Shame on pinephone
The Etcher problem has nothing to do with the Pinephone.
It's like street lights not turning on at night, and putting the blame on your car.

That aside, a Pinephone is not an iPhone.
You literally only buy the platform, the software side is up to the Linux community to make.
And that's exactly the whole point of the Pinephone and Pinebook Pro too.
So obviously there's no quality control on the software side.

Before you tell me about Android, most Android phone makers put their own bells and whistles into the OS, and probably drivers too.
These phone makers are responsible for all those extras, but not the OS itself.

There's no such thing as "the OS done/created by Linux", Linux is neither a company nor a person.
Linux phones are never meant to compete with Android and iOS, just like how Linux and BSD PCs are never meant to compete with Windows and macOS.
Linux has always been the free hobbyist project that exists as an option for enthusiasts.

There have been other companies over the past decade that tried to compete with Android and iOS, like Microsoft (Windows Phone), Mozilla (Firefox OS), Samsung (Tizen), Canonical (Ubuntu Touch), and Jolla (Sailfish OS), they all got droned down before they even got attention.
Why? They all wanted to become yet another mainstream OS for everyone, and they all wanted to compete with Android and iOS, and Big Tech hates competition.
Linux on the other hand is still a niche in many aspects, which is really the only way projects like these can exist.
So if you don't know how to work with it, then this is just not a phone for you.

I hope this helps.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(06-18-2021, 09:15 PM)K_Research Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 09:40 AM)dooblewoop Wrote: I have had my Pinephone over a year now and have yet to get any of the basic stuff to work can not even take a simple picture lol

Every OS I installed same thing nothing works, pretty sure they shipped me a defective unit as nothing has worked you'd think out of the box it would take pictures and play mp3's and videos NOPE NOTHING regardless of the OS I installed.

Hello K_Research, I may be able to find a solution for you. Pinephone can work with other OS on SD card, but is not the better solution. It's better your OS is in eMMC, not SD card. For it thats necessary you download Jumdrive here https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...e/releases  download the last version tar.gz.
Then that's nessary you have Etcher or Raspberry imager, choise your better for you. For installing it, browse the network.
Then follow the instruction here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXB1b-NW81o.
After thats you may maybe a Pinephone working correctly. My phone working, for calling, SMS and applications. I hope i help you

(06-21-2021, 01:19 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: I tell you the problem is not the device, the problem is customer service. He not know give correctly instruction. You recept a device dont work in KDE plasma Mobile, and he tell me download the beta edition, not KDE beta test. Of course the resultat test is not good, in more a lot youtube video tell Pinephone is so easy for other OS with SD card. You anderstand i dont installing mobian in eMMC if my device dont work correctly, if my device hase a factory problem. That's an eventuality you know. I dont no change the eMMC OS (for warranty) before i'm sure the device have not a factory problem. Now is good my device work on mobian eMMC. Problem resolved
(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: I flashing correctly, with Balena Etcher, i trying with my mac, or my linux computer.

As already mentioned, this may not be the appropriate process for *every* OS you try to flash. Checkout the Pine64 Wiki and copy the instructions there *exactly*.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: That same problem, i trying with msdos, fat 32 or ext3/ext4, that same problem. I change micro sd card three time an other,(sandisk) same problem.

You should not be setting the filesystem as far as I'm aware. This makes me think you are flashing a partition rather than the entire disk.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: In micro sd card we have not locking, and in linux computer every time i authorize the program ad working as program. Correct no ?

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: In ubuntu touch when i put to sleeping, impossible i wake up my phone. In mobian impossible i use my cell phone for call, the sound is shrill, and for call a second time it necessary i put off my phone, and restart.

It's not a finished product yet, these things are being actively fixed. If you want a finished product, spend 10x or 20x more on an iPhone.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Ok maybe i flashing bad, but my Pinephone have a kde plasma mobile OS inside, that's not me i have instaled this one. It's original OS, why it's impossible i do update, he tell me "failed to activate service".

Which Country are you trying to perform the updates from? I'm aware for example that China has been known to block package servers (which is how a bunch of Apple developers out there ended up using a rooted library). The fact you are not able to perform the update seems like a networking issue.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: With the original OS without sd card ?
With the beta test the automatic test, the first, the more important, it in in red, "EC25 no sim" but the two cards are in their place. Therefore is the socket block sd card, sim card not working.

It could just mean that your sim/carrier combination are not yet supported. Again, it's still a work in progress.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: Why the factory dont use the beta test edition at the end checking. How a devices got out with a broken mainboard. I use linux more ten year, i know that is necessary you put sometimes on your hand in the motor. But here it's too much. My phone is new. And for your information i know pmbootstrap and postmarket OS i use that for Samsung, i use ubport-installer for Xiaomi. And that's working ! Not your Pinephone, while is built for that's.

You have not purchased a Samsung phone, you have purchased a work in progress. If you want a phone that "just works", go buy an Android or iOS device.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: That's better for the moment buy a second hand devices for 50$, go to orange fox, ubport-installer or pmbootsrap for installing mobian or ubuntu touch. Not buy a Pinephone futhermore your warranty is only 30 days without warranty your phone working correctly. Waouuu how you make a place betwin Android and Mac with that. You use the OS make by Linux, but you have not the philosophy Linux.

