Shame on pinephone
I flashing correctly, with balena etcher, i trying with my mac, or my linux computer. That same problem, i trying with msdos, fat 32 or ext3/ext4, that same problem. I change micro sd card three time an other, (sandisk)same problem. In micro sd card we have not locking, and in linux computer every time i authorize the program ad working as program. Correct no ?
In ubuntu touch when i put to sleeping, impossible i wake up my phone. In mobian impossible i use my cell phone for call, the sound is shrill, and for call a second time it necessary i put off my phone, and restart.
Ok maybe i flashing bad, but my Pinephone have a kde plasma mobile OS inside, that's not me i have instaled this one. It's original OS, why it's impossible i do update, he tell me "failed to activate service". With the original OS without sd card ?
With the beta test the automatic test the first, the more important, it in in red, "EC25 no sim" but the two cards are in their place. Therefore is the socket block sd card, sim card not working. Why the factory dont use the beta test edition at the end checking. How a devices got out with a broken mainboard. I use linux more ten year, i know that is necessary you put sometimes on your hand in the motor. But here it's too much. My phone is new. And for your information i know pmbootstrap and postmarket OS i use that for Samsung, i use ubport-installer for Xiaomi. And that's working ! Not your Pinephone, while is built for that's. That's better for the moment buy a second hand devices for 50$, go to orange fox, ubport-installer or pmbootsrap for installing mobian or ubuntu touch. Not buy a Pinephone futhermore your warranty is only 30 days without warranty iyour phone working correctly. Waouuu how you make a place betwin Android and Mac with that. You use the OS done by Linux, but you have not the philosophy Linux. The factory work is juste create one box with screen, put in a free OS create by Linux, and done. But where are the quality control? Never? It so expensive?
(06-17-2021, 09:40 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: i ordered a pinephone, i dream it because i use linux distribution more ten year, it's the logical sequence. But is better for me i have brocken legs, rather than ordred this shit phone. This phone do not work, since the first day, every time in Plasma mobile, Ubuntu touch or Mobian, when i put in fonction, he write : "Failed to activate service, verify the sd card formating". I trying fat32, msdos and ext3/ext4 with Balena Etcher, but it's the same problem. Impossible i do update, impossible i installing synaptics, impossible i phone. In more in ubuntu touch the phone work juste only once, when i put to sleeping, not possible to wake up this phone. It's the mainboard is broken, yes it's the customer service tell me that's, after i make the beta test, beta test is bad because the automatic test is in red, and write "EG25 no sim" it's clear no. Ok i'm very disapointed, because the factory has not an quality test, it's not professional you know. But normaly there is a customer service for these problem.... No, the customer service is deaf and blind, beacause they received my money, and now there are no problem for them, only for me with my broken phone. In fact they want that's i pay again for sendind my phone ad the China factory for testing my mainboard, or only the mainboard in USA. Soon one month i write, soon 50 mails, My problem is my problem, not their problem, you know, they ave recept my money and that's finish for them, it's only thing interest them. After nobody. A little explain for you tell you, don't trust Pinephone that's not an philosophy Linux, that's a dollars philosophy. I'm very disapointed, i'm very angry, and i will make a Youtube video, for demonstrate this shame. That's write Angry Angry Angry
Do you have a SIM card inserted that you've activated? Perhaps you could list what the issues you're experiencing are so we can help you troubleshoot them
> "Failed to activate service, verify the sd card formating".

Try re-writing your post as "PinePhone Failed SD Card Flash".

A few questions for you:

* Have you tried flashing using different SD cards?

* Have you tried flashing using a different machine?

* Have you tried reading the flashed image back (after unplugging it from the computer), copying the binary and testing that it was written as expected? You would need to do a binary diff.

> I trying fat32, msdos and ext3/ext4 with Balena Etcher, but it's the same problem.

