Dumb phone with kill switches?
Hello everyone

does anyone know if there is basic dumb phone with kill switches available or any prospects of Pinephone manufacturer to develop such a product? Many people are turning to those simple phones as a response of becoming too overwhelmed with the ever more complicated and time consuming smart phones. And Pinephone is quite big in size too.

And what you think about the KaiOS operating system, whether it is secure without any backdoors for agencies to listen your microphone? Some Nokia dumb phones have it. Are they any good privacy wise?

Cheers
(06-17-2021, 06:24 AM)Mtravel Wrote: Hello everyone

does anyone know if there is basic dumb phone with kill switches available or any prospects of Pinephone manufacturer to develop such a product? Many people are turning to those simple phones as a response of becoming too overwhelmed with the ever more complicated and time consuming smart phones. And Pinephone is quite big in size too.

And what you think about the KaiOS operating system, whether it is secure without any backdoors for agencies to listen your microphone? Some Nokia dumb phones have it. Are they any good privacy wise?

Cheers

basic phone with kill switches, short answer, no. although, i don't know does actual technical basic phone even need kill switches, if it is basic enough. pinephone software with only basic functions might be possible, but i don't think developers are interested that much. what makes previous more complicated is lte-voice. in the future lte-voice is practically mandatory.

i don't know enough about kaios. however kaios has kaiaccount, which seems to be not required. kaios is heading somewhat to centralized direction which worries me. what i know kaios is better than average android in case of privacy but not necessarily good enough.

generally speaking, i'm much more worried about big corporations than bad governments.
Thanks for your reply. I don't know if you have seen it but this corona hoax is perpetrated by bad governments. And they try to spy and harrass anyone who exposes their crimes against humanity. I thought Edward Snowden said they used to take battery out even on dumb phones when he worked for CIA/NSA. If Linux and Pinephone technical components are safe (and third party) then why to have those kill switches on it either? It sounds like more safe option even without the switches in comparison to some old basic phones with fixed firmware and OS like some Nokias or Siemens from 15 years ago or so. Nokia's ex-lawyer( kind of whistleblower) said they were contacted by NSA back in the old days about the NSA's policy to records all phone calls. But to record and listen phone calls is different than listening a phone that is not having a call atm. I wonder how they may hack the system if it's not having a call? Whether on Linux or some of those old dumb fixed OS's.
(07-01-2021, 01:21 PM)Mtravel Wrote: Thanks for your reply. I don't know if you have seen it but this corona hoax is perpetrated by bad governments. And they try to spy and harrass anyone who exposes their crimes against humanity. I thought Edward Snowden said they used to take battery out even on dumb phones when he worked for CIA/NSA. If Linux and Pinephone technical components are safe (and third party) then why to have those kill switches on it either? It sounds like more safe option even without the switches in comparison to some old basic phones with fixed firmware and OS like some Nokias or Siemens from 15 years ago or so. Nokia's  ex-lawyer( kind of whistleblower) said they were contacted by NSA back in the old days about the NSA's policy to records all phone calls. But to record and listen phone calls is different than listening a phone that is not having a call atm. I wonder how they may hack the system if it's not having a call? Whether on Linux or some of those old dumb fixed OS's.
unfortunaley, coronavirus is not a hoax, it is serious human killing virus. i got my first shot of corona vaccine vaccine already and i recommend everyone to get vaccine when it's available. take only valid vaccines.

taking battery out is required on some extreme situations. phones can be turned on remotely and network can ping phones and listen mics. phone won't turn on visibly. pinephone has eg25g baseband which has own software, however it does not have direct connection to mic but network could ping it if getting power from battery.

kill switches may not be required if one trusts software, however, killswitches disables power, might be useful some extreme cases. in my knowledge software switches won't disconnect power in pinephone.

generally speaking, i try to avoid politics, but in the u.s., conservative movement and republican party have become totally illegitimate movements , they oppose people and democracy 100% of a time. this is not politics as usual.
I wish we wouldn't discuss covid here... I recommend don't do what anyone recommends. Do your own research and make your own decisions. I do find your statements about politics kind of ironic, frankly, but I'm not trying to put you down. The official "left" and "right" think exactly the same things about each other. The truth is somewhere else and it sure isn't on TV.

Unfortunately the line between big government and big corporations is pretty non-existent these days.

Anyway, it seems that "dumb phones" are going the way of AMPS, very quickly. They are a dead end. But they all seem to have pretty good privacy switches. At least of all the ones I've seen, the battery is easily and quickly removable.
(07-01-2021, 11:46 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I wish we wouldn't discuss covid here... I recommend don't do what anyone recommends.
technically speaking, i agree in this place. but problem is, if somebody start politics either pro or anti then i think i can counter answer.

you might be sincere in your post. even you said politics in your post.

