Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
(05-28-2021, 04:35 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: Should work OK - make sure you use a full MSISDN prefixed by a + for your numbers.
So, in spacebar, I should type in +1mytendigitphonenumber to text my USA phone? I'll give that a try. Pretty sure that I tried with just the ten digit number, no + or 1 at the start.

Oddly enough, on the 24th I tried to send my main phone a text from the Pinephone, and on the 30th it showed up, dated the 24th. No idea why it went through, no idea why the other test texts I sent did not.

I'm happy to keep messing with Arch/Manjaro for a while. I would like to find some sort of quickstart guide for the distro, though. Looks like discover is the gui for the package manager. I'm kind of disappointed that the shell doesn't have apropos.
1. Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?
yes, since march 2021
2. If yes: What distribution do you use?
initially used mobian, switched to postmarketos this week
3. Which desktop environment/interface do you use?
phosh
4. Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
i came from a nokia n900 with a brief miserable 2 year gap on a galaxy s4 after the n900s usb port dbasicallyied. my use case is rather simple, mainly music and a way to message my wife, with rare phone calls. both mobian and postmarketos handle this out of the box. i did switch from xmpp to matrix during my time with the s4, so the n900 unfortunately couldnt fit my use case anymore if i were to repair it.
5. Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations?
mobian has fractal as its default matrix client, but it doesnt currently support e2ee. nheko is my preferred client, but the nheko package in debian likes to segfault before logging in. mirage worked while on mobian. postmarketos has working nheko packaged
6. Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?
basically none. installed a usable matrix client, copied my music over, and thats pretty much it. i did install biktorjg's modem firmware, because open all the things. works pretty much perfect for me
Dukla, putting the +1 in front of the number did make the texts work.  Thanks!
【Pinephone 1】
・Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver? → yup.
・If yes: What distribution do you use? → Mobian
・Which desktop environment/interface do you use? → Phosh
・Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing? → the ability to access the desktop without hacks is missing. It used to be there, but the Purism decided to take that away from us for some reason.
・Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations? → I forked Phosh and re-enabled it, but it got really hard to keep up with all the good new features and bug fixes, so I gave up on it.
・Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver? → I'm using fcitx5 and mozc so I can type Japanese (which is essential if you're Japanese, don't you think?). I had to customize a whole lot back in November, but Phosh is becoming more and more usable without it as time progresses.

【Pinephone 2】
・Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver? → nope.
・If yes: What distribution do you use? → Manjaro ARM
・Which desktop environment/interface do you use? → PlaMo
・Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing? → quite a lot missing so far. Most of the interface is still hard-coded to English. The Japanese keyboard is seemingly unable to convert characters in pretty much all apps, even though it's the exact same keyboard used in Ubuntu Touch, which can convert characters without any problems. Megapixel is making you epileptic. And the non-Kirigami and non-Libhandy apps don't scale to phone screen size at all.
・Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations? → I had to install Anthy to fix the problem of keyboard getting permanently crashed after switching to Japanese input, but the Manjaro team confirmed they fixed this by having Anthy (and 2 Chinese-specific libraries) pre-installed with Manjaro ARM from now on, which is great.
・Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver? → Unlike Phosh, PlaMo still has a long way to go before I can consider it to be daily driver ready. But development really sped up over the past few months, now that more people are having a PinePhone. So I'm definitely positive that PlaMo has a bright future in sight, and could get about the same potential KDE Plasma 5 has today.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
[*]1. Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?

[*]Yes, since three months ago.

[*]2. If yes: What distribution do you use?
[*]Mobian.

[*]Phosh.

[*]4. Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
[*]6. Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?

[*]I keep track of the basic functionality that works for me, so that whenever I find the time I can do some tweaks and research to make thinks work.

[*]These worked out-of-the-box:
[*]- phone calls: yes
- sms: yes
- wifi: yes
- cellphone data: yes
- maps: yes
- camera: yes
- bluetooth: yes
- disk encryption: yes (during installation)
[*]- messaging apps: yes (telegram desktop)
[*]- ssh: yes (installed from the terminal)
[*]- external devices (keyboard, mouse): yes (with the usb-c dock, however the dock is not stable when plugged-in into the power for charging)

[*]These worked with some tweak:
[*]- contacts: yes (but in order to import contacts from the vcard standard, is
    necessary to go through evolution on the PC to create a database file that later
    you can copy to the phone)
- bitcoin wallet: electrum (found in the repo, but it needs manual app scaling
    APP-ID='electrum'), it is not optimized for small screens
- internet browsing: yes firefox-esr (but app scaling is needed)
[*]- hotspot: yes, but you need to add the hotspot from the terminal using `nmtui` command, let me stress that when I connect my pinephone to the laptop via the usb-c cable my laptop "sees" an ethernet connection automatically that allows me to connect to the internet without the need of the hotspot.

These are missing functionalities:
- copy/paste text: I can get the copy but not the paste, for example in SMS app.
- audio recording of phone calls: NO
- qr codes reader: NO

[*]5. Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations?

[*]Never tried.
(05-09-2021, 03:00 PM)jro Wrote: (snip)
  4. Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
  5. Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations?
  6. Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?

1) No(stillusing a Nokia N900 fpr phone and a lineagoOS for MicroG(no Google) tablet)  At this point the N900 is a mostly dumb phone to me with telephony, tether-able 3g data, an audiobook app, a multimedia app for music in the car, SMS, a barely usable navigation app, unusable browser in the web 2.0 era, and mostly only forgotten IM protocols(hello AOL IM and Yahoo!) excluding the extremely useful Bonjur to SMS bridge app HeySMS so I can SMS over IM from my desktop machine
2)  Mobian, with hopes for Maemo Leste's future
3) Phosh
4) I use the Pinephone side by side with my N900 as a phone, I cant tell if it is my unfamiliarity and small changes or rough spots and lack of personal configin the UI experience
5) sort of, I can play most  multimedia files with Kodi and can even barely demo the video playback but that needs some UI tweaks to be usable, messaging IM plug-ins is still weak vs the N900 so I must use the LineageOS tablet, I cant really make the pine a primary phone without an audiobook app for mode for my commute time.
6) Since lock down has ended I have not had much personal hacking time, most hand hack customization runs the risk of crippling user experience with no easy path back if mistakes are made and so it is better for me to loose important functionality than possibly compromise core telephony and SMS as the Pine will be my daily should N900 finally fail(it is 11 years old).  My opinion is hand hacks are an automatic fail for daily driver devices since the Y2K kernel 2.4.2 era Linux Sharp Zaurus and OpenMoko this is also my opinion for any daily use computing device; I want to be able to get functionality and update without having to risk a wipe and reinstall being the fastest fix.  That said I also understand we are not in the daily driver stage of development for Debian Mobile so I am taking my chances.
(06-07-2021, 12:06 AM)lagrang3 Wrote: however the dock is not stable when plugged-in into the power for charging
Perhaps it might help to use a different USB-C cable, and plug the other end into a consent rather than a PC in case you didn't do it yet.
The USB connector of the dock is pretty easy to unplug though, best is to connect and not touch the phone unless you really need to (like when the app menu for example).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?
yes - when at home
no - when out and about

If yes: What distribution do you use?
Arch

Which desktop environment/interface do you use?
phosh

Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
no import of contacts from SIM, no MMS support

Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations?
not realy tried

Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?
uninstalled unused applications: Lollypop, Geary, Firefox, Software Center

There is just realy one issue preventing this to become my fulltime daily: A incomming SMS issue where messages become "stuck" and I have to read/delete those with "mmcli".
(05-09-2021, 03:00 PM)jro Wrote: So these would be my questions, any answers and comment would be hugely appreciated:

1. yes most of the time
2.Sailfish OS
3. i think there is only one, but i like it very much
4. no everything there, very clear and modern.
5.yes , My Pebble Smartwatch is finally running again.
6. none, but waiting for the modem improvement so that SMS and calls work more stable.

Yes, for a few months now.
    Mobian
    Phosh
    Nothing phone basic was missing, only Signal messenger and a working video player.
    Installed Axolotl via deb package, installed vlc player via apt.
    Installed mobian (pmos edition), updated modem firmware, installed updates, edited hosts file for privacy, edited Firefox settings and installed plugins Ublock origin and EFF Privacy Badger.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 463 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,605 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,669 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  pinephone with lte-m chip and volte zetabeta 0 610 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
Last Post: zetabeta