Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
indeed the phone is large, I can not carry more than 5 inches, now I exclusively use the phone as a tablet at home and I have switched off the modem, but it is ready at any time to accept the SIM and go
It's something I probably should have anticipated but it just didn't occur to me until I actually started carrying the Pinephone around with me every day. Still, it's better than having to carry a phone infested with Google or Apple spyware.
when I first held a 6 inches Sony XA2 Ultra I was sure I could carry it with me, phones and cars need at least a week of test driving, though with Pine the point is privacy and escaping the ecosystem of the corporations as you stated
(08-02-2021, 07:53 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Still, it's better than having to carry a phone infested with Google or Apple spyware.
True! Cool
(And although it is really bulky for a smartphone, currently it has to be: Modular, repair-/upgradable, replacable battery and separate modem.)
Actually it's not much more bulky than a lot of others I've seen. Seems to be about the same size as a Google Pixel and some others I've seen people carrying. I'm getting used to it. After trying the holster both in horizontal and vertical positions, vertical seems to work best.

One annoying problem I've experienced is sometimes when the phone boots up it doesn't recognize the SIM is in there and it needs to be removed and re-inserted. Today I tried wedging a small, thin piece of flexible plastic cut from a milk bottle between the top of the SIM and the metal part of the SIM holder to make a firmer connection, will see if that works.

Another issue is that even at max volume a lot of calls aren't very loud and can be difficult to hear if there's any ambient noise. A wired headset helps with this. (As far as I know bluetooth audio for calls is not working yet in Mobian.)

Although I normally keep the phone off unless it needs to be used, I tested calling the Pinephone while suspended. It does wake up but by the time that happens and you swipe the screen and log back in the call goes to voicemail. (Is there any way to configure Mobian so there is no need to log back in coming out of suspend? That would save some time picking up the call.)

Overall though it's working out OK so far.
(08-05-2021, 11:05 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Although I normally keep the phone off unless it needs to be used, I tested calling the Pinephone while suspended. It does wake up but by the time that happens and you swipe the screen and log back in the call goes to voicemail. (Is there any way to configure Mobian so there is no need to log back in coming out of suspend? That would save some time picking up the call.)

I hadn't thought of that.  Not being able to answer calls in time is potentially a show stopper for me.  This doesn't have to be a great computer or a good camera, but it really does have to be a fully-functional telephone.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
From what I saw if you could just immediately answer the call when the phone comes out of suspend mode it would probably be OK.

With my provider calls go to voicemail if not picked up after 4 rings. (I'm not sure if it's possible to change this, might be something to look at.) It took 2 rings for the Pinephone to "wake up" and become responsive. So if it were possible at that point to just answer the call immediately it would work. As it stands now by the time you quickly swipe, put in the passcode, and log in, the call is just about to go into voicemail. (At least with my fumble-fingers.)
(08-05-2021, 12:33 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: From what I saw if you could just immediately answer the call when the phone comes out of suspend mode it would probably be OK.

With my provider calls go to voicemail if not picked up after 4 rings. (I'm not sure if it's possible to change this, might be something to look at.) It took 2 rings for the Pinephone to "wake up" and become responsive. So if it were possible at that point to just answer the call immediately it would work. As it stands now by the time you quickly swipe, put in the passcode, and log in, the call is just about to go into voicemail. (At least with my fumble-fingers.)

I need to get calls from work in the middle of the night.  The phone has to wake up, I have to wake up, and the phone needs to have something exposed for me to swipe to answer.  Trying to fumble through a lock screen is going to be a problem.  I don't want the stinkin' thing to have a lock screen in the first place.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
(08-05-2021, 04:25 PM)nelstomlinson Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 12:33 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: From what I saw if you could just immediately answer the call when the phone comes out of suspend mode it would probably be OK.

I need to get calls from work in the middle of the night.  The phone has to wake up, I have to wake up, and the phone needs to have something exposed for me to swipe to answer.  Trying to fumble through a lock screen is going to be a problem.  I don't want the stinkin' thing to have a lock screen in the first place.

You should probably have a landline. Even my iPhone had problems at night because I'd leave youtube running on it and often the battery would go flat. Landline phones are powered by the phone company so they never have this issue.
(08-05-2021, 04:25 PM)nelstomlinson Wrote: I need to get calls from work in the middle of the night.  The phone has to wake up, I have to wake up, and the phone needs to have something exposed for me to swipe to answer.  Trying to fumble through a lock screen is going to be a problem.  I don't want the stinkin' thing to have a lock screen in the first place.

I really don't want to make you disappointed - believe me. But the truth is - this "phone" does not work. I mean it does not work fundamentally.

You usually can't answer the call because it starts ringing just before your operator redirects you to the voice mail. SMS - well it works or not. Just like dev likes it. Or has no will to check this in his new build.

All software for this device is a perfect example of  "How to not develop software sanely".

And not only for Pinephone. The same with Pinebook Pro.

Seriously ? I have never seen such a f@#$kup.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  pinephone with lte-m chip and volte zetabeta 0 610 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
Last Post: zetabeta