Very slow download speeds?
Sad 
Hey all,

So I've been searching around the internet and have had almost no luck figuring out why my download speeds are so slow on the Pinebook Pro.

I haven't tried a whole bunch of distros or anything, just the Manjaro ARM that it came with, and Fedora 32 (GNOME).
In both Manjaro and Fedora, my download speeds are really slow.

In Manjaro, I get 2.5Mbps download, and 16Mbps upload speeds (I'm standing right next to my router too).
In Fedora, I ran the Ethtool command and put the wireless NIC in full duplex. My download speed went from 2.5Mbps to 5Mbps. My upload speed has stayed at a steady 26Mbps.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what it might be? I'm positive that it's not my internet connection. On my Lenovo Yoga and my custom build, I get at least 30Mbps download in my basement (a floor below my router).

I've run updates and everything. Before I updated Manjaro/Fedora after installation, my download speeds were in the Kbps, so obviously updating did help to some extent.

Are the wireless NICs in the Pinebook just that slow? I figure I wouldn't be getting a much higher upload speed if this was actually the case.
I couldn't seem to find any threads, any Youtube videos, or really anything regarding anyone else having this issue.

Any advice what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

If there's any information I missed that I should have provided, please let me know and I will do my best to provide it ASAP.
(07-10-2021, 01:16 PM)intervalz Wrote: Hey all,

So I've been searching around the internet and have had almost no luck figuring out why my download speeds are so slow on the Pinebook Pro.

I haven't tried a whole bunch of distros or anything, just the Manjaro ARM that it came with, and Fedora 32 (GNOME).

In Manjaro, I get 2.5Mbps download, and 16Mbps upload speeds (I'm standing right next to my router too).
In Fedora, I ran the Ethtool command and put the wireless NIC in full duplex. My download speed went from 2.5Mbps to 5Mbps. My upload speed has stayed at a steady 26Mbps.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what it might be? I'm positive that it's not my internet connection. On my Lenovo Yoga and my custom build, I get at least 30Mbps download in my basement (a floor below my router).

I've run updates and everything. Before I updated Manjaro/Fedora after installation, my download speeds were in the Kbps, so obviously updating did help to some extent.

Are the wireless NICs in the Pinebook just that slow? I figure I wouldn't be getting a much higher upload speed if this was actually the case.
I couldn't seem to find any threads, any Youtube videos, or really anything regarding anyone else having this issue.

If there's any information I missed that I should have provided, please let me know and I will do my best to provide it ASAP.

Debian Sid with stock Debian kernel (5.10.0-8-arm64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-1 (2021-06-24) aarch64) and WiFi firmware first from https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/p...6-firmware and then from https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/pinebook...aster/brcm (some files from first source get overwritten) here, I get at least 80Mbps+ both directions on average, with peaks around 110Mbps+:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/11709558194
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(07-10-2021, 07:25 PM)moonwalkers Wrote:

Debian Sid with stock Debian kernel (5.10.0-8-arm64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-1 (2021-06-24) aarch64) and WiFi firmware first from https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/p...6-firmware and then from https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/pinebook...aster/brcm (some files from first source get overwritten) here, I get at least 80Mbps+ both directions on average, with peaks around 110Mbps+:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/11709558194

Thanks so much for your reply. I installed the firmware from the first link you attached... but I'm having an issue with the second link. I tried executing the binary file in the brcm folder and got "Exec format error". I also received the same error on the rockchip folder's bin file. Please forgive my ignorance, but am I doing this wrong? (I'm trying this on Manjaro ARM).
(07-11-2021, 11:36 AM)intervalz Wrote: Thanks so much for your reply. I installed the firmware from the first link you attached... but I'm having an issue with the second link. I tried executing the binary file in the brcm folder and got "Exec format error". I also received the same error on the rockchip folder's bin file. Please forgive my ignorance, but am I doing this wrong? (I'm trying this on Manjaro ARM).

You're not supposed to execute those binaries directly, you're supposed to copy them into a specific location in your file system, and then if you did that correctly they will be loaded automatically when the device driver modules initialize. Check https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...#L234-L235 for details - specifically, you should be copying them files into /lib/firmware/brcm/
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(07-12-2021, 12:48 PM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 11:36 AM)intervalz Wrote: Thanks so much for your reply. I installed the firmware from the first link you attached... but I'm having an issue with the second link. I tried executing the binary file in the brcm folder and got "Exec format error". I also received the same error on the rockchip folder's bin file. Please forgive my ignorance, but am I doing this wrong? (I'm trying this on Manjaro ARM).

You're not supposed to execute those binaries directly, you're supposed to copy them into a specific location in your file system, and then if you did that correctly they will be loaded automatically when the device driver modules initialize. Check https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...#L234-L235 for details - specifically, you should be copying them files into /lib/firmware/brcm/

Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to give that a shot.
And dmesg will tell you if it worked
dmesg |grep -i brcm
Thank you both for your help. It's greatly appreciated. I installed that particular firmware and patched it successfully, but unfortunately it didn't make a difference.

I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with my router's network settings (not that I know what setting could be affecting it because I don't have QoS on or anything).
I still haven't tried it on another wireless network, so I'm going to have to give that a shot to rule out that idea.

I'm going to re-install the Wifi/BT module and hope for the best.

I'm also considering just getting a USB Wifi adapter and giving that a shot as well if all else fails.

It is possible that the Pinebook Pro is experiencing slow download speeds due to a variety of factors. Some possible reasons for slow download speeds on the Pinebook Pro may include:

Network connectivity issues: The Pinebook Pro may be connected to a weak or congested wireless network, which can result in slow download speeds.

Limited bandwidth: The Pinebook Pro may be connected to a network with limited bandwidth, which can also result in slow download speeds.

Internet service provider (ISP) issues: The Pinebook Pro may be experiencing slow download speeds due to issues with the ISP, such as network congestion or maintenance work.

Outdated hardware or software: The Pinebook Pro's hardware or software may be outdated, which can lead to slow download speeds.

Malware or viruses: The Pinebook Pro may be infected with malware or viruses, which can slow down its performance and result in slow download speeds.

Other devices on the network: Other devices connected to the same network as the Pinebook Pro may be using up bandwidth, leading to slower download speeds for the Pinebook Pro.

It is important to identify the specific cause of the slow download speeds in order to address the issue and improve the performance of the Pinebook Pro.
Hello this is Gulshan Negi
Well, If possible, try connecting to a different wireless network to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the issue is specific to your network or if it's a problem with your device.
Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  multilib.db failed to download Paulperry3 1 2,483 08-17-2021, 04:51 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Chromium Dino game is slow/glitchy stozi 0 1,307 04-21-2021, 08:18 AM
Last Post: stozi
  Wifi very slow on PBP Manjaro? WeaseleyRon 2 2,953 01-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  Wifi very slow on PBP Manjaro motezart 3 3,949 10-13-2020, 07:30 PM
Last Post: wdt