Again, PinePhone is nothing like the devices you are comparing it to.

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: The factory work is juste create one box with screen, put in a free OS create by Linux, and done.

It's incredibly more complicated, you have no idea. Also the factory just flash community images, they don't write or test any software. (They may check some basic functionality, but that is it.)

(06-18-2021, 10:29 AM)dooblewoops Wrote: But where are the quality control? Never? It so expensive?

The sort of quality you are after doesn't exist here yet. This is not a finished product.
I am not sure if you are an english speaker but "shame on" is pretty strong language without resorting to profanity.

The whole point of the pinephone and other pine64 gadgets is we have a bespoke hardware platform at a ridiculously low price for something so customized and with such a small user base.  It is like buying a Lego set, we are responsible for building the OSs not Pine64 they just sell some cool hacker hardware.
Fortunately the community is doing their part and we are building the software side so in the future noobs might be able to pick up a fully working noob grade pinephone.
As much for you as for the rest of the community to see I invite you to view a small slice of the work process side of Debian mobile:
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...m-features
and
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=wishlist

Again Pine64 only makes the very cool but dead hardware waiting for a community written software soul to bring it to life, dont shame Pine64 for making exactly what hacking enthusiasts desire, that is the only target market right now, all others are warned away in the store and most online articles.
Hello i think for 200$ it's normal i have a phone working, minimum for calling and SMS, If when i get out box, he not working. Of course i'm not happy. I know Linux more ten year, and i know that's necessary i put my hand in the motor. I make a Samsung with ubport-installer work better than a pinephone, while pinephone is make for it. It's a very good idea you make a phone with respect privacy, but the factory quality control, and the customer service is not good. And broken the good work of the programmers. And shame on pinephone is only for the customer service and factory. The customer service ask me 15% value of pinephone in RMA for restocking. It's an explain why i receive a pinephone don't work, because factory restocking the breaking pinephone, and resend this one just he have a customer do not return this one. (It's a current bad attitude of network sale) And i'm not alone for this problem, check your forum you know.
Pinephone the more discreet phone for your private life, of course he do not work.
In abstract actually is better you buy a old samsung for 50$ using ubport-installer or orange fox or pmbootstarp, and you have linux distribution in your phone. But for this moment pinephone is not like publicity... it's sad
(06-29-2021, 05:09 PM)dooblewoops Wrote: Hello i think for 200$ it's normal i have a phone working, minimum for calling and SMS, If when i get out  box, he not working. Of course i'm not happy. I know Linux more ten year, and i know that's necessary i put my hand in the motor. I make a Samsung with ubport-installer work better than a pinephone, while pinephone is make for it. It's a very good idea you make a phone with respect privacy, but the factory quality control, and the customer service is not good. And broken the good work of the programmers. And shame on pinephone is only for the customer service and factory. The customer service ask me 15% value of pinephone in RMA for restocking. It's an explain why i receive a pinephone don't work, because factory restocking the breaking pinephone, and resend this one just he have a customer do not return this one. (It's a current bad attitude of network sale) And i'm not alone for this problem, check your forum you know.
Pinephone the more discreet phone for your private life, of course he do not work.
In abstract actually is better you buy a old samsung for 50$ using ubport-installer or orange fox or pmbootstarp, and you have linux distribution in your phone. But for this moment pinephone is not like publicity... it's sad
If you bother reading the description on the product page here https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-bet...martphone/, it starts with the following:

"This is the Beta Edition of the PinePhone. The pre-installed Manjaro with Plasma Mobile OS, that ships with this edition of the PinePhone, is a beta software build. This effectively means that while core functionality of the PinePhone still an ongoing effort. Thus, the device cannot considered a consumer-ready product."

I repeat, "This device cannot be considered a consumer-ready product".
That you did not read this before you bought the pinephone is 100% your fault. This never claimed to be user-ready, and if you need a functional phone, of course right now it is cheaper and more practical to get a used phone for which software support has had more time to be perfected by the community.

Pine64 is not exactly making a profit off of these devices, and because no profit, of course they wouldn't have a large staff for anything like customer service. This is not that type of establishment.
(06-29-2021, 09:10 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: If you bother reading the description on the product page here https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-bet...martphone/, it starts with the following:

Spoiler: They didn't bother to read the product page.

(06-29-2021, 09:10 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: "This is the Beta Edition of the PinePhone. The pre-installed Manjaro with Plasma Mobile OS, that ships with this edition of the PinePhone, is a beta software build. This effectively means that while core functionality of the PinePhone still an ongoing effort. Thus, the device cannot considered a consumer-ready product."

Exactly. If you want something running a Unix-OS that is idiot proof, get an iPhone or Android device.

(06-29-2021, 09:10 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: I repeat, "This device cannot be considered a consumer-ready product".
That you did not read this before you bought the pinephone is 100% your fault. This never claimed to be user-ready, and if you need a functional phone, of course right now it is cheaper and more practical to get a used phone for which software support has had more time to be perfected by the community.

The fact that Pine is offering an 85% refund is actually pretty good, @dooblewoops should take the offer. Either that or sell it to the community (although I don't know if anybody else will want to deal with them after what has been written above).

(06-29-2021, 09:10 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Pine64 is not exactly making a profit off of these devices, and because no profit, of course they wouldn't have a large staff for anything like customer service. This is not that type of establishment.

Yeah, that's exactly why they are so cheap. They keep comparing a brand new open-source PinePhone to a second-hand closed-source Samsung, meaning they are entirely missing the point of the PinePhone.
some related information.

pinephone installation is different than fastboot devices. in pinephone, whole sd card or internal memory is written with image file containing partitions and filesystems. whereas in fastboot, only partition is written.

i have learned that in fastboot systems, user may not have total control. fastboot controller may decide it won't install this or that image. therefore, pinephone is better because i can overwrite whole disk or sdcard or internal memory.
(06-29-2021, 05:09 PM)dooblewoops Wrote: Hello i think for 200$ it's normal i have a phone working, minimum for calling and SMS, If when i get out  box, he not working. Of course i'm not happy. I know Linux more ten year, and i know that's necessary i put my hand in the motor. I make a Samsung with ubport-installer work better than a pinephone, while pinephone is make for it. It's a very good idea you make a phone with respect privacy, but the factory quality control, and the customer service is not good. And broken the good work of the programmers. And shame on pinephone is only for the customer service and factory. The customer service ask me 15% value of pinephone in RMA for restocking. It's an explain why i receive a pinephone don't work, because factory restocking the breaking pinephone, and resend this one just he have a customer do not return this one. (It's a current bad attitude of network sale) And i'm not alone for this problem, check your forum you know.

(Despite suspecting user dooblewoops' may just be forum trolling; I am responding, as I think others are, in order that web searches can find this question answered.)
It is petty simple, no matter the user's skill level the pinephone is not sold to primarily be a functional phone software and even hardware, Pine64 gadgets including Pinephone are manufactured and sold to be a development platforms, even the Pinecil soldering iron is a demo for the RISC-V processor  I still have an OpenMoko and I am sad to say it was never a great phone to actually use as a phone with a useful daily driver experience, in fact I could only receive calls 50% of the time with my favorite OS.  It was the first major FOSS focused mobile phone dev platform before smart phones were really a thing.
Now, I hope we can turn the Pinephone into a great daily driver, if you wait it will probably happen, we are almost there on Mobian.
Your Samsung is sold primarily as a consumer electronics device with a finished OS and hardware, development on the top to bottom lever we can do with the Pinephone is simply impossible on a Samsung or any of the consumer telephones because for many components the full datasheet is secret and only released to developers under a non-disclosure contract, that means that the drivers will always be secret-source binary blobs and can never be open source unless someone laboriously reverse engineers all of the functions.  That is why you can't natively install your favorite OS on android or apple phones, it is also why even the all-Linux Nokia N900 can never have it's native community maintained Linux OS upgraded as it would break the closed source drivers and therefore there are kludges and incomplete functionality with all of the alternate OSs you can sometimes hack onto the phones like you are now using for your samsung, they require hacks, bridges, and spoofs to use the android device drivers, we can have no idea what is in that code unless someone leaks the source code and even if you have bridger or used an open source android build fork like LineageOS you can only upgrade to a new kernel version only if the manufacturer releases all of the secret code hardware drivers built for that specific kernel version.

I suggest you look into some Richard Stallman thoughts on the topic of free open source software especially FOSS drivers but I think this compares the pinephone situation and buyer agreement:
Pinephone=top to bottom hardware selected so that FOSS drivers are possible(and you can add hardware with pogo pins, and you can disable radios and cameras with hardware switches), the device is custom built specifically for the needs of a tiny minority community of paranoid-purist developer users only all other are warned not to buy, the end user understands that community has to make the OS for the phone to work, nobody is buying a working daily driver ready Pinephone in the current setup, only warranty is that the hardware will pass factory test you are expected to hack it.
Other phones=unknown secret code at all or some levels of the OS, the hardware, OS, and software is designed to the needs of providers not users but hopefully a nice easy curated but walled in user experience, everyone even devs expect a working phone on delivery not just tested hardware(hardware only prototypes(like pinephone) are only available in company dev labs), warranty covers hardware and software unless it is voided by loading your own OS or remove even a single screw
(06-30-2021, 05:42 AM)biketool Wrote: (Despite suspecting user dooblewoops' may just be forum trolling; I am responding, as I think others are, in order that web searches can find this question answered.)
i was suspecting some kind troller or creating chaos as well. backstabbing on a public forum is not a good idea, so we usually respond in polite manner and sometimes put clarifying details or counter questions which may eventually reveal true motives.

i think pinephone managed to do crucial success even though software still has serious issues. ubuntu touch basically failed and librem didn't manage gain steam. what i know those two still should have some credit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 534 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 337 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 227 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,845 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,772 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 597 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,332 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 489 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,671 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,932 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma