Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
(08-09-2021, 11:32 AM)nelstomlinson Wrote: swiley, which environment are you using?

I'm using FVWM since that's what I've been running for ~17 years and have a decent .fvwm2rc.
I've had to shelve my phone a few times because it has been unreliable. Some people claimed many months ago back when the UBports Community Edition was released that this was already stable enough for a daily driver which is clearly not the case. Right now I'm not receiving any sms texts. Im using Mobian right now. I have considered buying a second phone. It's no surprise seeing how some people have been selling their Pinephones.
First off,  I have been using Linux for roughly 22+ years,  but I never had any actual training with any systems.

So I am just a GUI user,  though I have spent countless hours reading and re-reading everything on this Forum.

When I first got my Brave Heart phone,  UT actually did work for talk, text, and wifi.

I was excited,  I even PayPal ed them  Several 'Donations'  

But then UT quit working, for me at least, 
  I heard that other people with the skill to do terminal and commandline could make it work, But not me.

Then I started distro hopping and I would find one that worked,  for a while....  I usually found at least one with talk & text.

So,  finally along came "Debian"  and that was working ok most of the time...  a-wai started playing with it, and Debian evolved into 'Mobian'...

Since then  the basics have been fairly dependable,  had a few minor glitches occasionally.

>   I now have multiple Pine phones, one is my main Daily Driver but I can now still try other distro's without missing service.

Everytime I have went back and tried UT,   it has not worked "For Me"
      SO,  I was very surprised when I heard they released a batch of phones with UT pre-installed...? ?

There were more complaints about the UT phone,   than there were about the Brave Heart release, which came with NO operating system.!

The PMOS phone did do much better,  but the crowd was/is growing,    so naturally more people does equal more complaints.

The Manjaro then Mobian, now again Manjaro releases of the Pine phone have been into a slightly more mature software eco-system.

How much effort does the "average" Pine phone buyer exert ?   I see many of the same questions asked over & over & over...

sometimes getting different answers each time it is asked ????

> What has helped me the Most I think has been the Hours of time spent reading here in the forum...
    (  Also when you get 3 different answers to one question,   it is up to you,    to pick the answer that works for you. )

> I remember back when I first looked at the original Brave Heart phone for sale in the Pine Store :

IT DID clearly state,   it is ""aimed at Developers and Linux Enthusiasts""   BUT  I was near the front of the line anyway when sales opened ...

QUESTION :   WHY have I had a working phone,
                             when so many,   that are definitely more Linux savvy than me,   do not have a working phone. ?

NOTE :  Last year,   here on this Forum I was called a Liar more than once,   when I claimed to be using my phone daily.
       I have purchased 1 Brave Heart 3 PMOS Convergent. 1 Manjaro Convergent phones, 
 *  *     if they do not work WHY would I have continued buying them.?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(07-27-2021, 05:55 PM)hiimtye Wrote: sxmo has come a longway since I first started using the PP so I use the PP for most things. my Android phone is basically a music player, Google Maps directions finder, and alarm clock, as those are niches that aren't well executed yet on the PP.

I have been thinking about making a post about this. I am doing a similar thing, using my old s5 (without SIM card) to smooth over some of the rough edges of the PinePhone. In my case, mainly the camera, todo.txt app, and using swipe input method to write anything lengthy.

One day I hope it will no longer be necessary. But I am so happy about being off the Android plantation (for the most part) that I am totally fine with this state of affairs for the time being!

(07-28-2021, 12:36 PM)auggiefroggie Wrote: Any recommendations for setting up xmpp? I've tried in the past but I never really got it working.

Client or server? And what platform(s)?

XMPP is just as easy to set up as email. There are a lot of servers out there open to the public if you don't want to set up your own. But even that is not terribly difficult, IMO (I've been running my server for at least 5 years now without much incident).

Happy to help in the interest of promoting protocols instead of platforms, just need to know where you seemed to have difficulty.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Yes but I'm running Archlinux rolling build and everything works out of the box unlike the broken os it shipped with. Also remember that you can use Web to create http desktop applications of all of your favorite services via settings>install site as desktop application.
Yes, got my pp around 4months ago, tested arch, manjaro(phosh and plasma), mobian. Latelly using mobian with bookworm i't's amazing how stable and good it is becoming, propably in the next months I will give a pine phone for my mom as she is a linux enthusiast too.
Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?

Yes. My Galaxy Note 2 was destroyed, so I decide to buy Pinephone

If yes: What distribution do you use?

Mobian, Nightly release

Which desktop environment/interface do you use?

Phosh

Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?

It's stable, but I think GPS don't work or I don't know how to start it.

Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations?

Well, I recommend to change Modem software, cause build-in modem software in Pinephone works "ok", but it's gets quickly temperature when you talk etc.

Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?

* Better GTK program scale to display. Some software are "nearly" usable, some you can't use on Pinephone
* Virtual Gamepad for games maybe ...?
* More software Wink
This might also be interesting in this context: People answering the question "Why do you use Mobian?"
Had my first modem disconnect today. It happened after a call I'd made connected, suddenly the "no modem" message came up and the call dropped. I have a desktop icon for a script that will reboot the modem, so I just did that and made the call again when it came back up. (Told the person on the other end who saw the call come in and immediately hang up that "the signal dropped" - close enough to the truth without having to get into explanations which are unlikely to be understood.) The modem is running the "002" firmware.
(09-15-2021, 02:15 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Had my first modem disconnect today. It happened after a call I'd made connected, suddenly the "no modem" message came up and the call dropped. I have a desktop icon for a script that will reboot the modem, so I just did that and made the call again when it came back up. (Told the person on the other end who saw the call come in and immediately hang up that "the signal dropped" - close enough to the truth without having to get into explanations which are unlikely to be understood.)  The modem is running the "002" firmware.

On Mobian? I am using mobian, it happens every now and then, but it takes maybe 30 seconds then it reconnects automatically with no action needed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,667 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  pinephone with lte-m chip and volte zetabeta 0 610 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
Last Post: zetabeta