Mobian not updating via Software app
Pinephone
Mobian OS
Debian Gnu/Linux bullseye/sid
64-bit
Gnome Version 3.38.4
Wayland

I have Mobian installed on my Pinephone and it is not updating or allowing me to update it via software app. When trying to refresh it says it cannot get it. If I can not update it, does it mean I will have to do a clean install of Mobian every time a new version comes out? I have not updated it since around May 5th of 2021.
have you tried to ssh into the phone and run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?
(06-07-2021, 09:40 AM)tophneal Wrote: have you tried to ssh into the phone and run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?

That's what I always do. The Mobian GUI software application has never really worked as far as I know.
(06-07-2021, 06:52 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Pinephone
Mobian OS
Debian Gnu/Linux bullseye/sid
64-bit
Gnome Version 3.38.4
Wayland

I have Mobian installed on my Pinephone and it is not updating or allowing me to update it via software app. When trying to refresh it says it cannot get it. If I can not update it, does it mean I will have to do a clean install of Mobian every time a new version comes out? I have not updated it since around May 5th of 2021.
I think I kind of had that problem but it fixed when I reinstalled mobian. I have updated from the software center several times and it seems to work. all repos are open besides 'linux vendor firmware'. It says ive got Debian 11 and gnome 3.38.5

have you tried to install something like Wireguard? that killed it for me.
(06-07-2021, 09:22 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:40 AM)tophneal Wrote: have you tried to ssh into the phone and run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?

That's what I always do. The Mobian GUI software application has never really worked as far as I know.

Out of curiousity, why ssh into it instead of just firing up terminal and running the sudo apt commands on the phone itself?
(07-08-2021, 07:35 PM)Old_Mil Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:22 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:

Out of curiousity, why ssh into it instead of just firing up terminal and running the sudo apt commands on the phone itself?

Just personal preference. Either works. I just haven’t had a good touch screen experience in terminals.
I've had my phone shelved away for a bit as it was not daily driver material. I had updated using the King's Cross terminal app but I'm unsure what to do with the configuration windows that pop up in the terminal. Has things been changed for the last updates? As for future updates available I'm not sure if I should use the software app or King's Cross.

edit: While I returned to using the Pinephone after it was shelved away for a bit, it was acting erratically as if it was corrupted, it was glitchy turning the screen to a blank black screen. After doing a clean install of a stable release. I've updated it. I did update it today using King's Cross a few minutes ago. I do wonder if the Software app has been fixed since then. So far it seems like I'm still not receiving any text messages.
Have you tried another operating system from an sd card,  just to compare your own results ?

When mine will not update through the GUI updates,  I try again in 24 hours,  99% of  the time it will update after the wait.

BUT  If it still will not update,   then I flash my sd card to the latest release.

I only have my contacts loaded in my phone,  so it is not a big deal for me to just install a new system, 

> I do understand if someone has a lot of stuff saved or downloaded,  they may prefer to FIX the system instead.

My contribution to better software is donating $$ to the team that can actually improve the software.

Meanwhile,  if I must flash a few sd cards to make my phone work out here in the wild world,  so be it.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
My Daily driver is on a nightly build from July, plus updates,  have another PMOS phone has the current tonights release.

Tonight's release seems great, except the onboard software store is not loading,   

***      locked screen notifications is working !       ***
update :
  The GUI Software store is still not loading with the available new software.
But I was able to do OS updates using the store,  and using cellular data.  :-)
  This is using August 22 nightly  (Bookworm on sd card)

Sent from my PMOS Conv. phone using PureTalk cell. data

@FOSSagent0
  Are you still having a problem updating ?

This IS BETA  testing software so . . . . .

There is gonna be some maintainance  required
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian pinephone -- "Stalled" (best way to describe it) fred_mobian 1 32 6 hours ago
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Why do you use mobian? unrealb2 17 766 09-18-2021, 03:44 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 116 33,244 09-17-2021, 02:36 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Mobian September 13 Nightly bcnaz 1 204 09-14-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Updating old Mobian installation? SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 122 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM
  Installing Mobian --> "Resizing file system" forever Anna 13 2,890 09-09-2021, 04:26 AM
Last Post: spaetz
  I'd like to have a Discord client on Mobian lsitongia 2 182 09-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Mobian September 01, 2021 bcnaz 2 331 09-01-2021, 11:45 AM
  Mobian 'HotSpot" bcnaz 2 394 08-29-2021, 07:34 AM
  mobile data on mobian not working synaption 10 868 08-29-2021, 07:22 AM