Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
Quote:[*]Do you use the Pinephone as your daily driver?
[*]If yes: What distribution do you use?
[*]Which desktop environment/interface do you use?
[*]Does the interface offer the basic functionality you need or is something missing?
[*]Have you been able to add the missing functionality through third party applications or customisations?
[*]Which customisations did you apply to make the pinephone meet your expectations towards a daily driver?

1. Yes since a month ago.

2. Mobian stable from around march. From an SD card.
I ran and used Mobian unstable for a few months before that, but due to some uncorrectabale behaviour I wiped it clean.

3. Phosh from Purism, which is based on Gtk and Gnome. Though I'm looking for alternatives which have their focus primary on the PinePhone.

4. Yes. Better than the feature(dumb) phone that I used recently.
When the software gets stable enough, I may try to install the OS on the eMMC for extra speed when loading programs.

Issues with low priority:
- I haven't tried if the Maps program offers offline support for maps and GPS navigation. Nor have I researched if it has "Car Mode" (the latter feature is really useful on some occasions).
- Haven't found a good, secure alternative to skype. I'm still researching, but there's too much controversy on the topic.
- Haven't tested any email programs. But I don't have hope we'll see an alternative to Outlook.
- Using the calculator program is sub-optimal, but compared to my last cheap android phone - at least it has a calculator pre-installed.

5. I deleted official programs. The start screen is cleaner.

6. I've toggled the WiFi kill switch. It may be coincidence, but I think it helps with battery life on my Braveheart Edition.

Btw, I recently tried to resurrect an old Windows Phone and I think it really has the best UI in terms of simplicity and accessibility (two-colors interface with large text and icons). Too bad that most of the preinstalled programs now seem defunct, but the UI is really good.

Edit: I want to add that I've purchased the Beta Edition of PinePhone which will be my real daily driver. It's already in the country, so I'll get it really soon. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - by bosi564 - 05-12-2021, 05:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,525 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,943 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 384 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,481 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,610 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,671 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  pinephone with lte-m chip and volte zetabeta 0 611 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
Last Post: zetabeta