pulseaudio crashing the O.S.
I've had the pinephone a few months now. It is not my regular phone, for me it is just a fun hobby. I've been using Phosh on Arch. 

Today was audio play day. I unpacked a few hundred sound files I've collected over the years. Most were wave and I converted them using ffmpeg to ogg.
I played them on my PC and found some froze mpv when playing, so weeded them out. 

Now I am starting to play them on the phone and find that not only is pulse spitting an error "Stream error: Timeout" after a frustrating delay, but once I get that error I can not reboot, shutdown or any other admin task. It won't even let me drop down the top bar or login from the login shield.

I've played the files on an updated fresh install. Via the terminal and via ssh. 

Quote:pulseaudio -k 
pulseaudio: invalid option -- '�'
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to parse command line.

killall pulseaudio appears to kill it. But

Quote:pulseaudio -D
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

After more play, I found Killall will fix the freeze issue of the O.S. and after I can play sound again with occasional extreme delays.  

I've tentatively identified the offending sound files, so far all are 
vorbis, 8000 Hz, mono, fltp, 22 kb/s

So maybe it's 8000 Hz. I'm going to convert again and specify 22,000 Hz and see how that works.

---------- Edit Below!

It appears to be the issue. I converted over 300 files to ogg with 22,000 Hz bitrate of 64k and made them all stereo to be on the safe side.
Quote:ffmpeg -i input.wav -ac 2 -ar 22000 -b:a 64k output.ogg
They all now play on the pinephone no issue.
Instead of deleting the post because it is resolved, I'll leave it up for anyone with the same issue googling.
Don't miss the Doughnut by looking through the hole.