Anyone have bluetooth headset working (for phone)?
@awaittrot why use ffmpeg for the loopback rather than pulseaudio's module-loopback?
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar...e-loopback
(06-22-2021, 10:40 AM)wibble Wrote: @awaittrot why use ffmpeg for the loopback rather than pulseaudio's module-loopback?
Because I know how to use ffmpeg and didn't remember the pulseaudio's options. I was lazy.
If pulseaudio has good manpages, I could have used that.

Anyway, thanks for suggestions and I will try module-loopback later.
(06-22-2021, 10:57 PM)awaittrot Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 10:40 AM)wibble Wrote: @awaittrot why use ffmpeg for the loopback rather than pulseaudio's module-loopback?
Because I know how to use ffmpeg and didn't remember the pulseaudio's options. I was lazy.
If pulseaudio has good manpages, I could have used that.

Anyway, thanks for suggestions and I will try module-loopback later.
That's a fine reason Smile I've mostly avoided pulseaudio until recently so wondered if there might be problems with its loopback. You probably want to specify a shorter latency than the default 200ms too. I ought to look into how the audio profile thing works...or perhaps skip direct to pipewire since that's where things are heading.
Just a small update to my previous post. I can confirm that module-loopback works fine and latency is much lower than ffmpeg.

Code:
# mix modem audio
amixer -c 0 cset "name=AIF2 Digital ADC Capture Switch" on
amixer -c 0 cset "name=AIF2 ADC Mixer AIF1 DA0 Capture Switch" on
# mute internal mic and speaker
amixer -c 0 cset "name=Mic1 Capture Switch" off
amixer -c 0 cset "name=Line Out Playback Switch" off

mod1=$(pactl load-module module-loopback source=$source_pine sink=$sink_usb latency_msec=20)
mod2=$(pactl load-module module-loopback source=$source_usb sink=$sink_pine latency_msec=20)

echo Press enter to stop
read l

pactl unload-module $mod1
pactl unload-module $mod2

amixer -c 0 cset "name=AIF2 Digital ADC Capture Switch" off
amixer -c 0 cset "name=AIF2 ADC Mixer AIF1 DA0 Capture Switch" off
(06-21-2021, 12:27 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: Another possibility occurred to me as a workaround in the meantime:  try and plug in old school wired headset into headphone jack.  There is a $10 cheaper model of the Road King Bluetooth model mentioned in OP that is so cheap I might as well give it a try.

Whenever I grow tired of dealing with the Bluetooth buzzing, I plug-in to the headphone jack and it always works for me. In fact, my Bluetooth headphones support the copper wire connection too! Smile
Just wanted to confirm that the plain old wired headset model I purchased (Road King model RKING910) does indeed work!

The sound out of the ear piece is a little "tinny" but it is loud enough (some other headsets I used were not). Also this is a very cheap headset, available in any truck stop in USA. People I talk to say I sound great though, and they can hear little or no background noise from my end.

Very happy to be able to finally be using a real GNU/Linux phone while driving[0]! And I will continue to tinker with bluetooth stuff when I have time, as ultimately wireless would be ideal. Thanks to everyone for clues to investigate in that area going forward.

[0] For anyone who may be unaware, holding a phone in your hand is now illegal in almost every state in USA.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(07-06-2021, 09:45 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: [0] For anyone who may be unaware, holding a phone in your hand is now illegal in almost every state in USA.

Yup--I think you can still hold a map or have a conversation with a passenger in the car (found to be highly distracting and the reason the FAA, many years ago, adopted the "sterile cockpit rule" prohibiting unnecessary conversations below 10,000' for airline pilots many years ago).

I think you can still touch or hold a paper map or driving directions with your hand though (and maybe a dim flashlight to read them in the other hand at night Wink )...just no electronic versions of them which, operationally, can be far less distracting than paper, if used intelligently.

I also think that wearing ear/head phones would probably result in a moving violation in many jurisdictions so, it's like I tell all my flying students, "fly safely and don't get caught doing it!" Wink
(07-06-2021, 10:52 AM)calinb Wrote: I also think that wearing ear/head phones would probably result in a moving violation in many jurisdictions so, it's like I tell all my flying students, "fly safely and don't get caught doing it!" Wink

How can you tell someone is a pilot, don't worry they'll eventually slip it into the conversation.
How do I know?
So I had food poisoning and I was doing my final approach runway 13 when.... Cool (I need the puking emoji)

FWIW I know some hams(amateur radio) who wear low impedance(heli/mil) Clarks(big ear cup aviation headset) or similar while driving thought that proves nothing, and they were approved while driving for intercom and hearing protection on fire engines almost everywhere in the 90s.
Once the wife was driving and she was yakking so intensely with another passenger that she sailed right through a red light. (Fortunately there was no cross traffic!) There are many distractions in a car. On modern cars with touch-screen controls it can be almost impossible to do anything without taking your eyes off the road. (Mine is old with dedicated switches and buttons and I know where everything is without having to look.)

I just keep my phone turned off in the car. Other than a medical emergency there is nothing that can't wait. So that's one less distraction.
(07-06-2021, 12:01 PM)biketool Wrote: How can you tell someone is a pilot, don't worry they'll eventually slip it into the conversation.
How do I know?
So I had food poisoning and I was doing my final approach runway 13 when.... Cool (I need the puking emoji)

That's really funny (and true) biketool! I'll pass it on to my pilot friends. Big Grin
The main reason I disclosed (dropped) one of my previous fields of employment (I'm old and retired now--except for flight instructing for fun) is I wanted to use my "Fly safely and don't get caught doing it" line and advice, which is applicable to many highly government-regulated activities in life!

(07-06-2021, 12:04 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Once the wife was driving and she was yakking so intensely with another passenger that she sailed right through a red light. (Fortunately there was no cross traffic!)

I've seen that happen too, Zebulon, but my relating it would probably lapse into another pilot story. Sick

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 7,798 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,206 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Getting all keys working on pine phone keyboard-case undata 5 2,422 10-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad Zebulon Walton 10 8,870 10-04-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Keyboard : replaced the logic board charging now working again grump_fiddle_reinstall 1 842 07-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  Pine phone keyboard ? bcnaz 66 44,154 12-27-2022, 05:13 AM
Last Post: hlaube
  PinePhone Keyboard on other phone/over USB Dakkaron 1 1,962 10-20-2022, 03:47 AM
Last Post: svenh
  Pine Phone cases and accessories bcnaz 22 30,214 08-14-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: cool
  Wired headset mic stopped working Zebulon Walton 4 4,139 06-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: photon
  Keyboard case not charging (or not working) and a possible FIX for both pifou 12 8,760 05-03-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: wibble