You don't need to write a filesystem to the SD card. You are doing this wrong. Please follow the instructions online *exactly*.
(06-17-2021, 09:40 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: i ordered a pinephone, i dream it because i use linux distribution more ten year, it's the logical sequence. But is better for me i have brocken legs, rather than ordred this shit phone. This phone do not work, since the first day, every time in Plasma mobile, Ubuntu touch or Mobian, when i put in fonction, he write : "Failed to activate service, verify the sd card formating". I trying fat32, msdos and ext3/ext4 with Balena Etcher, but it's the same problem. Impossible i do update, impossible i installing synaptics, impossible i phone. In more in ubuntu touch the phone work juste only once, when i put to sleeping, not possible to wake up this phone. It's the mainboard is broken, yes it's the customer service tell me that's, after i make the beta test, beta test is bad because the automatic test is in red, and write "EG25 no sim" it's clear no. Ok i'm very disapointed, because the factory has not an quality test, it's not professional you know. But normaly there is a customer service for these problem.... No, the customer service is deaf and blind, beacause they received my money, and now there are no problem for them, only for me with my broken phone. In fact they want that's i pay again for sendind my phone ad the China factory for testing my mainboard, or only the mainboard in USA. Soon one month i write, soon 50 mails, My problem is my problem, not their problem, you know, they ave recept my money and that's finish for them, it's only thing interest them. After nobody. A little explain for you tell you, don't trust Pinephone that's not an philosophy Linux, that's a dollars philosophy. I'm very disapointed, i'm very angry, and i will make a Youtube video, for demonstrate this shame. That's write Angry Angry Angry

Just want to point this out: The Pinephone is sold as a beta device because of the fact that the software is not yet fully complete nor reliable. There is no technical support provided with the device either, which is exactly why support is telling you that it's not their issue to resolve. Your only paying for the hardware, and there is only a 30 day limited warranty on that hardware. There is *no* expectation of the software working (how can they promise it working if they don't develop it nor maintain it themselves?) at this time nor will they provide software support. Users are supposed to reach out in the chat and forums for help if they have a problem and get help from the community.

I will confidently say that your hardware is not broken. The modem simply will fail the automatic test if there is no sim card installed. As for the other issues you are having it, it sounds like the other reply is correct in that you are incorrectly flashing your device. There is detailed instructions available on the wiki on how to do so correctly.
I flashing correctly, with Balena Etcher, i trying with my mac, or my linux computer. That same problem, i trying with msdos, fat 32 or ext3/ext4, that same problem. I change micro sd card three time an other,(sandisk) same problem. In micro sd card we have not locking, and in linux computer every time i authorize the program ad working as program. Correct no ?
In ubuntu touch when i put to sleeping, impossible i wake up my phone. In mobian impossible i use my cell phone for call, the sound is shrill, and for call a second time it necessary i put off my phone, and restart.
Ok maybe i flashing bad, but my Pinephone have a kde plasma mobile OS inside, that's not me i have instaled this one. It's original OS, why it's impossible i do update, he tell me "failed to activate service". With the original OS without sd card ?
With the beta test the automatic test, the first, the more important, it in in red, "EC25 no sim" but the two cards are in their place. Therefore is the socket block sd card, sim card not working. Why the factory dont use the beta test edition at the end checking. How a devices got out with a broken mainboard. I use linux more ten year, i know that is necessary you put sometimes on your hand in the motor. But here it's too much. My phone is new. And for your information i know pmbootstrap and postmarket OS i use that for Samsung, i use ubport-installer for Xiaomi. And that's working ! Not your Pinephone, while is built for that's. That's better for the moment buy a second hand devices for 50$, go to orange fox, ubport-installer or pmbootsrap for installing mobian or ubuntu touch. Not buy a Pinephone futhermore your warranty is only 30 days without warranty your phone working correctly. Waouuu how you make a place betwin Android and Mac with that. You use the OS make by Linux, but you have not the philosophy Linux. The factory work is juste create one box with screen, put in a free OS create by Linux, and done. But where are the quality control? Never? It so expensive?
/*OFF TOPIC*/
@dooblewoops as an aside to your issues (your pms are disabled, so i couldn't send this request privately) please refrain from submitting the same post or thread multiple times. if you don't see it right away, it's bc we need to approve it as not spam (we get plenty) while your account is still young. there are many of us mods here, so someone will see it and approve it. reposting just crowds up the moderation queue.

thanks, i hope you find resolution for your issues with the phone.
(06-17-2021, 09:40 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: I flashing correctly, with balena etcher, i trying with my mac, or my linux computer. That same problem, i trying with msdos, fat 32 or ext3/ext4, that same problem. I change micro sd card three time an other, (sandisk)same problem. In micro sd card we have not locking, and in linux computer every time i authorize the program ad working as program. Correct no ?
With the beta test the automatic test the first, the more important, it in in red, "EC25 no sim" but the two cards are in their place. Therefore is the socket block sd card, sim card not working. Why the factory dont use the beta test edition at the end checking. How a devices got out with a broken mainboard. I use linux more ten year, i know that is necessary you put sometimes on your hand in the motor. But here it's too much. My phone is new. And for your information i know pmbootstrap and postmarket OS i use that for Samsung, i use ubport-installer for Xiaomi. And that's working ! Not your Pinephone, while is built for that's. That's better for the moment buy a second hand devices for 50$, go to orange fox, ubport-installer or pmbootsrap for installing mobian or ubuntu touch. Not buy a Pinephone futhermore your warranty is only 30 days without warranty iyour phone working correctly. Waouuu how you make a place betwin Android and Mac with that. You use the OS done by Linux, but you have not the philosophy Linux. The factory work is juste create one box with screen, put in a free OS create by Linux, and done. But where are the quality control? Never? It so expensive?

I have had my Pinephone over a year now and have yet to get any of the basic stuff to work can not even take a simple picture lol

Every OS I installed same thing nothing works, pretty sure they shipped me a defective unit as nothing has worked you'd think out of the box it would take pictures and play mp3's and videos NOPE NOTHING regardless of the OS I installed.
Yes of course, in more : - - Shipping cost for the return of the item to RMA Center will be responsible by buyer.
- Items that are returned for a refund are subject a 15% restocking fee(per unit). YES RESTOKING !!! I have the mail !!!
If it not suffisant : All board, device, and accessories sold on the Pine Store are entitled to a 30 days Limited Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
I love Linux and I hate Pinephone. Only 30 days, this is the demonstration he does not believe in their materials.
Bad experience and i will let it be known of course.
(06-17-2021, 09:40 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: ...
And for your information i know pmbootstrap and postmarket OS i use that for Samsung
I'm pretty sure pmbootstrap uses a different method for flashing that is Android specific and is not necessary for a PinePhone.
The way I installed pmOS on my PinePhone is this:
-generate disk image with pmbootsrap install
-install Jumpdrive on a microSD card
-insert Jumpdrive into phone
-boot from microSD
-connect phone to pmbootstrap machine
-figure out which entry in /dev or /dev/disk is the eMMC block device
-copy disk image to it using dd

So basically if you have block device access, then there is no need for anything other than dd. You don't have to convert the disk image, you should definitely not format the microSD, etc. Just use dd.

I'm pretty sure you could just dd the image to your microSD, but I wanted to use eMMC, so I needed Jumpdrive. If you want to install directly to the microSD card, then I think you can just do that with dd, but I haven't tried that. But I'm 99% sure it would work.

If you need more help, feel free to ask.
I'm sorry, but when many other people can get it working just fine, should the shame be on Pine? Or on people who can't get it to work and come here and post such hyperbole in frustration?

I think we have all been frustrated when things don't work out, but (thankfully) not all of us make such posts lashing out at Pine.

Personally, I think they are doing us a great service, selling interesting devices which you simply cannot find anywhere else.

Keep in mind also, that the only people who can likely help you are your fellow users of this (or other) forum(s), and like grandma used to say "you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar!"
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 300 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,149 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,940 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,480 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,607 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,670 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma