Using magnetic automotive phone holders
I'm going full time with my pine phone and would like to use the magnetic holder I have in my car.

Code:
https://www.mobarmor.com/shop/mobnetic-pro-90-129211

The magnet is on the holder itself, covered by a rubber sleeve. A thin plate of metal is stuck to the phone/case. The magnet uses this plate for an attachment point. I've used this method on my phones for years without any issues, but perhaps the pine phone has it's internals in places that other phone don't or is less protected in some way. I like my pine phone and don't want to mess it up!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using magnetic holders on the pine phone. Or if anyone can say  whether or not the pine phone would be effected by using this method.

Any ideas?
I doubt there will be a problem. The metal plate will shield the phone internals from most of the magnetic field, and the phone doesn't seem to be affected by magnets anyway, although they are attracted to the battery.
(07-14-2021, 12:26 PM)wibble Wrote: I doubt there will be a problem. The metal plate will shield the phone internals from most of the magnetic field, and the phone doesn't seem to be affected by magnets anyway, although they are attracted to the battery.

So, storage is not affected? Like in the old days when drives could be ruined by exposure to magnets? I am mainly concerned about the various chips that store information, but I guess if it isn't an issue with a Galaxy7 then it shouldn't be with a Pine. I'm surprised that you mentioned the battery, is there ferrous metal in the battery?
Flash chips don't store data magnetically, unlike HDDs, floppies and tape. I haven't investigated the battery in depth - I was wondering about using magnets to secure a flip cover and expecting things like the vibrate motor, speaker or shielding cans to be the bits that might work best. The battery was a bit of a surprise as it's pretty much uniform, not just locally from a nickel interconnect or steel component.
(07-12-2021, 01:18 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: I'm going full time with my pine phone and would like to use the magnetic holder I have in my car.

Code:

The magnet is on the holder itself, covered by a rubber sleeve. A thin plate of metal is stuck to the phone/case. The magnet uses this plate for an attachment point. I've used this method on my phones for years without any issues, but perhaps the pine phone has it's internals in places that other phone don't or is less protected in some way. I like my pine phone and don't want to mess it up!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using magnetic holders on the pine phone. Or if anyone can say  whether or not the pine phone would be effected by using this method.

Any ideas?
I think even the LIS3MDL Hall sensor will adjust to a close magnetic field after a short time, not sure if this is in the IC's firmware or if the self test and calibrate function needs to be called by software or the driver.
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partg...3mdl/41283
(07-20-2021, 03:07 AM)biketool Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 01:18 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: I'm going full time with my pine phone and would like to use the magnetic holder I have in my car.

Code:

Any ideas?
Quote:I think even the LIS3MDL Hall sensor will adjust to a close magnetic field after a short time, not sure if this is in the IC's firmware or if the self test and calibrate function needs to be called by software or the driver.
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partg...3mdl/41283

Hadn't thought of that. I've been using it now for a few days and haven't noticed any issues while the phone is mounted. Personally, it would be rare for me to turn the screen in the car. As long as the magnet doesn't do permanent harm to the sensor, loss of sensor function isn't a big deal. I'll give that a try just to see if there is a noticeable loss of function.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 943 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,749 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 792 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 995 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,422 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,026 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,210 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777
  new to pine phone and struggling neverdimed 8 2,658 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: neverdimed