(07-01-2021, 11:46 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Do your own research and make your own decisions.
internet has lot of misinformation out there. facebook and right-wing media doesn't make issues easier.

(07-01-2021, 11:46 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I do find your statements about politics kind of ironic, frankly, but I'm not trying to put you down.  The official "left" and "right" think exactly the same things about each other.  The truth is somewhere else and it sure isn't on TV.
your message might be sophisticated propaganda tactic. claiming some kind of goodness, in this case middle view blaming both left and right. in reality is to just blame left side when right wing view is far less worse. basically lowering other side so own side doesn't look that bad.

(07-01-2021, 11:46 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Unfortunately the line between big government and big corporations is pretty non-existent these days.
in theory we have voting rights over government but not over corporations. in practice it may not work this way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
if you too lazy to read. people have tendency believe something which confirms person's own beliefs or preconceptions. we all should be aware of this.
That, and life is much bigger than popular politics, the internet, and mass media. We all need to manage our time with such things.
(07-01-2021, 11:21 PM)zetabeta Wrote: generally speaking, i try to avoid politics, but in the u.s., conservative movement and republican party have become totally illegitimate movements , they oppose people and democracy 100% of a time. this is not politics as usual.

Please don't phrase your personal (and rather ignorant) opinions as if they were facts, especially if they don't serve to find a common ground but only to further divide people.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(07-02-2021, 12:27 PM)moonwalkers Wrote: Please don't phrase your personal (and rather ignorant) opinions as if they were facts, especially if they don't serve to find a common ground but only to further divide people.
could you please clarify with sources.
(07-02-2021, 12:46 PM)zetabeta Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 12:27 PM)moonwalkers Wrote: Please don't phrase your personal (and rather ignorant) opinions as if they were facts, especially if they don't serve to find a common ground but only to further divide people.
could you please clarify with sources.

(07-01-2021, 11:21 PM)zetabeta Wrote: conservative movement and republican party have become totally illegitimate movements , they oppose people and democracy 100% of a time.

"They oppose people" - there are tons of people that vote for republicans. E.g. most of Kansas and a huge chunk of rural Washington state, just off the top of my head. Unless you don't consider them people any longer?
"and democracy" - republicans are not one unified front, and far from everyone in the party likes Trump, even less so what he did during the last elections. There is a substantial list of people that denounced Trump's baseless claims of fraud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican...aud_claims
"100% of a time" - :facepalm:

In general though, you are the one who made substantial claims, asking me for proof that your claims are not true is a logical fallacy. The burden of proof is on the one who's making the claims, i.e. you. So it's you're the one who's got to provide the proof that conservative movement (or at least just the republican party) have become "totally illegitimate", you're the one who's got to provide the proof that they "oppose people and democracy", and you're the one who's got to provide the proof that they do that "100% of a [sic] time". Until you do - your claims are baseless, they are no more than your personal (and rather uninformed) opinion, just like Trump's claims of voting fraud that lacked any supporting evidence.

And these are very inflammatory claims at that. These types of claims do not serve to find a common ground between the people, these types of claims serve only to start religious and civil wars. Not a lot of people are able to discuss politics without making such unsubstantiated claims, which, BTW, is the reason why discussing politics on these forums is considered against the rules. Besides the fact that politics really has little to nothing to do with the Pine64's products and making those products work for Pine64's customers' projects.

So unless you have a substantial (beyond any reasonable doubts) proof to your claims - let's stop the discussion right here, and speak of politics no more. And if you do - perhaps we should find a different forum for this type of discussion anyway. But either way - until you're ready to provide supporting evidence for your claims, just refrain from making any, especially if they risk alienating people you don't even know you might one day have to deal with.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine vacuum cleaner and door phone norayr 3 399 01-16-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: hanajijang
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,123 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,657 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
  Linux desktop on a Snapdragon 870 phone. Vasant 0 1,206 06-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Vasant
  Who to contact at PinePhone for Lost Phone Scooterman 3 2,983 11-27-2021, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Scooterman
  Suggestion: For future Pinephones, please place kill switches outside around the edge unix21311 3 2,799 11-22-2021, 05:59 PM
Last Post: fire219
  USB voice modem for non-phone devices? nas 1 1,950 09-15-2021, 09:34 PM
Last Post: pbp_user234
  Buy a phone kaizmoto1489 1 2,393 06-09-2021, 01:50 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  Good calculator on the Linux Phone? And general lack of mobile responsive apps programmin 5 5,349 06-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Last Post: awaittrot
  Flip phone, low power, long battery life vandys 8 5,878 01-16-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: ryo