failed to read Who-am-I register
Hello everybody,
I just received my new Pinephone Beta Edition With Convergence Package.
I tried to launch him but after few seconds of loading (with KDE logo, don't know if normal), the Welcome screen freeze and then a strange screen appears : After a series of numbers and letters that i don't understand and a nice "fffffffffff" (the same in my head), all I "understand" is "failed to read Who-Am-I register" (I can share a bad quality photo in a next post if you want).
Sometimes it goes untill wifi connection screen and the keyboard pop up (woaw) but after few seconds this screen appears again or a simple freeze or a black screen, it depends.
Also when I put the charger, it automatically turns on the phone, red then orange led few seconds and after nothing the led turns off (no charge I think) and the telephone crashes as usual.
I tried to do it with and without sim, with and without battery, with or without the charger . I wanted to share it with you before trying something else.
I did'nt found another topic on that subject (my mistake if there is).
I knew that I'll have to learn and be patient with buying this phone but not this soon ^^'
Thank you for your help.
hd
(06-02-2021, 08:47 AM)hdbreak Wrote: Hello everybody,
I tried to launch him but after few seconds of loading (with KDE logo, don't know if normal), the Welcome screen freeze and then a strange screen appears : After a series of numbers and letters that i don't understand and a nice "fffffffffff" (the same in my head), all I "understand" is "failed to read Who-Am-I register" (I can share a bad quality photo in a next post if you want).
Sometimes it goes untill wifi connection screen and the keyboard pop up (woaw) but after few seconds this screen appears again or a simple freeze or a black screen, it depends.
Also when I put the charger, it automatically turns on the phone, red then orange led few seconds and after nothing the led turns off (no charge I think) and the telephone crashes as usual.
I tried to do it with and without sim, with and without battery, with or without the charger . I wanted to share it with you before trying something else.
I knew that I'll have to learn and be patient with buying this phone but not this soon ^^'
Thank you for your help.
hd
I never tried out Plasma, so I cannot help you with that specific problem, but a very nice thing about the PinePhone is that you can easily try out different operating systems without much effort. So I suggest you flash the newest version of Manjaro Plasma (don't know how outdated the preinstalled version is, progress is fast) or some Phosh distribution (e. g. Mobian, that seems to be one of the most stable ones) to an SD card and see if that works better. This way you have an up to date system from the beginning and you can see what you like best (or what works best). More on how to flash an OS to an SD card or also the internal memory can be found in the wiki.
(06-02-2021, 10:32 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 08:47 AM)hdbreak Wrote: Hello everybody,
Thank you for your help.
hd
I never tried out Plasma, so I cannot help you with that specific problem, but a very nice thing about the PinePhone is that you can easily try out different operating systems without much effort. So I suggest you flash the newest version of Manjaro Plasma (don't know how outdated the preinstalled version is, progress is fast) or some Phosh distribution (e. g. Mobian, that seems to be one of the most stable ones) to an SD card and see if that works better. This way you have an up to date system from the beginning and you can see what you like best (or what works best). More on how to flash an OS to an SD card or also the internal memory can be found in the wiki.

Thank you kqlnut,
I'll try it asap. The only thing that is the PinePhone convergence package is supposed to bundle multiple OS and it's a little sad to skip this specificity and choose without comparison one specific OS. And I'm not sure it's correspond to the "Multi-boot demo image" that you share me in the link. But yeah I understand "aux grands maux les grands remèdes".
BR

PS : Let the tread open in case somehow someone have the answer to this specific problem or know where I can get the Convergence Package launcher (don't know if the terms are goods ^^).
(06-03-2021, 05:38 AM)hdbreak Wrote: Thank you kqlnut,
I'll try it asap. The only thing that is the PinePhone convergence package is supposed to bundle multiple OS and it's a little sad to skip this specificity and choose without comparison one specific OS. And I'm not sure it's correspond to the "Multi-boot demo image" that you share me in the link. But yeah I understand "aux grands maux les grands remèdes".
BR

PS : Let the tread open in case somehow someone have the answer to this specific problem or know where I can get the Convergence Package launcher (don't know if the terms are goods ^^).
I think there might be some misunderstanding. The first step I would try is flashing the most up to date version of Manjaro Plasma, so just an updated version of the OS you already have on your phone (in case recent updates fixed the problems you are having). Then try out different ones if you want (either to get rid of problems you might still experience or to just try out what else is out there).

"Convergence" has nothing to with different OSs, it refers to the bundled dock which enables you to connect your phone to an external display and peripherals to use the phone in convergence mode.

The link I sent was just instructions on how to flash an OS image to an SD card or the internal memory. The multiboot image is an image that bundles a lot of different OSs together to try them out easily without having to flash a single image for each one of them (is that what you mean by "convergence package launcher"?). So if you want to compare different OSs, do get the multiboot image! You can find it in this thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card _radv_ 19 5,681 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: _radv_
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,301 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Won't boot - Failed to read Who-Am-I register nocargo 6 5,290 04-30-2022, 06:11 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  "KB151 was not detected on bus" after failed package install matthew_exon 3 2,197 03-11-2022, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Danct12
  I just got to find phone in my sd card won't read Tyro 5 5,840 11-15-2021, 01:11 AM
Last Post: alexenwaston
  My PinePhone does not read SD card asasani 4 4,040 11-09-2021, 03:24 AM
Last Post: asasani
  Modem won't register? nelstomlinson 1 2,265 08-30-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: 3Gluddite
Sad PinePhone SDCard boot failed zuck4nf4ll 1 1,558 08-26-2021, 11:07 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Upgraded Modem Failing To Register On UBPorts Edition DingDangDoong 9 4,261 08-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
Exclamation KDE Plasma - cannot answer calls or read received SMS Tenticle 1 2,487 07-12-2021, 03:21 AM
Last Post: TfromTexas