Pinephone for Beginners... Wish me Luck!
Hello all,

New to the community, so thought I’d just so hello…

I don’t like computers much and really hate smartphones… so buying a Pinephone BE is probably not the advice most of you would give. However, that is what I have done.

Much of the info about the Pinephone warns that it is a work-in-progress and not a good choice for a “Daily Driver”, so for someone who doesn't get on with apps and maps, you must be wondering why I would want one?… well, the answer is simple – Linux!

After years of working with MS systems at work and Apple systems at home, I have recently discovered the wonders of the Linux kernel and all its many flavors of operating systems – via the accidental purchasing of a Raspberry Pi… long story, wont get into it now – and now I’m hooked.

In the short time that I have been using Linux, I have learned more about computers than I have in the last 30 years of working with them, as my job involves the need to convert 8-bit, hex code over RS485 networks into HTML readable data… and only now does it all make sense.

With my limited knowledge, I may be biting off more than I can chew with the Pinephone, but I’m willing to give it a go, as all I need for a daily driver is the ability to make and receive phone calls and SMS messages, a note pad with a spell checker, a calculator, a torch, a camera and at a push, a web browser… 

Wish me luck...
Good luck! I used linux for the first time in college, decided that if I had workstation focused computer I would do better. Forced myself to learn to use the OS explicitly for the purposes of productivity, and I do not regret that decision. Graduated with a programming diploma and a renewed sense of discipline.
Good luck.

Not had much time to mess with mine yet but tried Manjaro that it came with and Ubuntu Touch. I don't feel that either were quite ready for me to use as my phone just yet.

Very happy with my device and glad I own one but after missing a few calls due to one thing or another I had to revert back to one of my other phones for actual duty.
(05-04-2021, 02:00 PM)Frankie Wrote: Good luck.

Not had much time to mess with mine yet but tried Manjaro that it came with and Ubuntu Touch. I don't feel that either were quite ready for me to use as my phone just yet.

Very happy with my device and glad I own one but after missing a few calls due to one thing or another I had to revert back to one of my other phones for actual duty.

Cheers guys,

I don’t have mine yet, but I have seen a few videos on the various distros that work on the phone and I have to say I did like the look of the Ubuntu Touch…

And as long as I can make phone calls, I won’t be to bothered about missing them as I often turn my current phone off for a bit of peace and quite – so I’ll probably be switching the modem off a lot of the time until I need to make a call… one of the many reason I wanted the Pinephone as soon as I discovered its existence ;-)
Mine is so much better since I switched to Mobian.

Amazing device being able to just change distro which is of course one of the reasons I got it. So don't worry if you're not so happy with it as it comes default. It's been doing alright at calls and SMS. Not really used the internet with it except to do the updates.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,199 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,527 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,945 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,483 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,611 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,675 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma