How to switch off a app icon from list
Hello,

I installed some apps and during this way, other apps will also visible as icon in the list.
But I don't want it. (For example "Midnight Commander", "LRF viewer", "ImageMagick" etc)

How can I switch off this icon, so that are not visible in my start bar?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I can't say whether it's the "proper" way of doing it, but what I have been doing is navigating to /usr/share/applications finding the name of the app and renaming the .desktop file to .desktop.bak (or any name not ending in .desktop), this will make the icon disappear. If you want the icon to re-appear simply return the name to what it was.

Code:
cd /usr/share/applications
sudo mv thunar-settings.desktop{,.bak}
A better way, which should be persistent across application updates, is to copy the application's .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to $HOME/.local/share/applications/

and add the line:

Quote:Hidden=true

Reference:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/d...c-1.1.html

Where
"NoDisplay=true" would ,as per my understanding, work if it was set in the /usr/share/applications/ file but not in the copy of the file in the user's local dir, so Hidden=true is the one required setting that would override the presence of the global .desktop file.

Quote: Hidden should have been called Deleted. It means the user deleted (at his level) something that was present (at an upper level, e.g. in the system dirs). It's strictly equivalent to the .desktop file not existing at all, as far as that user is concerned. This can also be used to "uninstall" existing files (e.g. due to a renaming) - by letting make install install a file with Hidden=true in it.
(05-11-2021, 11:58 PM)pajux Wrote: A better way, which should be persistent across application updates, is to copy the application's .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to $HOME/.local/share/applications/

and add the line:

Oh neat, that did work. Always happy to learn new things like this. Smile
Very nice, thank you so much!

I tried and it works perfect。
(05-11-2021, 11:58 PM)pajux Wrote: A better way, which should be persistent across application updates, is to copy the application's .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to $HOME/.local/share/applications/

and add the line:

I have been doing lots of NoDisplay=true in /usr/share/applications but as you note updates often break my fix - many thanks for the better solution!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Glad it helped many out!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  icon keyboard chris_02 3 303 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  The settings icon disappeared kubussz 34 13,008 11-15-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  Exclamation point in cellular icon after update Zebulon Walton 8 4,525 06-22-2022, 05:57 PM
Last Post: albafrati
  Trying the camera switch on my PinePhone gilwood 5 3,210 04-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Last Post: jhasler
  lost settings icon from screen kubussz 3 2,428 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: beretta
  Disappeared one icon kubussz 0 840 02-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Last Post: kubussz
  How to clear recent call list? Zebulon Walton 2 2,565 03-25-2021, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Desktop Entry icon not appearing: how to diagnose? Saliency 6 4,942 03-15-2021, 05:49 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Is there a list of software/Hardware errors Franze_m 6 4,993 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  lost settings icon from screen bobblestiltskin 2 3,106 11-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: bobblestiltskin