Newbie - Arch Linux - Carrier Info - Thoughts
I got my PinePhone a few days ago. I wanted to document my thoughts and findings. I am a huge Arch Linux fan. So, I went with Arch Linux on the PinePhone.

Installing Arch Linux
I used Jumpdrive to expose the eMMC and flashed the latest Arch release. Thank you @Danct12
I then used ssh to log into my phone and updated everything to the latest releases.
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu

Carrier Info (I will add this to the wiki once I can create an account)
I already had a phone using FaithWireless (An AT&T virtual carrier) and just moved over the SIM.
Calls and Text messages worked without doing anything.
I am hopeful that FaithWireless (AT&T) will allow the phone to stay on the carrier in Feb 2022
  • I was told, if you make a phone call and the phone drops to 3G during the call, it will be removed because it is doing Vo3G not VoLTE. The PinePhone stayed at 4G during phone calls. 
4G (data) I had to set the wireless settings to: link
Code:
Name NXTGENPHONE
APN NXTGENPHONE

The PROS
  1. Flashing the OS was easy
  2. Connecting to Wifi was easy
  3. Maps and GPS worked
  4. Camera worked
  5. I can add software with "sudo pacman -S pcmanfm"
  6. I can update the whole phone with "sudo pacman -Syyu"
  7. Syncthing is in the repositories and could be launched via terminal
  8. Geary works well with gmail
  9. Gnome-Calendar work well with google calendar
Wish List
  1. squeekboard - to have swype/swipe
  2. squeekboard - to have suggested words pop up (spellchecker)
  3. Geary - to have some swipe options
  4. Gnome-Calendar - to have some swipe options 
  5. Display size to have a 150% option
  6. Brave Browser to added to the repositories
(04-26-2021, 09:36 PM)mikehenson Wrote: Wish List
  1. Brave Browser to added to the repositories
They'll add after Brave releases an ARM version for Linux.
https://github.com/brave/brave-core/pull/6927
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Good to hear that everything is working well for you! Although if you really want to build your own environment then check out the barebone image.. waiting for the keyboard attachment Big Grin

Wish List
  1. squeekboard - to have swype/swipe
  2. squeekboard - to have suggested words pop up (spellchecker)
[/quote]

Would be better to suggest it to upstream: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/squeekboard/-/issues
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
Having Problems w. AT&T as carrier.  Phone call is intermittent and breaks up quit often.  Text Messaging seem to work fine, although really hard to use such a small keyboard.
@iwm

1) What OS do you have? I ask to make sure your phone is not going to "3G" when making a phone call. 3G will make the call break up and drop.

2) What virtual carrier are you using? Are you in the USA?  I ask because AT&T and Cricket will ONLY let their approved devices on their network. You have to use a vitual provider to use AT&T backbone. see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_C...ort#AT.26T
(10-25-2021, 10:27 AM)mikehenson Wrote: @iwm

1) What OS do you have? I ask to make sure your phone is not going to "3G" when making a phone call. 3G will make the call break up and drop.

2) What virtual carrier are you using? Are you in the USA?  I ask because AT&T and Cricket will ONLY let their approved devices on their network. You have to use a vitual provider to use AT&T backbone. see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_C...ort#AT.26T

I am in the US. Colorado to be exact.  Right in the middle of the US.  Phone is working (for the most part) I had a Blackberry Z30 which has a Sim which they disabled about a month ago.  They (AT&T) sent me a new pre-paid phone an ALCATEL which is Android OS.  I took the Sim from it and am using it in my PinePhone Beta.  It does work but seems to act up if I talk to someone on the same network (AT&T).
@iwm
I have no issues with talking on my phone. I talk to others on the AT&T network just fine. (I only have issues if the PinePhone tries to use 3G for the phone call)
If you are using Phsoh, try forcing 4G only. "Settings >> Mobile >> Network Mode" to 4G only. Mine is set at "2G, 3G. 4G (preferred)"

My setup:
OS - Rolling Arch with Phosh
Carrier - FaithWireless (A Virtual AT&T provider) (FaithWireless is a small startup and they are incredibly helpful when I have network questions. I keep finding it is ALWAYS my fault when something does not work)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,301 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Linux Kernel development Uturn 10 1,838 11-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 644 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
Sad PinePhone carrier support bucnham 2 1,109 12-27-2022, 12:37 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  No sms receival on Arch Phosh Pinephone pineuser0 2 1,301 10-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  Instructions to get pinephone working on USA carrier omarcomputing 1 1,286 10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  PinePhone as Linux PDA? jakfish 4 1,932 08-31-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,972 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
Heart Pinephone compatability in Sweden with Telia and some other thoughts and insights! Lubbvard-tentakel 1 1,254 04-13-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Newbie impressions PP64 Dinosaur1946 10 5,613 01-11-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946