Battery mot charging past 54%
(07-16-2021, 01:33 PM)Xzska-collab Wrote: Thank you for the info...how do I find out if the Mbian or KDE Pinephones use the Ondrej's patched kernel?

It's always the best to check how the kernel package is built on the distribution you're runing, by looking at the package source, but you can also use the command described in one of the earlier posts, for example, to configure higher target voltage for the battery:

Code:
echo 4350000 > /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-battery/voltage_max_design

After that, check whether the setting has actually been applied:

Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-battery/voltage_max_design

If you get back 4350000, then you're most probably running Ondrej's patched kernel.

(07-26-2021, 03:47 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I have a 'Post Market Edition' Pine phone,  running a 'recent Mobian nightly release'.
It charges to 100%,    then it discharges to 93 - 95%...  then charges again to 100% ... repeat...
I think the developers are still fine tuning the charging software.

Once the target voltage for the battery is set and the charger is left plugged in, the charging is performed autonomously by the AXP803 PMIC.  The battery charging is currently left unattended from the software standoint, and the only thing that could happen is the AXP803 shutting down on its own due to overheating.
(07-28-2021, 06:08 AM)dsimic Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 01:33 PM)Xzska-collab Wrote: Thank you for the info...how do I find out if the Mbian or KDE Pinephones use the Ondrej's patched kernel?

It's always the best to check how the kernel package is built on the distribution you're runing, by looking at the package source, but you can also use the command described in one of the earlier posts, for example, to configure higher target voltage for the battery:

Code:
echo 4350000 > /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-battery/voltage_max_design

After that, check whether the setting has actually been applied:

Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-battery/voltage_max_design

If you get back 4350000, then you're most probably running Ondrej's patched kernel.

(07-26-2021, 03:47 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I have a 'Post Market Edition' Pine phone,  running a 'recent Mobian nightly release'.
It charges to 100%,    then it discharges to 93 - 95%...  then charges again to 100% ... repeat...

Once the target voltage for the battery is set and the charger is left plugged in, the charging is performed autonomously by the AXP803 PMIC.  The battery charging is currently left unattended from the software standoint, and the only thing that could happen is the AXP803 shutting down on its own due to overheating.

My phone only gets a little warm when charging, But it gets even warmer from a long phone call.
I doubt seriously the battery is overheating.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Just curious,  have you tried different chargers ?
  I do see slight differences when I use different chargers.

Note :  I have several Pine phones, one has Arch installed and it charges about the same as the ones with Mobian installed.

Modem and wifi is powered directly from the battery, so once the charger stops, the battery will start draining immediately even if the phone is connected to the power adapter and powered from it. Only part of the phone can be powered from the adapter. That's how it's designed.

And the charger can't be charging all the time. So you get this slow cycling of charger after getting to 100%, even when connected to power adapter.

The only time this will not happen is when you charge while the phone is powered off.
my website: https://xnux.eu
(09-18-2021, 09:16 PM)megous Wrote: Modem and wifi is powered directly from the battery, so once the charger stops, the battery will start draining immediately even if the phone is connected to the power adapter and powered from it. Only part of the phone can be powered from the adapter. That's how it's designed.

So what do you think about using the PinePhone with the USB-C dock bar (from PINE64) for a longer time (1-2-3h ...) ?
It seems that the phone will get warm to hot because of the charging (circuit, battery) if WIFI or modem is on.

I was hoping the charging could be controlled in a similar manner like for (Thinkpad) laptops: dont charge unless below a certain battery level. So that the device remains cool while connected to a docking bar. Maybe having a software switch for charge on/off when plugged in.

But as i understood, this is not possible with the PinePhone, by design. Therefore the reasonable usage of the USB-C convergence kit is limited to short periods of time.
continuing a bit off topic ...

Using the phone with the USB-C and charger for longer time i could observe that the phone does not get too hot - i would say normal hot (phone display is always on - maybe there is a way to turn off when using HDMI).

Another thing which i observed is that despite USB dock being connected to a charger, the Pinephone battery level drops. It drops at a slow rate, but it means that eventually one would need to put it alone on charger.

Anyone else had a similar experience with the USB-C dock?
Using a good charger, my phone actually shows a higher charge rate when connected to the dock,
than when the charger is connected directly to my phone.

I am using the original power cable.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
It charges to 100%, then it discharges to 93 - 95%... then charges again to 100% ... repeat... sounds bad for the battery left on the charger long term. Can a maximum charge limit be set?
(01-14-2022, 04:49 AM)vusra Wrote: It charges to 100%, then it discharges to 93 - 95%... then charges again to 100% ... repeat... sounds bad for the battery left on the charger long term. Can a maximum charge limit be set?

See megous' comment a couple of posts before for an explanation. And yes, a maximum limit can be set and is set already on many distros (what is displayed in the battery indicator as 100% may not be the real 100% capacity the battery has). Check out the PostmarketOS tweaks app for a GUI to change that (not only available on PostmarketOS).
Thank you. Are there PostmarketOS tweaks binaries available for Arch and Debian?
(01-14-2022, 04:01 PM)vusra Wrote: Thank you. Are there PostmarketOS tweaks binaries available for Arch and Debian?

For Arch yes, for Debian I don't think so.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 366 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Battery life improvement freelectro 10 2,946 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,413 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  Charging Indicator On - Not Charging SJSEng 0 736 08-30-2022, 07:33 AM
Last Post: SJSEng
  Power supply vs battery albafrati 11 4,329 06-22-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: albafrati
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,295 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  What PD charger/dock combo results in PP battery not draining while using convergence james8880 0 1,392 04-28-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: james8880
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,869 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  Battery replacement alternative sax1960 7 6,115 08-29-2021, 07:03 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Battery Capacity and Software Interaction food 2 2,350 08-15-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: bcnaz