Mobian not updating via Software app
@bcnaz I checked this morning to see if there was any updates for my phone. I opened up the "Software" app and it showed this error message.
"Unable to get list of updates:
failed to update metadata for lvfs: checksum
failure: failed to verify data, expected"

But since I updated my phone last week, maybe that error message is due to now updates being available, I did run the update command in terminal right after and it shows my phone is currently up to date.

(08-23-2021, 03:12 AM)bcnaz Wrote: update :
  The GUI Software store is still not loading with the available new software.
But I was able to do OS updates using the store,  and using cellular data.  :-)
  This is using August 22 nightly  (Bookworm on sd card)

Sent from my PMOS Conv. phone using PureTalk cell. data

@FOSSagent0
  Are you still having a problem updating ?

This IS BETA  testing software so . . . . .

There is gonna be some maintainance  required

Some people were claiming it as a daily driver back when the UBports CE phone was taking pre-orders. I thought by now it would be there, but I guess that's just misinformation and exaggeration. As for updating I think I will have to do it via terminal, earlier I tried from the "software" app and it had an error message show up. Right now it's up to date according to the terminal alternative, I updated my phone last week but I tried again today to see if there was a update availible.
Could hopefully be so...

I just downloaded the August 24 Mobian Nightly and installed it on one of my PMOS Convergent phones and both the software store and the updates are working on that release.

Sent from my Manjaro  Convergent phone, running a recent release of Manjaro on an sd card, connecting with mobile data from Pure Talk.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
As far as having a phone that makes phone calls and 2 way texts,  the software store issue does not mean the phone did not work !

If you are using the nightly releases, that was only an issue for a few days.  It worked both before and after that hic-up.

My one phone reserved for "Daily Driving"  is on an install from July...

BUT  even with my original Brave Heart, I could talk and text most of the time,  sure sometimes I had to research the forum, and try various different Distro's
  I was made aware of this possibility before I purchased the Brave Heart.

If you are as "Software Challenged"  as I am,  then you just have to try harder,  or you just  'Give up'
But don't blame someone else, if you give up.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-24-2021, 08:58 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: @bcnaz I checked this morning to see if there was any updates for my phone. I opened up the "Software" app and it showed this error message.
"Unable to get list of updates:
failed to update metadata for lvfs: checksum
failure: failed to verify data, expected"

But since I updated my phone last week, maybe that error message is due to now updates being available, I did run the update command in terminal right after and it shows my phone is currently up to date.

(08-23-2021, 03:12 AM)bcnaz Wrote: update :
  The GUI Software store is still not loading with the available new software.
But I was able to do OS updates using the store,  and using cellular data.  :-)
  This is using August 22 nightly  (Bookworm on sd card)

Sent from my PMOS Conv. phone using PureTalk cell. data

@FOSSagent0
  Are you still having a problem updating ?

This IS BETA  testing software so . . . . .

There is gonna be some maintainance  required

Some people were claiming it as a daily driver back when the UBports CE phone was taking pre-orders. I thought by now it would be there, but I guess that's just misinformation and exaggeration. As for updating I think I will have to do it via terminal, earlier I tried from the "software" app and it had an error message show up. Right now it's up to date according to the terminal alternative, I updated my phone last week but I tried again today to see if there was a update availible.

I honestly think it depends on what you need it for to be a "Daily Driver". For example, my Google Pixel's mother board crashed about 7 weeks ago and I have been using Mobian since without issues but with some annoyances. I can say with confidence I haven't had any issues updating but also I don't ever use the Software Store because I think it is subpar and just running apt update/upgrade is super simple. I also don't have any problems with texting (can even receive MMS) and can make and receive calls just fine. Web browsing is annoying as could be though because both Epiphany and Firefox are soooo slow to start up and get going, I heard others say Epiphany was their default browser so I figured it had been updated massively and tried to launch it and do a single search and it took so long I just stopped. But I switch over to Luakit which has been a fair bit faster. I don't use any form of social media or watch YouTube so I can't speak to any of that but if you want a phone to do phone things (and not have a ton of phone apps) then Mobian should be just fine.
(07-08-2021, 07:35 PM)Old_Mil Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:22 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:40 AM)tophneal Wrote: have you tried to ssh into the phone and run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?

That's what I always do. The Mobian GUI software application has never really worked as far as I know.

Out of curiousity, why ssh into it instead of just firing up terminal and running the sudo apt commands on the phone itself?

Because the pure joy I have experienced unbroken from my Zaurus, to my N900, and now pinephone.
A big computer screen and keyboard beats squinting and fat fingers any day, though before I had SSH installed I did some things on terminal with a USB keyboard.
SSH and using normal linux commands is why I need my portable gadgets to be linux and not some Android or libhybris/surfaceflinger mess.
Speaking of fat fingers anyone getting that keyboard accessory for the PinePhone? It reminded me of the SideKick2 that was popular back in the mid 2000's.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Icecat on Mobian on PinePhone 3460p 15 907 05-15-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Dark theme (on Mobian)? TRS-80 9 2,449 05-03-2022, 04:40 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Mobian wiki and IRC forum sticky? biketool 1 139 04-30-2022, 08:24 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  I'd like to have a Discord client on Mobian lsitongia 4 1,164 04-30-2022, 07:32 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Mobian virtual keyboard suddenly buggy HLing 1 186 04-22-2022, 01:21 PM
Last Post: HLing
  Issues with Mobian? Start here. tophneal 0 208 04-21-2022, 11:27 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Hardware VIdeo Acceleration on Mobian biketool 2 284 04-18-2022, 01:56 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 170 64,963 04-15-2022, 09:01 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Does mobian use a root account and password? rp3 6 3,874 04-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: parry
  Mobian advice-Mint APN Hobbes42 2 305 04-02-2022, 02:34 PM