micro SD cards -- actual size vs. claims
Resizing a partition is NOT easy from within Android or RemixOS. I'm not sure it's even possible. (I'm dying to know, if anyone knows how.)

Someone could declutter the Wiki page by simply offering the 8GB version, and putting 16GB+ versions on other pages, via a link.
It'd sure be nice to offer more torrents, too.
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest
(06-22-2016, 12:36 AM)NexusDude Wrote: Resizing a partition is NOT easy from within Android or RemixOS. I'm not sure it's even possible. (I'm dying to know, if anyone knows how.)

Someone could declutter the Wiki page by simply offering the 8GB version, and putting 16GB+ versions on other pages, via a link.
It'd sure be nice to offer more torrents, too.

I don't claim to know exactly how to craft the script to do such a thing, but why not not package the smallest image size possible for the linux-based scripts, and have them run the resize script on the first boot of that image? I have seen it done elsewhere... not sure if it was for an official raspberry pi distro or a 3rd party one like adafruit offers. Or even some consideration of make in setup menu like the one they offer there, so all the beginner users have a one-stop shop for all the fiddly bits. Just an idea to think about later down the path...
flashing a 32gb android lcd dd to a 64gb (62gb actual) sd. would love to know how to utilize the card's full capacity. im on OSX 10.8.5.

BTW, if i understand this thread correctly, once i use this card, in the storage settings within android, it will only show around 32gb for capacity?

Matt
+1 me if I have helped you in any way. Thank you.
(06-23-2016, 09:31 PM)Bluphire Wrote: flashing a 32gb android lcd dd to a 64gb (62gb actual) sd. would love to know how to utilize the card's full capacity. im on OSX 10.8.5.

BTW, if i understand this thread correctly, once i use this card, in the storage settings within android, it will only show around 32gb for capacity?

Matt

That depends on the size of the partition you're currently using on the card. If its a 64Gb card but has only one 32Gb partition then the size of the card is going to be 32Gb. 

Most linux cards are going to have two partitions at a minimum... one for /boot and one for /  (the root partition).

When the resize_rootfs.sh script is run the / root partition is expanded to use the entire free space of the card. Apparently the script does not exist for droid ?
(06-24-2016, 03:20 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: When the resize_rootfs.sh script is run the / root partition is expanded to use the entire free space of the card. Apparently the script does not exist for droid ?

/boot is probably first on the Linux images, so it's easier to extend the last partition online. But on android, it's probably sandwiched, so has to be done offline, and there's only crappy Phoenix Windows tool to do it.
(06-24-2016, 04:29 AM)benpope81 Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 03:20 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: When the resize_rootfs.sh script is run the / root partition is expanded to use the entire free space of the card. Apparently the script does not exist for droid ?

/boot is probably first on the Linux images, so it's easier to extend the last partition online. But on android, it's probably sandwiched, so has to be done offline, and there's only crappy Phoenix Windows tool to do it.

Indeed that is the main problem:

[Image: partition-size-in-android-device1.jpg]

You probably want to at least increase the size of the /data and /cache partitions but they are stuck in the middle and inside an extended partiton as well, so you have to resize the extended, move /misc to the end, resize /cache, move it to the end, resize /data to fill up the space... I don't think that will work online so you have to do it with gparted or sth from another machine... I don't know if one could swap around the order so that /data sits at the end on a custom image, I am no Android developer...., maybe the order is hardcoded somewhere...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-24-2016, 04:29 AM)benpope81 Wrote:

So there IS a way to resize the Android partitions...

Would that work for a phone / tablet, or only an SD card? (If I could just enlarge my system partition...)
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest
Verbatim UHC-1 class 10 16GB = 14.4GB
SanDisk Ultra microSDXC Class 10 64GB = 58.29GB
Woolworths "Hub" SDHC class 10 16GB = 14.9GB
First 2 are crap last is great.
i have used gparted, which is probably available on all linux image, to resize an sd card from within a running build. i would think it handles unmounting the partition prior to adding the unallocated space on the card to the filesystem partition. on another issue, using the application Disks, it is possible to unmount the boot partition and run the benchmark routine which may be a reliable way of measuring read/write of different cards. i was kinda surprised that a samsung evo card was benched @ 24MB/s read and 23MB/s write. i expected higher numbers.the package claims 48MBs on UHS-1 which means a UHS-1 card in a UHS-1 device , so really meaningless rating for pine64 use.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Backer Kits offered imaged Sd cards? jayare69@pacbell.net 1 2,644 07-02-2016, 04:19 AM
Last Post: bonterra
  Swap out cards with multiple OSs? BeerSnob 1 3,060 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Last Post: jl_678
Question Shirt size chart carlosviansi 2 3,699 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Last Post: carlosviansi