debug help installer
I got a new pinebook pro a couple of weeks ago.  It booted into Manjaro KDE.  I'm a regular i3 user and saw there was an i3 image package so I just tried installing it with pacman.  When I restarted and tried i3, it seemed like some extras like dmenu and i3-status weren't installed.  Then, I saw there's an i3 manajaro image for pbp and decide to just install that.  So I installed the flasher tool and just tried to direct flash onto the sdcard with the manjaro installer tool.  Well, this seemed to bork things.

No problem, I downloaded the i3 image with another laptop and `dd`ed it onto an sdcard.  Thankfully, the PBP booted the external sdcard no problem and dropped me into the installer menu.  I did the setup and it rebooted.  I saw the manjaro splash screen for a while.  Then it just looked strange and got stuck.  The manjaro splash screen just stretched out into three lines.  I tried finding virtual terminals with some text with the ctrl + f keys and found no text.

So then I thought that maybe the i3 image i was using was problematic.  So I went through the process again the manjaro pbp xfce image.  Same thing: booted fine to the installer.  The installer completed successfully.  On reboot, the splash screen, then the stretchy splash screen and no progress after that.

I guess I have two questions:

1) How can I turn off the splash screen on the kernel options on the image that gets installed by the installer? I want a textual boot so I can see where things are getting stuck. 
2) If you know what's going on based on my symptom, just tell me.  I'm happy to hear that someone else knows what's up and what I should do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Hello Friend,
I recently joined your forum post ,I found its very informative and knowledgeable . I am very impressed. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep posting more forum post.

also see: myhr kp
(05-26-2021, 12:04 AM)Jxx Wrote: I got a new pinebook pro a couple of weeks ago.  It booted into Manjaro KDE.  I'm a regular i3 user and saw there was an i3 image package so I just tried installing it with pacman.  When I restarted and tried i3, it seemed like some extras like dmenu and i3-status weren't installed.  Then, I saw there's an i3 manajaro image for pbp and decide to just install that.  So I installed the flasher tool and just tried to direct flash onto the sdcard with the manjaro installer tool.  Well, this seemed to bork things.

No problem, I downloaded the i3 image with another laptop and `dd`ed it onto an sdcard.  Thankfully, the PBP booted the external sdcard no problem and dropped me into the installer menu.  I did the setup and it rebooted.  I saw the manjaro splash screen for a while.  Then it just looked strange and got stuck.  The manjaro splash screen just stretched out into three lines.  I tried finding virtual terminals with some text with the ctrl + f keys and found no text.

So then I thought that maybe the i3 image i was using was problematic.  So I went through the process again the manjaro pbp xfce image.  Same thing: booted fine to the installer.  The installer completed successfully.  On reboot, the splash screen, then the stretchy splash screen and no progress after that.

I guess I have two questions:

1) How can I turn off the splash screen on the kernel options on the image that gets installed by the installer? I want a textual boot so I can see where things are getting stuck. 
2) If you know what's going on based on my symptom, just tell me.  I'm happy to hear that someone else knows what's up and what I should do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: Debug Rust on PineCone BL602 with VSCode and GDB lupyuen 4 3,838 12-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: lupyuen