Will the Pinephone work with Vodafone in Romania?
I’m planning to order a Pinephone Beta soon (150$ version). In my case I live in Romania and my cellphone provider is Vodafone. I can't quite remember or tell if it's a sim card or microsim, hopefully I'll fine either way? I wanted to be sure others with this provider can confirm everything works fine... by everything meaning at least calls, SMS, and 3G / 4G internet (I don't use MMS). So to EU users of the Pinephone, what's your experience with Vodafone SIM cards?
(05-26-2021, 07:23 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: I can't quite remember or tell if it's a sim card or microsim, hopefully I'll fine either way?

The PinePhone takes the micro-SIM form factor, but the package includes (or at least used to) a nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapter (literally just a piece of plastic that you put your nano-SIM into) but I recall some posts on the forums saying it's a bit crap. A standard-sized SIM card won't fit into the PinePhone  but you may be able to cut away some of the excess plastic to make it into a micro-SIM, some phone stores even offer to do that for you, but I wouldn't recommend that either as you risk damaging the electronics inside the SIM card.

(05-26-2021, 07:23 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: So to EU users of the Pinephone, what's your experience with Vodafone SIM cards?

I've had no issues on the Vodafone network in Czechia or Netherlands, nor on the KPN network in the Netherlands (via Simyo MVNO); keep in mind I only tested calls and SMS, I don't use mobile data.
Sounds like I should have no big problem then, thanks! If I'm not mistaken Vodafone did issue me a nano-sim in a frame used to place it inside a micro-sim slot... I should thus be good as far as that goes. If I encounter any issues I'll go to one of their stores with the device and ask about it there... albeit no one there ever heard of us, I know since I asked them about Pinephone and Librem / Purism when I paid the bill once and they were like "we have no idea what that is" Tongue

Mobile data is essential for me: I use it whenever I'm out of range from a Wifi connection. Thankfully I've already used Vodafone's mobile data on an USB stick they gave me years ago: It was detected as a modem and worked properly under Linux, both my laptop as well as my desktop! They since replaced it with a tiny router that creates a Wifi network out of the sim card thus I no longer need to plug it in. So if the Pinephone's own modem doesn't complain I'm hopefully all good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,187 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,526 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,944 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,481 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,610 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,672 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma