Vertical Grey Bars on PBP Reboot
Hello all.  I'm still having problems when I reboot my PBP.  When I do, I get a screen with grey vertical bars and it just stays in that state until I shut it off with the power button.  I posted back in October of 2020 when I first started having this problem, but the only solution available at the time was to just do a shutdown and power back on the machine to restart it, and a kernel update or fix would come it the future.  Is there a fix for this issue, and if so how do you fix it.  I have a PBP ANSI running up to date Manjaro.  Any help/info is appreciated.  Thanks.

/Mike
(05-18-2021, 09:41 AM)MickTheGeek Wrote: Hello all.  I'm still having problems when I reboot my PBP.  When I do, I get a screen with grey vertical bars and it just stays in that state until I shut it off with the power button.  I posted back in October of 2020 when I first started having this problem, but the only solution available at the time was to just do a shutdown and power back on the machine to restart it, and a kernel update or fix would come it the future.  Is there a fix for this issue, and if so how do you fix it.  I have a PBP ANSI running up to date Manjaro.  Any help/info is appreciated.  Thanks.

/Mike

Same here. Also on manjaro. Quite annoying
It might be a long shot, but perhaps you can try to update U-Boot?
This is not without risk, when you do it wrong.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid94629
Those gray vertical bars are the result of the bootsplash patches that Manjaro ARM applies to the Linux kernel source.  When it comes to the PineBook Pro's framebuffer, something isn't exactly right with those patches.  If you disable the bootsplash feature on your PineBook Pro, by removing the bootsplash parameter from the kernel command line in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf, the issue with the gray bars goes away.
I used to have this issue, and for me it was not the bootsplash patches. It was uboot that needed a patch. Manjaros current uboot-pinebookpro package contains that patch, so updating like jiyong recommended should be the way to go.
Note that Manjaro doesn't update uboot on its own, you always have to do it manually.
That's interesting, I haven't enabled back the bootsplash since I got it disabled.  I prefer to see the boot messages.  Of course, I've kept the U-Boot updated on the boot device whenever Manjaro ARM released a new version of the U-Boot package.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 272 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Keyboard settings not saved on reboot motezart 6 7,247 11-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: creaverse
  Vertical Grey Bars on PBP Reboot MickTheGeek 2 3,306 10-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Last Post: MickTheGeek
  Connection to specific AP fails after first reboot. DroneOn 2 3,259 07-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Last Post: DroneOn
  vertical bars reboot only mamboman777 2 3,650 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: mamboman777
  reboot / crash Der Geist der Maschine 40 39,349 02-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Baldnerd
  Pinebook pro random reboot default Debian tso4ev 3 4,653 02-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Baldnerd
  Blank Screen after reboot Sats 12 12,363 01-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Sats