Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
1- Yes I do. Reason being my one+3 I bought used a year ago has been running a custom nongoogle image and now that droid is at 10+, I refuse to 1) buy another expensive phone, and 2) follow googles crappy update system. Whatever still works on my android9 one+ works. When or if it stops working? I don't care. I'll still use it with osmand and magic earth, and a few other aps as well. So it's not like a droid device no longer serves a purpose, It's just that google and co. doesn't.

2)- Mobian phosh stable not the nightly like I maybe should have installed. Manjaro plasma sucks imo. It kept crashing and the radios are retarded. Mobian phosh just plain works for both calls and basic text so that in a nutshell is a phone to me. That is also the only thing I worried about, whether or not I could actually supplant the 1+ with a pinephone. Answer? YES TFG.

3)- Phosh. Or whatever works

4)- All I cared was if I could make and take calls, texts too. Mobian phosh just plain works. There was literally zero network setup and I can even use it to hotspot back to my 1+. I haven't connected the phone with the dock so I still have some work to do software wise. All I've done to it is add some contact data, remove some stuff I don't like and install gthumb.

5)- Haven't connected it to a monitor so I still have some tweaking to do. This is not a device that you can fully tweak without doing so.

6)- I added my network passwords and I input all the contacts I thought I might actually use. THAT'S IT Oh yeah and I have to watch what it does or either the batter dies or it goes into airplane mode which breaks it as a "phone". I believe it's the updater which only works if I have wifi connected so I leave that off. Once I get vlc and my fav radio stream to work, I can forego hotspotting it to my oneplus. In the meantime if I really want to hear it while driving I'll just have to turn hotspot on and connect everything. NBD

I can tell it won't REPLACE android just yet. It's too slow for one. Two, some things in droid are droid so if I want to replace them I have to figure out an arm based debian alt. Whatever. I'll carry 2 devices around (while driving). That way osmand can still function as before for mapping. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - by Avatars - 05-10-2021, 06:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,533 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 465 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,947 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,484 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,613 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,677 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  pinephone with lte-m chip and volte zetabeta 0 612 10-02-2023, 05:42 AM
Last Post: zetabeta