stable releases vs test releases vs ?
Hi guys- 

go easy on me - I thought I saw a few days ago where you have 3 or 4 options for plasma builds - here's one link: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/62363

but there you have the standard stable version 

and a bleeding edge "nightly release" version

I thought there was one or two in the middle - like a "stable release" - this is what I want - not bleeding edge, but also not released a month ago. 

My real question is, though, can't I just add the (excuse my ignorance) "ppa" source to the "Discover app" for whatever the "not quite bleeding edge" release is, and have that be my default build? or does it still need to be done via SD card / flashing / terminal commands? 

I think I'd like to be a little more involved in testing, but not sure how dangerous I want to be. 

Either way, if there's a fix in "the latest kernel" for x*, how do I become more of a part of testing it? 

*x right now is: 
- I'm still missing calls, and noticing that the phone gets warm while this is happening
- I still can't send texts. 
- I still can't make calls when the phone is hot. 
- yesterday, I couldn't hang up from a call - had to shut the whole phone down, lol. 

In my mind, the most important function of a smart phone is the phone itself. I have to be able to reliably make and receive calls and texts. 

Thanks guys & gals!
The only real difference between Manjaro's "stable" and "unstable" branches (forget about "testing" in this context, I don't think Manjaro-ARM has a testing branch) is that updates are delayed on the stable branch, unstable gets upstream's releases pretty much immediately when they're released. That being said, not even unstable gets "pre-release" versions of software, all the packages are what upstream themselves release as "stable".

(06-02-2021, 11:16 AM)mudflap Wrote: My real question is, though, can't I just add the (excuse my ignorance) "ppa" source to the "Discover app" for whatever the "not quite bleeding edge" release is, and have that be my default build? or does it still need to be done via SD card / flashing / terminal commands? 

You can switch branches without flashing a nightly image, but it does involve using the terminal on the PinePhone, see Manjaro wiki on switching branches.
Code:
sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable
to switch to the unstable branch and
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyuu
to install updates from the unstable branch; -yy is to force refreshing of the database, -uu to allow downgrades in case pacman incorretly interprets the version of a newer package as being an older one which does occasionally happen.

(06-02-2021, 11:16 AM)mudflap Wrote: I think I'd like to be a little more involved in testing, but not sure how dangerous I want to be. 

It's not much more dangerous than stable: I've experienced mess-ups from the Manjaro devs or general (upstream) regressions make their way to stable too, but the fixes come quicker in unstable.
(06-03-2021, 04:04 AM)marcih Wrote: The only real difference between Manjaro's "stable" and "unstable" branches (forget about "testing" in this context, I don't think Manjaro-ARM has a testing branch) is that updates are delayed on the stable branch, unstable gets upstream's releases pretty much immediately when they're released. That being said, not even unstable gets "pre-release" versions of software, all the packages are what upstream themselves release as "stable".

(06-02-2021, 11:16 AM)mudflap Wrote: My real question is, though, can't I just add the (excuse my ignorance) "ppa" source to the "Discover app" for whatever the "not quite bleeding edge" release is, and have that be my default build? or does it still need to be done via SD card / flashing / terminal commands? 

You can switch branches without flashing a nightly image, but it does involve using the terminal on the PinePhone, see Manjaro wiki on switching branches.
Code:
sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable
to switch to the unstable branch and
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyuu
to install updates from the unstable branch; -yy is to force refreshing of the database, -uu to allow downgrades in case pacman incorretly interprets the version of a newer package as being an older one which does occasionally happen.

(06-02-2021, 11:16 AM)mudflap Wrote: I think I'd like to be a little more involved in testing, but not sure how dangerous I want to be. 

It's not much more dangerous than stable: I've experienced mess-ups from the Manjaro devs or general (upstream) regressions make their way to stable too, but the fixes come quicker in unstable.

This is exactly the response I was looking for! thank you so much.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  switch stable or dev release? Uturn 3 1,896 07-17-2022, 01:38 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  Where to find releases information worden 1 1,588 10-18-2021, 12:20 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Plasma Mobile "stable" currently broken acrux 14 11,004 06-15-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: acrux