How do you install VPN so you can set up a config file, tor, signal and disk encrypt?
How do someone set up a VPN, tor and signal on a pinephone? And while i'm asking. How do you fully encrypt a pinephone? Good features to have on a phone focused on privacy. One option while getting a new pinephone should be the option to encrypt it at boot in my opinion.
(05-26-2021, 08:04 AM)temp0rary Wrote: How do someone set up a VPN, tor and signal on a pinephone? And while i'm asking. How do you fully encrypt a pinephone? Good features to have on a phone focused on privacy. One option while getting a new pinephone should be the option to encrypt it at boot in my opinion.

Full disk encryption (FDE) is only supported in certain distros with a specific installer. PostmarketOS has a FDE option in the pmbootstrap installer, Arch from Danct has a script you can use to install with FDE (https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/ar...-installer), and Mobian as well has a FDE installer IIRC.

Setting up a VPN depends on your provider. You may have to manually configure (wiregaurd or openvpn) to get it working, which you can find resources online for.
Tor and Signal have been shown working by other people, but it's not guaranteed to always work, and IIRC the signal app had a few issues. They ran signal using Anbox, which you can install easily in Manjaro Arm and Alarm (Arch Linux Arm) for the Pinephone. Don't expect too much out of it though.
I am running Tor on my PinePhone, setup works just like it would work on desktop Linux. Regarding VPNs, if they use standard protocols like Wireguard or OpenVPN, you won't even need an app.
Signal is a bit difficult, I am using Axolotl, and it's ok for texting. For more read the Mobian Wiki.

I suggest you to check out the video channels of RTP, he made many videos about these topics and the PinePhone: Odysee (https://odysee.com/@RTP:9), YouTube.
Thank both of you for your answers!

(05-26-2021, 01:30 PM)Aberts10 Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 08:04 AM)temp0rary Wrote: How do someone set up a VPN, tor and signal on a pinephone? And while i'm asking. How do you fully encrypt a pinephone? Good features to have on a phone focused on privacy. One option while getting a new pinephone should be the option to encrypt it at boot in my opinion.

Full disk encryption (FDE) is only supported in certain distros with a specific installer. PostmarketOS has a FDE option in the pmbootstrap installer, Arch from Danct has a script you can use to install with FDE (https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/ar...-installer), and Mobian as well has a FDE installer IIRC.

Setting up a VPN depends on your provider. You may have to manually configure (wiregaurd or openvpn) to get it working, which you can find resources online for.
Tor and Signal have been shown working by other people, but it's not guaranteed to always work, and IIRC the signal app had a few issues. They ran signal using Anbox, which you can install easily in Manjaro Arm and Alarm (Arch Linux Arm) for the Pinephone. Don't expect too much out of it though.

Why just some distros.. Even android has that option to encrypt. Do you just install openvpn in the terminal? Anbox sounds good.

(05-26-2021, 04:07 PM)linmob Wrote: I am running Tor on my PinePhone, setup works just like it would work on desktop Linux. Regarding VPNs, if they use standard protocols like Wireguard or OpenVPN, you won't even need an app.
Signal is a bit difficult, I am using Axolotl, and it's ok for texting. For more read the Mobian Wiki.

I suggest you to check out the video channels of RTP, he made many videos about these topics and the PinePhone: Odysee (https://odysee.com/@RTP:9), YouTube.
 Great answer. Thanks!
Please give me a link to a guide that shows how to set up a vpn in plasma manjaro.. Some gui hangs in start. I might need to use the terminal for everything. How did you do it? Please link or write how i can connect to a VPN with a config file i have. I will switch to debian when calls work there. I'm a beginner. thanks
I tried mobian instead and it was easy to set up stuff on it! =) Thanks to guides, but still. I prefer mobian (debian) anytime over manjaro.

Thanks again for the answers! Mobian (debian) is waaay better then manjaro in my opinion.. Way better! FDE, and easier to set up things overall.. Now my pinephone is even cooler, and if it get's stolen, it's encrypted and that can be good to have also.. VPN and such is also good to have when ISP collects data and so on..
This is the best phone i have had so far..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 957 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Axolotl signal client package lolgzs 27 19,007 11-02-2022, 04:55 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  No keyboard in Signal Desktop Kimberley van Buyten 4 2,268 10-16-2022, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  How to install iptables extensions? I get "Extension owner revision 0 not supported" anon4 0 2,046 08-27-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: anon4
  Can't install software via Discover or Terminal Kimberley van Buyten 2 1,492 06-10-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  Chatty -- no response after install tckosvic 0 1,057 12-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  After fresh install outbound phone calls not working. tckosvic 2 2,262 11-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Crash when Updating Manjaro-Plasma. Hanging on "checking available disk space" UN_Owen 0 1,079 06-27-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: UN_Owen
  Can i install 16 different distros apart from the default manjaro? temp0rary 4 3,803 05-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: temp0rary
  file transfer Rainer 3 2,954 05-10-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Rainer