Broke Calble latch replacing motherboard
Photo 
Hello!  So I have the pinephone ubports edition, and was replacing the motherboard with the upgraded 3gb/32gb edition. Somehow during the process the small plastic latch connecting one of the cables came off (and got lost). Now my phone turns on but the touchscreen doesn't work.  Is there some way to fix this?  I'm not really sure what a good solution is.

https://imgur.com/a/6Aznyvw
(04-29-2021, 05:24 AM)brokencode64 Wrote: Now my phone turns on but the touchscreen doesn't work.  Is there some way to fix this? 

I don't know that connectors purpose off hand, but it sounds like from your description that it's the ribbon cable for the touch screen... so you're in a bit of a pickle! I would be pushing the cable flat to the board, and seeing if it still works... not sure the best way to fix it... basically you need something that is keeping the contacts on the ribbon pressed to the board connectors contacts...
(04-29-2021, 05:46 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 05:24 AM)brokencode64 Wrote: Now my phone turns on but the touchscreen doesn't work.  Is there some way to fix this? 

I don't know that connectors purpose off hand, but it sounds like from your description that it's the ribbon cable for the touch screen... so you're in a bit of a pickle! I would be pushing the cable flat to the board, and seeing if it still works... not sure the best way to fix it... basically you need something that is keeping the contacts on the ribbon pressed to the board connectors contacts...

Yeah, that was basically my conclusion. Didn't know if anyone has some nice trick for fixing thing. Probably I'll end up rigging something odd to get it to work otherwise XD.
(04-29-2021, 06:33 AM)brokencode64 Wrote: Probably I'll end up rigging something odd to get it to work otherwise XD.

Blutack (and chewing gum Exclamation) work wonders at times! Big Grin
(05-04-2021, 05:08 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 06:33 AM)brokencode64 Wrote: Probably I'll end up rigging something odd to get it to work otherwise XD.

Blutack (and chewing gum Exclamation) work wonders at times!  Big Grin
I'll give that a try! Probably the blutack first Wink.
That's the connection for the touch screen.

You can see it initialize in dmesg during boot.
Code:
[    1.363669] input: Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen as /devices/platform/soc/1c2ac00.i2c/i2c-1/1-005d/input/input3
You can test to see if it is detected on the i2c bus with:
Code:
sudo i2cdetect -y 1

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:                         -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- UU -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 38 39 -- -- -- 3d -- 3f
40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
It is 5d. UU indicates a driver is currently attached to it. You may need to install i2c-tools.
Toothpick ends? They're awesome for this sort of thing.
I finally got some blu-tack and was able to use it to press the cable down. My touchscreen now works! Phone saved and upgraded =D. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine/ARM mATX motherboard product? ashleymills 8 10,873 08-25-2020, 04:31 PM
Last Post: derekn