Manjaro (Plasma OS) bugs/ issues
Quote:Hi - can you tell me step by step how you got to this file? did you connect the phone to a dongle, or just use the terminal? What commands did you enter? What line in the above file did you change? Thank you, as I'm having this same issue from a phone I bought on Friday. 

I used the command below in terminal to access the file. You can also connect using a Serial cable such as this if you have it and then you wouldn't have to deal with the screen turning off.

There are directions on the wiki on how to make a serial cable if you want to make one instead of buying it. I used the picocom command on this link to access the serial connection using Manjaro on my desktop, but there are ways in Windows as well. (You may need to install picocom first for linux.)

Code:
sudo nano .config/powermanagementprofilesrc

If you have not used the nano editor I would suggest looking up a guide.

Next, I made the file exactly match what I have below:

Code:
[AC]
icon=battery-charging

[AC][DPMSControl]
idleTime=60
lockBeforeTurnOff=1

[AC][DimDisplay]
idleTime=300000

[AC][HandleButtonEvents]
lidAction=1
powerButtonAction=128
powerDownAction=16

[Battery]
icon=battery-060

[Battery][DPMSControl]
idleTime=60
lockBeforeTurnOff=1

[Battery][DimDisplay]
idleTime=30000

[Battery][HandleButtonEvents]
lidAction=1
powerButtonAction=128
powerDownAction=16

[Battery][SuspendSession]
idleTime=300000
suspendType=1

[LowBattery]
icon=battery-low

[LowBattery][BrightnessControl]
value=30

[LowBattery][DPMSControl]
idleTime=30
lockBeforeTurnOff=1

[LowBattery][DimDisplay]
idleTime=30000

[LowBattery][HandleButtonEvents]
lidAction=1
powerButtonAction=128
powerDownAction=16

[LowBattery][SuspendSession]
idleTime=300000
suspendType=1

Making it exactly match is probably not 100% needed, but I was not sure what part that was different was causing the problem. (This file is copied from a fully working PinePhone.)
Got the Beta edition of PinePhone yesterday (running Manjaro).

I've played with it for a day and want to share my experience. Excuse if some things are already reported. But i wanted to share my full experience so far with it.
Note: I mainly visited it from the UI side, as my linux development skills are very limited (i know how to use the terminal/vim but my programming skills are mostly related to Web applications React / SpringBoot and not to an OS or C++ apps of any kind).

Hardware
The phone itself looks fine. It's nothing special compared to some of the latest flagships, but it is well built and definitely polished enough for day to day use.
It was very easy to get the back off, pull out the battery and insert the sim/microsd card. Only thing to keep in mind is you need a micro sim and not a nano sim. But for the rest it was all very easy to get unpacked and set-up.
Pro tip: There is a screen protector with a peel tab on it. By accident i only removed the peel tab but this left me with a free screen protector still applied Smile
Out of all the hardware, the camera is definitely the weakest part. You do not want to get this phone if taking decent photos is of any importance to you.

Software
This is the special part of the PinePhone: it runs a fully open-source OS (or to say, can run many OSes). The intention is awesome, but in my opinion, right now it's also the Achilles' heel of this phone. I've only used the default OS of this beta edition (which is Manjaro) so your experience may vary with other OS.

I had expected that there will be limited 3rd-party apps and was positively surprised with how much apps came already pre-installed. Apart from Maps and Mail, almost everything that a regular smartphone comes out of the box with, is included.
But while most parts of the OS and apps are there, most of them are still very rough. The label "beta" made me aware that there will be some bugs, but in my opinion there are more than a few bugs right now and "Alpha" would still better describe how i experience this OS right now.

In order of annoyance to me, here's my (non-exhaustive) list of encountered bugs / issues:
- The phone seems to freeze or get stuck after not being used for a while. I've had to force-reboot it numerous times in the last 24 hours already. Sometimes it is not clear if the phone is still loading something or got stuck (doesn't respond to touch for several seconds when navigating, multitasking, opening apps).
- The convergence dock seems to cause graphical glitches or the phone to get stuck on a black screen when unplugged. With my main monitor (up to 4k) it doesn't work at all. Only with an older monitor (up to 1080p) it can sometimes work. But even then it takes multiple tries before the keyboard, mouse and HDMI are all detected and working properly.
- The home screen fails to keep its order of added icons and widgets. Sometimes everything gets crushed on top of each other and on 1 place. Other times icons are just moved to a different place than i dragged them.
- The modem sometimes shows funky messages ("IP configuration is not available") and sometimes loses signal. This must really be fixed before you can use this as a real phone. And when switching from wifi to LTE you have to run some terminal command to get DNS...
- Rotating the screen is slow and often leaves artifacts or half-sized windows.
- Some of the apps sometimes don't open. Right now, Clip will never open.
- The lock screen is slow to pop up when pressing the power button. It also shows a 12-hour clock instead of the configured 24-hour clock
- The battery percentage indication is all over the place: it jumps up and down without being plugged in to a charger. (this reminds me of the battery indicator of the iPod touch a long time ago.)
- There is no email client included and i couldn't find one that is optimized for mobile display (Geary is the only one but doesn't support Oauth which is now needed for Gmail)
- The browser seems to lack hardware accelaration, causing slowdowns and videos to play back at very low quality only
- The camera app (Megapixels) sometimes opens the camera wrong aspect ratio and the camera has issues with screen rotation
- The settings look incomplete: there is no way to customize the lock screen, the screen timeouts are broken (see also the other topics) and you cannot change the APN settings (if needed). There is also no airplane mode (isn't this legally required on every phone?). And where can you change things like the ringtone?
- The phone can get quite hot when being used / charged
- There is no maps app / GPS
- Most apps in Discover are only meant for desktop computers and there is no easy indication to see if something is optimized for mobile or not.

