WiFi Calling ?
I've been poking at my pinephone for the last few days - so far everything I use day-to-day works, but I can't find any guidance on getting WiFi calling up & running.

My network supports it, and I don't have to install an app or anything on my iPhone to have it working - so I'm not missing third-party software. I just can't find any UI settings for it on the pinephone / haven't found any terminal magic online yet.

Is there a command / etc. I need to use to sort out carrier settings on the pinephone, to get WiFi calling working ?
(05-11-2021, 07:09 AM)Methuen Wrote: I've been poking at my pinephone for the last few days - so far everything I use day-to-day works, but I can't find any guidance on getting WiFi calling up & running.

My network supports it, and I don't have to install an app or anything on my iPhone to have it working - so I'm not missing third-party software. I just can't find any UI settings for it on the pinephone / haven't found any terminal magic online yet.

Is there a command / etc. I need to use to sort out carrier settings on the pinephone, to get WiFi calling working ?
short version: there is not going to be wifi calling anytime soon.

i wonder, does quectel chip even support wifi calling. i have a memory that such capability is possible in quectel chip. unlike volte where quectel chip handles almost everything. wifi calling is more complicated because it needs to send packets outside of modem chip. thus more coding is needed and packets routed.

in technical sense, i don't every detail how wifi calling works. at least access to sim card is required either directly or indirectly.
Thanks, apprecaite the detail - good to know I wasn't going crazy.
I do believe WiFi is part of the system image, and custom software the provider makes for the OS. Recently, T-Mobile came out with WiF0 calling version 1, and made it not compatible with version so you would be forced to upgrade your phone.
If we could get one of the sip clients working, you could effectively have wifi calling via voip.
(07-19-2021, 11:04 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: If we could get one of the sip clients working, you could effectively have wifi calling via voip.

One already works: LinPhone, but the GUI is not mobile/touch screen friendly. One would have to put the effort into doing that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NomadNet (e2e mesh comms via BT/WiFi/LoRa) reTestability 6 2,509 03-10-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: reTestability
  Flight mode turns off wifi but not the modem (cellular) jojuma 2 1,333 02-28-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: calinb
  No wifi with phosh image wave22 3 2,403 02-15-2022, 07:25 AM
Last Post: wave22
  WiFi fun on a new PinePhone ~Daniel~ 3 3,267 06-30-2021, 07:20 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  Lomiri Calling syrinx 5 6,694 11-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Last Post: deedend