PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card
My beta edition PinePhone will not boot from the SD card. I was getting the red notification light, but it never got past that.

I tried two different Micro SD cards that work in a different beta edition PinePhone, but they would not boot.

Also, I tried putting a Micro SD card in without a OS to see if I could see that when booting from the emmc, but the phone would not boot then. I inserted the Micro SD card after the phone was on (don’t know if this was a bad idea or not) and then I was able to see it.

I am putting it in the correct slot though I wish that was the fix Smile

Anyone have an idea on what could cause this?

Solution: This was caused by a issue with the card detection pin. Using the modified version of U-boot set to ignore the card detection pin is a workaround for if the card detection is broken. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...775&page=3
I would try reflashing the SD Card, On my UBports edition will do the same thing when it encounters an SD card that it cannot boot from. I personally use etcher for flashing images to SD card.
(04-26-2021, 11:14 AM)Captain1ndustry Wrote: I would try reflashing the SD Card, On my UBports edition will do the same thing when it encounters an SD card that it cannot boot from. I personally use etcher for flashing images to SD card.

Sadly I already tried that, thanks anyway. Just got a new SD card today and that one will not boot in this phone either, but it will boot in another PinePhone I have.
(04-26-2021, 03:47 PM)Timothy_Ecc Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 11:14 AM)Captain1ndustry Wrote: I would try reflashing the SD Card, On my UBports edition will do the same thing when it encounters an SD card that it cannot boot from. I personally use etcher for flashing images to SD card.

Sadly I already tried that, thanks anyway. Just got a new SD card today and that one will not boot in this phone either, but it will boot in another PinePhone I have.

Sometimes when my PinePhone gets stuck and I force a poweroff it seems that the hardware will get stuck in a non-self recovering state (red led lit for more than 1 minute). When this happens I remove the battery, and in succession hold the power button, volume down, volume up, volume down, and finally power for 8 seconds each. I then reinstall the battery and the PinePhone boots properly.

Mark
Quote:Sometimes when my PinePhone gets stuck and I force a poweroff it seems that the hardware will get stuck in a non-self recovering state (red led lit for more than 1 minute). When this happens I remove the battery, and in succession hold the power button, volume down, volume up, volume down, and finally power for 8 seconds each. I then reinstall the battery and the PinePhone boots properly.

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion. Just gave this a try and still only get the red light. I can boot from the emmc, but can't boot from any of the SD cards I have tried. The SD cards do work in another pinephone just not this one, so I don't thing they are the problem.

It definitely seems to be something wrong with the phone.
(04-26-2021, 04:56 PM)Timothy_Ecc Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. Just gave this a try and still only get the red light. I can boot from the emmc, but can't boot from any of the SD cards I have tried. The SD cards do work in another pinephone just not this one, so I don't thing they are the problem.

It definitely seems to be something wrong with the phone.

The fact that I gets stuck when you have an SD card installed indicates to me that the PinePhone detects the card. Maybe there is a dirt film on one of the contacts for the SD card. Try a business card cut to fit in the slot with some isopropyl  alcohol. Be gentle/careful and fully dry before powering it back up.

Mark
(04-26-2021, 05:57 PM)mark1250 Wrote: The fact that I gets stuck when you have an SD card installed indicates to me that the PinePhone detects the card. Maybe there is a dirt film on one of the contacts for the SD card. Try a business card cut to fit in the slot with some isopropyl  alcohol. Be gentle/careful and fully dry before powering it back up.

Mark

Interesting idea I gave it a try, but it didn't help. I wonder if there is any way to check the software/hardware that boots from the SD card.
If an SD card has previously had an OS flashed to it you need to zero out the first few bytes or it will cause the device to not boot to emmc.
(04-29-2021, 10:44 PM)MtnSk8 Wrote: If an SD card has previously had an OS flashed to it you need to zero out the first few bytes or it will cause the device to not boot to emmc.

Good point. That is likely why I was unable to boot when I had a SD card without a OS on it since I did not zero out the first few bytes after wiping the card.

Thought I still can't figure out why I can't boot from a card that boots in another PinePhone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  systemic issue pinephone penguins_rule 1 153 03-22-2024, 06:06 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  link for supported pinephone os manjharo et all penguins_rule 2 116 03-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  Boot fails ionmich 6 1,032 11-02-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  How do I import SIM card contacts? Logological 8 5,029 06-04-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: mruser1
  new PinePhone upgrade issue WhiteHexagon 5 1,616 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Can't add micro SD card to Pinephone thorensjubilee 7 2,345 02-27-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Freeze kmsgli 14 7,123 02-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Westslope
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,559 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Question Problem with booting from SD card. Several errors LittleStone 0 789 09-04-2022, 02:34 PM
Last Post: LittleStone
  Pinephone craches after each call neithan76 2 1,533 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Chief