All in all, a phone running Linux is a very cool idea, but I wouldn't call this a Beta OS right now. If at least the bugs with freezing, the convergence dock, home screen lay-out resetting and the modem losing signal are fixed, then this can be considered a beta in my opinion.
I probably need to write a "real review", but I'll just add:

- using the automatic setting for the time doesn't work either - when I've powered it off and then back on, the time can change by hours, or sometimes by minutes. Yesterday, it was 6:00 pm, and my phone was saying it was 3:35. How did it come up with that? I don't know. I switched it over to manual time settings, and it has stuck with the correct time there.

- speakerphone doesn't work. Also I've never been able to hang up a call with the red disconnect button. Yes, I'm using it as a daily driver.

- Also, I've never been able to get it to work with HDMI output from the pine dongle.

- And sometimes, the keyboard covers up navigation and I can't get it to go away - is there a swipe motion that makes the onscreen keyboard disappear? Seems like there was a motorola phone with android on it years ago where you would swipe from the control key over to the spacebar or something and it would cancel the keyboard.

- I do like that when I plug in a keyboard and mouse, it acts like a real desktop computer.

Keep going guys & gals, I really like this phone's potential.
Hello and thank you for the PinePhone.
I received mine (Beta Edition) on the 13th of May, 2021.
I also experience the issue with the lock-screen loop when the phone is not charging. It began after I had changed the lock-screen settings.
I used this forum thread's advice of edition or creating the file
Code:
.config/powermanagementprofilesrc
with its content copied from this thread but it didn't solve my problem. This file is the only one in the .config directory. Maybe I need to restart or activate something in order for the changes in this file to take effect, but I don't know what to restart except for the whole operating system.
I don't know if this issue is software related or battery related. The battery percentage indicator shows random numbers, e.g. it increases or decreases spontaneously whether the phone is charging or unplugged from the charger.
(05-14-2021, 02:37 PM)Staun Wrote: I also experience the issue with the lock-screen loop when the phone is not charging. It began after I had changed the lock-screen settings.
This is fixed in Plasma Mobile Gear 21.05 update:
https://www.plasma-mobile.org/info/plasm...ear-21-05/
Update to the latest software or flash the latest build.
(05-15-2021, 04:05 AM)acrux Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 02:37 PM)Staun Wrote: I also experience the issue with the lock-screen loop when the phone is not charging. It began after I had changed the lock-screen settings.
This is fixed in Plasma Mobile Gear 21.05 update:
https://www.plasma-mobile.org/info/plasm...ear-21-05/
Update to the latest software or flash the latest build.
Thank you.
The link you gave shows a page with "404: Page not found error". Could you please provide the correct one?
And the second question: where is the guide on how to flash? Specifically: how to flash to the eMMC? This is the proper way as I understand. Am I right?
I'm very new to PinePhone although I've been following the news about it for the last 1.5 years and finally decided to give it a try as soon as Beta Edition had become available. I really wanna use it but I don't wanna break it just after two days of having it.
(05-15-2021, 05:01 AM)Staun Wrote: The link you gave shows a page with "404: Page not found error". Could you please provide the correct one?
Sorry, the link is correct now.
(05-15-2021, 05:01 AM)Staun Wrote: And the second question: where is the guide on how to flash? Specifically: how to flash to the eMMC? This is the proper way as I understand. Am I right?
Everything is in the wiki:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_I...structions
But you could try to just update at first if you are not familiar with the "flashing" procedures...
(05-14-2021, 01:25 PM)mudflap Wrote: - And sometimes, the keyboard covers up navigation and I can't get it to go away - is there a swipe motion that makes the onscreen keyboard disappear? Seems like there was a motorola phone with android on it years ago where you would swipe from the control key over to the spacebar or something and it would cancel the keyboard.

It's the same pattern than on Sailfish OS : you can swipe any key to the bottom and it will go away.

On my side I observe other issues with the keyboard :
Sometimes it doesn't produce any text in the input, I have to switch app / rotate screen / lock the phone to make it work again.
Also, Ctrl+c doesn't work in the terminal. If I run e.g. "top", I can't do anything else than quitting the terminal.
From my side:
  • unreliable telephony functions including mobile data connection
  • unreliable notification system (calls, alarms etc...)
  • virtual keyboard problems as in previous post
  • no Plasma Mobile e-mail client optimised for phone screen
  • sad state of xmpp/jabber clients in Plasma Mobile (corresponding topic: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13482 )
great! that was it! thank you. it's a little buggy, but seems to work the 2nd or 3rd time. wow.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ttyescape on manjaro lolgzs 0 7 2 hours ago
Last Post: lolgzs
  double tap to wake > plasma mobile Uturn 3 343 05-19-2022, 07:55 PM
Last Post: epiii2
  auto start waydroid in plasma mobile? Uturn 2 440 04-19-2022, 03:47 AM
Last Post: dorthatapia
Lightbulb Using the fingerprint scanner w/ Manjaro danimations 0 133 04-10-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: danimations
Music Changing ringtone on Manjaro Phosh WebFreak 1 897 04-08-2022, 12:57 AM
Last Post: bellaalice
Question Help installing Snaps on Pinephone running Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh danimations 2 221 04-07-2022, 06:02 AM
Last Post: danimations
Question Running AnBox on Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh? danimations 1 226 04-07-2022, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Manjaro Plasma Beta and Cellular Data Service Fred Zyphal 7 1,353 03-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Some "tricks and tips" for Manjaro Plasma Mobile acrux 1 1,300 03-10-2022, 10:38 AM
Last Post: israel
  Manjaro Phosh Issues Csanderson0313 8 2,317 03-05-2022, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Csanderson0313