Interested in contributing to the project--how can I help?
I am interested in developing software to contribute to the PinePhone project. Since Manjaro is the official distribution for PinePhone, I think it makes the most sense to start here. Does anyone have any suggestions about a good place to start that would be the most useful to the project?

A bit of background, I do not work in technology but I have been programming as a hobby for about 5 years.  I like to get into the weeds more than your average programming hobbiest, so I'm not shy about learning things like kernal or driver development (even though this would be new territory for me).  I'm mainly interested in seeing where contribution is needed the most in the medium/long term.  This would also be my first time contributing to an open source project, so apologies if this isn't the best approach to take.
There are innumerable ways to contribute, for example I mostly write configuration guides, have a look at my threads. The lowest the level you dive the more you should know about the specifics of the hardware.

You can research hardware issues, for example I want to design a better GPS antenna.

Another problem is the Plasma Dialer which is completely crap and makes the phone useless as a phone most of the times. I am planning to write a script with qdbus commands because I don't like high level programming.

I think that the best way is to try to tackle a specific problem that annoys you.

There is definitely a need for a power saving mode that suspends Plasma and most of the unnecessary hardware but gives the ability to makes calls, I have imagined it with a Frame Buffer GUI which could ultimately replace completely Plasma's compositor and make the phone fast and power efficient.