Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
1. Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?
    Kinda. I have for the past week, and I do on and off every month or two to see how it's progressing as one. Otherwise I'm on  UBports Nexus 5's.

2. If yes: What distribution do you use?
    Manjaro. I've tried UBports and Postmark, but I've stuck with Manjaro now the past 6 months.

3. Which desktop environment/interface do you use?
    Posh

4. Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
     Yes, but buggy.
    * I've noticed many apps seem to struggle with copy/pasting text.
    * We really need an app to replace Geary, or Geary's UI to improve, it's unusable. I'd love to see Thunderbird made adaptive.
   * MMS please, I do miss group text and pictures from people. I never even know when they've tried.
   * Camera is pretty bad, it works for things like taking pictures of notes and book covers you don't want to forget, but it's not really something you'd use as an actual camera.

5. Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customization?
   * Alarm Clock: Birdie (since the native alarm won't wake up from deep sleep).
   * See question 6 for the rest.

6. Which customization did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?
    * A cronjob running every minute to test and reconnect the modem if it's been lost. As found here. This has been a big one.
    * Building ProtonMail bridge in no-gui mode (Geary is holding back my email a lot though).

(07-07-2021, 06:36 AM)iOld_Mil Wrote: No, and frankly I'm not going to try.  I emailed the pinestore today for refund instructions.  Although this is sold as a beta device, it's not.  Beta to me means that device mostly works and may need a low to moderate amount of baby sitting.  For a phone that means that out of the box, at a minimum, that incoming and outgoing voice calls, sms, and mms messages and contacts work flawlessly and are 100% reliable.

The phone is for people that want to support the development of Linux phones. If you'd have read up on the status of what is and isn't functioning on various operating systems you'd have known what you were getting yourself into. I don't think "Beta" ever means "flawless and 100% reliable" in any way at all. It's a shame to see Pine64 getting returns when in my opinion they've been pretty up front about the device they're selling.
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - by d0n601 - 07-07-2021, 01:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 258 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 184 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 446 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,681 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 553 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,211 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 458 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,601 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,800 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,849 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy