PinePhone won't turn on
Hey everyone! Wasn't sure if anyone had encountered this issue. Spent some time searching the forums for issues powering on their device and incurred endless threads of battery performance issues instead.

I just received my new PinePhone Convergence model. I plugged it in to charge it and let it sit. When I plugged it in, the LED turned red, then yellow, and eventually the screen blinked on and off and the device seemed to power down again. I figured it needed time to charge and let it sit for an hour.

Unfortunately it's still happening exactly the same. The boot loop has stopped but the same sequence occurs after holding the Power button.

My PinePhone doesn't get to a boot screen even and it's been charging for over an hour now- It's like DOA but was wondering what kind of help I might find here.
did you check the battery?
Did you remove the back cover and then the clear plastic off the battery contacts as it says in the directions? If not that is the issue...
(07-04-2021, 05:05 PM)JMoore Wrote: Did you remove the back cover and then the clear plastic off the battery contacts as it says in the directions? If not that is the issue...

Did OP get this resolved?

I have a brand new out of the box Pinephone. I took the plastic off the battery and I am having the exact same issue.
I'm having similar but not same issue.  Also PinePhone Beta Convergence.  Did remove the plastic over battery terminals.  Battery was at 50% when delivered.  It worked fine at first boot with no SIM or SD installed.  
Left plugged in to charge overnight.  Used Samsung S9 charger and cord.  Verified that battery % was increasing before going to bed.
Morning, it would not wake up.  No response to buttons or touchscreen while plugged in.  
Unplugged and lock screen briefly appeared, showing 0% battery, then it shut itself off.  
Plugged back in, it charged to 100% and worked normally again.
Shutdown, removed back, installed nanoSIM w/adapter.  
Powered up and worked, but touchscreen extremely sluggish.  Verified WiFi and Mobile data functioned(Data only SIM).  Then turned off all radios.
When not plugged in, unable to get past lockscreen.  It tries for a second, then falls back to lock screen.
Phone continues past lockscreen just fine when plugged in.  Reverified this several times plugging and unplugging.
Left plugged in, charging while on till 100% battery, then shut off.
Next morning 0% battery.
Plug in, red led comes on, buttons and touchscreen non responsive, screen black, but slight backlight is showing.  I didn't notice this previously.  May or may not have been backlit.
Let charge 20 minutes, 
unplug, lockscreen comes up briefly, then goes full black(no backlight), except the red light comes on a few minutes later.
Hold power button 10 seconds, red light goes out.
Press button again and phone boots normally, shows 17% charge.  after 1 minute, it shows a warning at 9% charge.
The only things I have run on the phone are the lock/pin entry screen, camera app for 2 minutes(disappointing Jello rolling shutter, almost no color, no selfie image at all), and terminal long enough to type shutdown now when I forgot to put the back(including buttons) back on after installing SIM.

Not angry.  I understand glitches are to be expected.  I'm just reporting FWIW.
I have a Pinephone Beta Edition that shipped on May 26, 2021. It was working fine until a couple weeks ago when it began doing this.

I had the Manjaro/Plasma Mobile that it shipped with, plus I had Mobian/Phosh booting from an SD card. I didn't even use it all that much, because Bluetooth headset is kind of important for me day to day, which does not work for phone calls.

I was updating the Manjaro install when it quit. I think it was rebooting after updating, but I'm not certain. Now I cannot turn it on with the battery installed and USB disconnected.

With or without the battery, if I plug in the USB cable, the LED turns on green. After about 5 seconds, the display backlight turns on, screen is blank. At 7 seconds the device appears to shut off. If I press the power button to turn it back on with the USB cable still connected it repeats the same process.

I tried the SD card that was working fine, no difference.

This seems to me to be either:

1. A hardware failure. In which case the best option is probably to replace the board.

2. A BIOS, boot loader problem (I'm not very knowledgeable about this). I'm not sure if an update could have possibly affected this, but the coincidence with the update is suspicious. Nor do I know if this firmware is strictly read-only, or if there is anyway to fix it.
(07-10-2022, 11:53 AM)teneighty-yvr Wrote: I have a Pinephone Beta Edition that shipped on May 26, 2021. It was working fine until a couple weeks ago when it began doing this.

I had the Manjaro/Plasma Mobile that it shipped with, plus I had Mobian/Phosh booting from an SD card. I didn't even use it all that much, because Bluetooth headset is kind of important for me day to day, which does not work for phone calls.

I was updating the Manjaro install when it quit. I think it was rebooting after updating, but I'm not certain. Now I cannot turn it on with the battery installed and USB disconnected.

With or without the battery, if I plug in the USB cable, the LED turns on green. After about 5 seconds, the display backlight turns on, screen is blank. At 7 seconds the device appears to shut off. If I press the power button to turn it back on with the USB cable still connected it repeats the same process.

I tried the SD card that was working fine, no difference.

This seems to me to be either:

1. A hardware failure. In which case the best option is probably to replace the board.

2. A BIOS, boot loader problem (I'm not very knowledgeable about this). I'm not sure if an update could have possibly affected this, but the coincidence with the update is suspicious. Nor do I know if this firmware is strictly read-only, or if there is anyway to fix it.

Please open a separate thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,358 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 283 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,158 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,959 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,717 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,991 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,767 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 818 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,841 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,120 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega