12v Watts?
Just got my pinecil and it looks good. Did a quick test with lead free solder and it worked fine. 

The only barrel 5.5 mm power supply I had in the house was 12 volts. (no USB C in the house either) With my temperature set up to 360 C it barely maintained it that hot. I put a watt meter on the AC electric side if the cord and it showed a maximum of 19 watts, even though the 12 vDC converter can deliver 3 amps. . . 36 watts. 

I see in the wiki in the QC discussion, it says 12v will only deliver 18 watts. I assumed that was a QC limitation. Is the 18 watts at 12 volts always a limitation?  (I’ll go read some datasheets)
(05-08-2021, 03:09 PM)Enthalpy0 Wrote: Just got my pinecil and it looks good. Did a quick test with lead free solder and it worked fine. 

The only barrel 5.5 mm power supply I had in the house was 12 volts. (no USB C in the house either) With my temperature set up to 360 C it barely maintained it that hot. I put a watt meter on the AC electric side if the cord and it showed a maximum of 19 watts, even though the 12 vDC converter can deliver 3 amps. . . 36 watts. 

I see in the wiki in the QC discussion, it says 12v will only deliver 18 watts. I assumed that was a QC limitation. Is the 18 watts at 12 volts always a limitation?  (I’ll go read some datasheets)

aaaah, never mind, I see Ralim answered it in the other pinecil forum, I didn't check the 'accessories' pinecil forum.  Ohms Law.  It surprises me that the pinecil  'looks' like a simple 8.5 ohm resistance.  It all adds up now.

12v/8.5ohm = 1.4 amps
1.4 * 12 v = 17 watts

I'll probably cut and wire up an old laptop charger to the 5.5 mm barrel adapter.