need help, ask on the UBports forum or telegram groups. One of us is always around and happy to help
Posting this here in case it's useful....

(07-27-2021, 12:38 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 04:41 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: Anyone know if there is a fix coming soon for the broken inbound SMS issue using the default chat app on Mobian? I tested it last week and it still was happening with the latest updates. Inbound used to work months ago just fine. I was using it a lot.

That happens with most Distro's  not just Mobian

It is a known problem in the modem software or firmware,  it cannot yet process MMS text messages, so it tends to plug the cache.

You must clear the cache.  This is mentioned in several other threads as well.

Since I don't do well using CLI methods,  I simply install the  'Modem Manager GUI'  app from the onboard software store.

Then you can clear out all these texts by using this app...  Then 'Reboot'  and you should again receive your sms texts. 

Good Luck  !
** comment on above :
When the modem is plugged from MMS messages, the problem will persist even if you change the whole operating systems.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,291 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  MMS sending stopped working amindfv 2 1,154 01-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Instructions to get pinephone working on USA carrier omarcomputing 1 1,286 10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  JumpDrive isn't working phytocube 2 1,684 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: phytocube
  SIM card slot not working dekrets 2 2,099 02-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Last Post: dekrets
  Can't get autofocus working duncan_bayne 4 2,807 01-22-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: duncan_bayne
  PinePhone Beta 3GB modem not working hannescam 15 8,766 01-19-2022, 02:08 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Video Out not working BenniTec 7 5,018 10-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Last Post: BenniTec
  How did you get data working on PureTalk? nelstomlinson 2 2,797 09-26-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  JumpDrive not working due to device busy cnxsoft 3 2,961 08-08-2021, 12:18 AM
Last Post: mouffa