Multiple issues with new phone
Hello!

So I got my phone yesterday and the excitement was well y'all know! Anyhow I followed the simple instructions the phone came with to get it started up. All good no problem. Once I got the basic start up completed I pretty much left the phone on the charger for the night (12+ hours) and it indicated it was charging but it never got past 86% charge.

Next the brightness won't stay where I set it and slides up and down until finally it just won't  stay illuminated (screen is black). But if I plug the phone in, it works. So on battery power... its whacky. I got an AT&T SIM installed (seems to work, I was able to call and receive calls) but for the life of myself and the fellow helping, I could not find a way to enter the APN. So I don't have access to the data plan...

Network connection, been trying to find a network connection protocol... not so much luck with that either.

I did manage to get a 600+MB update installed, I had hoped it would have resolved the screen issue. But now it seems to do it even when plugged in!? So I get this is BETA but I am kind of not sure where to go from here. Tips? Advice?
(04-24-2021, 03:26 PM)GlockG20 Wrote: Hello!

So I got my phone yesterday and the excitement was well y'all know! Anyhow I followed the simple instructions the phone came with to get it started up. All good no problem. Once I got the basic start up completed I pretty much left the phone on the charger for the night (12+ hours) and it indicated it was charging but it never got past 86% charge.

Next the brightness won't stay where I set it and slides up and down until finally it just won't  stay illuminated (screen is black). But if I plug the phone in, it works. So on battery power... its whacky. I got an AT&T SIM installed (seems to work, I was able to call and receive calls) but for the life of myself and the fellow helping, I could not find a way to enter the APN. So I don't have access to the data plan...

Network connection, been trying to find a network connection protocol... not so much luck with that either.

I did manage to get a 600+MB update installed, I had hoped it would have resolved the screen issue. But now it seems to do it even when plugged in!? So I get this is BETA but I am kind of not sure where to go from here. Tips? Advice?

To help protect the health of the battery there is a charging cutoff in the kernel atm. Not sure personally how you'd change it, but it's not in the UI as an option. Brightness changing especially after suspend is a known issue and hopefully will get solved. As for it going black, I assume you mean it's turning off after a few seconds? That's the suspend and screen timer turning off the screen and eventually putting the phone to sleep to save battery. Unfortunately that too has a known issue at the moment which means that the screen settings panel in the settings does not actually work, so you can't stop it from turning the screen black or going into suspend unless you tap on the screen every few seconds. Mobile data is also an known issue, and is actually being actively worked on, so hopefully soon there will be a solution for that. These issues are exactly why this device is considered in beta still, as while the hardware has matured, the software still needs lots of work and is not really user friendly for now.
(04-24-2021, 06:55 PM)Aberts10 Wrote:

To help protect the health of the battery there is a charging cutoff in the kernel atm. Not sure personally how you'd change it, but it's not in the UI as an option. Brightness changing especially after suspend is a known issue and hopefully will get solved. As for it going black, I assume you mean it's turning off after a few seconds? That's the suspend and screen timer turning off the screen and eventually putting the phone to sleep to save battery. Unfortunately that too has a known issue at the moment which means that the screen settings panel in the settings does not actually work, so you can't stop it from turning the screen black or going into suspend unless you tap on the screen every few seconds. Mobile data is also an known issue, and is actually being actively worked on, so hopefully soon there will be a solution for that. These issues are exactly why this device is considered in beta still, as while the hardware has matured, the software still needs lots of work and is not really user friendly for now.
Okay, I didn't expect to be able to replace my droid yet, but I thought the basics were covered. All good! I read somewhere that there are different flavors for the phone that allow a bit more control. I managed on one occasion to stumble on the software repository and applications installed function... but have not been able to find it again.

Currently on my mini-PC and laptops I run Linux Mint so I am not familiar with Plasma or Manjaro (which is rather ironic as when I started cutting my teeth on Linux it was with Mandrake!)

The big thing for me is to be able to get into the phones applications and settings and play with them, see if I can find solutions or work arounds. And in this back to my reading... there are different "OS's" that can be installed onto the phone. Would you recommend I pursue that venue? Or keep bashing at the Manjaro install?

And thank you for the reply! Much appreciated!
(04-24-2021, 07:11 PM)GlockG20 Wrote:

Okay, I didn't expect to be able to replace my droid yet, but I thought the basics were covered. All good! I read somewhere that there are different flavors for the phone that allow a bit more control. I managed on one occasion to stumble on the software repository and applications installed function... but have not been able to find it again.

Currently on my mini-PC and laptops I run Linux Mint so I am not familiar with Plasma or Manjaro (which is rather ironic as when I started cutting my teeth on Linux it was with Mandrake!)

The big thing for me is to be able to get into the phones applications and settings and play with them, see if I can find solutions or work arounds. And in this back to my reading... there are different "OS's" that can be installed onto the phone. Would you recommend I pursue that venue? Or keep bashing at the Manjaro install?

My personal preference is plasma mobile, simply because it runs smoothly thanks to using QT's GPU acceleration, looks really nice, and uses the same technology stack as plasma desktop basically (so it will share features with plasma desktop too). However Phosh is definitely a little less buggy than Plasma Mobile and is more usable at the moment, so if you want something mostly functional for now I'd play with that. So with that said my recommendation would be for now to just keep Manjaro Plasma on the eMMC as it came from the factory, and install Arch Linux arm with Phosh or postmarketOS with Phosh onto a SD card to play around with, however it's up to you what you want to try out and play with.
(04-24-2021, 03:26 PM)GlockG20 Wrote: Next the brightness won't stay where I set it and slides up and down until finally it just won't  stay illuminated (screen is black). But if I plug the phone in, it works.
It seems that the Settings -> Screen setup application is still not fixed - see the following thread:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13481
(04-24-2021, 08:28 PM)Aberts10 Wrote:

My personal preference is plasma mobile, simply because it runs smoothly thanks to using QT's GPU acceleration, looks really nice, and uses the same technology stack as plasma desktop basically (so it will share features with plasma desktop too). However Phosh is definitely a little less buggy than Plasma Mobile and is more usable at the moment, so if you want something mostly functional for now I'd play with that. So with that said my recommendation would be for now to just keep Manjaro Plasma on the eMMC as it came from the factory, and install Arch Linux arm with Phosh or postmarketOS with Phosh onto a SD card to play around with, however it's up to you what you want to try out and play with.

What distro works I have had my Pinephone more than a year and noting works I think they shipped me a defective phone since I can not make phone calls, text, email, play mp3 or video files, take pictures or videos .

None of the basic functionality works I would like to test and verify they do work.

I can not understand how they can build and test ship and nothing functions.

Thanks.
(06-18-2021, 09:30 PM)K_Research Wrote:

What distro works I have had my Pinephone more than a year and noting works I think they shipped me a defective phone since I can not make phone calls, text, email, play mp3 or video files, take pictures or videos .

None of the basic functionality works I would like to test and verify they do work.

Thanks.
You really need to test your hardware using the factory test build in the wiki under operating systems
(06-18-2021, 09:30 PM)K_Research Wrote:

Thanks.

Have you updated your distribution? Have you tried other distributions? What carrier do you have?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 933 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,418 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  Is it normal for the pinephone to "discharge" after fully charged on multiple OS? Shad190 2 872 05-10-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Shad190
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc