firefox-esr stopped working after June 18 update
It's been a while, and now I come back feeling like I missed a bunch of important events.  My own fault for not able to hang around as often.  Am I the only person affected because I'm still on 5.10? I  get an error message is i try to go anywhere beyond the welcome page when I start Firefox-ESR:Your connection is not secure(skipping a bunch).......error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY
As per: https://blog.kanbanmart.com/entry/firefox_error_http2

1. Go to "about:config".
2. Accept the warning.
3. Search for "network.http.spdy.enabled.http2".
4. Set the value to "false".

That worked on my end, as I got the same error.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(06-20-2021, 10:32 PM)ryo Wrote: As per: https://blog.kanbanmart.com/entry/firefox_error_http2

1. Go to "about:config".
2. Accept the warning.
3. Search for "network.http.spdy.enabled.http2".
4. Set the value to "false".

That worked on my end, as I got the same error.
wow!  That worked! Thank you, ryo!
(06-20-2021, 10:25 PM)HLing Wrote: It's been a while, and now I come back feeling like I missed a bunch of important events.  My own fault for not able to hang around as often.  Am I the only person affected because I'm still on 5.10? I  get an error message is i try to go anywhere beyond the welcome page when I start Firefox-ESR:Your connection is not secure(skipping a bunch).......error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY

Yeah I got this as well. Avoided the problem by swapping to full-strength Firefox (instead of -ESR) before I saw @ryo fix.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
The fix does allow me to load pages, but firefox is still displaying a yellow triangle over the lock, which is stating something about 'encryption' I think. It's way too small for me to read. In addition I've had more failures loading pages when clicking on a link in a page that did load. Not sure what it's all about and why firefox would have these problems. The desktop firefox and the android firefox are not affected. Chromium doesn't have this issue and neither does cog (which works very well on the pine phone with CogWebRun).

I'd like to get a hold of the latest firefox arm64 and give that a try, does anyone have a download link?
(06-22-2021, 11:36 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: The fix does allow me to load pages, but firefox is still displaying a yellow triangle over the lock, which is stating something about 'encryption' I think.

I had the same problem, used the fix mentioned above, but I'm also bothered by this 'warning' icon. The question is: Is it a real problem with encryption or something we can safely ignore? Sad

Didn't find anything about a known bug in Firefox ESR (I also don't have this problem on my regular Firefox on Desktop Linux)...
(06-22-2021, 11:36 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: The fix does allow me to load pages, but firefox is still displaying a yellow triangle over the lock, which is stating something about 'encryption' I think. It's way too small for me to read. In addition I've had more failures loading pages when clicking on a link in a page that did load. Not sure what it's all about and why firefox would have these problems. The desktop firefox and the android firefox are not affected. Chromium doesn't have this issue and neither does cog (which works very well on the pine phone with CogWebRun).

I'd like to get a hold of the latest firefox arm64 and give that a try, does anyone have a download link?

(06-23-2021, 08:22 AM)dante404 Wrote: I had the same problem, used the fix mentioned above, but I'm also bothered by this 'warning' icon. The question is: Is it a real problem with encryption or something we can safely ignore? Sad

Didn't find anything about a known bug in Firefox ESR (I also don't have this problem on my regular Firefox on Desktop Linux)...

Warning: technical talk.
Apparently, Firefox ESR seems to want to push the HTTP/2 protocol in a similar way as how Mozilla and Google pushed HTTPS a few years ago.
The HTTP/2 protocol must be enabled in the web server software itself (which is literally 1 extra keyword in nginx, not sure about Apache).
I have confirmed it with 1 website I know has HTTP/2 enabled, and the warning triangle didn't appear.
This is why a warning triangle appears even on HTTPS websites if the server administrator didn't enable HTTP/2 (yet).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(06-22-2021, 11:36 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: ...

If you add the sid repository you can install it via apt.

EDIT/UPDATE

Having installed full Firefox, you can regain the benefit of the pmOS mobile/phosh stylesheets by
1) copy the chrome directory and contents from your old -ESR profile in ~/.mozilla/firefox/ to the new profile directory (can see new/old based on timestamps)
2) in firefox goto about:config
3) set toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to true
4) restart firefox
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(06-23-2021, 10:38 PM)ryo Wrote: Warning: technical talk.
Apparently, Firefox ESR seems to want to push the HTTP/2 protocol in a similar way as how Mozilla and Google pushed HTTPS a few years ago.
The HTTP/2 protocol must be enabled in the web server software itself (which is literally 1 extra keyword in nginx, not sure about Apache).
I have confirmed it with 1 website I know has HTTP/2 enabled, and the warning triangle didn't appear.
This is why a warning triangle appears even on HTTPS websites if the server administrator didn't enable HTTP/2 (yet).

OK, thanks for clarfication!

What really confuses me is that Mozilla implements this new (game braking) change in the ESR version (before the regular one)... I always thought of ESR as the more stable and better tested, 'conservative' FF version (which lacks probably new features).
@dante404
I'd rather consider Pale Moon to be the 'conservative FF version', considering it's the only Firefox fork as far as I know that refuses to make its interface more like Chromium.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,711 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The internal speaker stops working anonymous 6 812 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM
  Why is Firefox ESR not listet under "Installed" in "Software" jojuma 0 553 08-30-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,247 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 962 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,903 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,674 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion
  Possible Solution for Microphone Not Working Ferriah 0 903 02-13-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Ferriah