Is HDCP absolutely needed?
Hi,

I have several screens. But only on one screen I didn't have a black screen. The only difference is HDCP. At my TV with HDCP it works fine. But none of my other screens (all without HDCP) works. I have screens with HDMI, DP and DVI. Native resolution is 1920*1080 and 1920*1200. At this screens, rasperry pi, odroid c2 and xu4 and many other things works perfectly. Only the pine didn't work.

How can I disable HDCP? And why is HDCP enabled?

Thanks!
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Subscribing to see how it goes.
(06-14-2016, 05:57 AM)diwou Wrote: Hi,

I have several screens. But only on one screen I didn't have a black screen. The only difference is HDCP. At my TV with HDCP it works fine. But none of my other screens (all without HDCP) works. I have screens with HDMI, DP and DVI. Native resolution is 1920*1080 and 1920*1200. At this screens, rasperry pi, odroid c2 and xu4 and many other things works perfectly. Only the pine didn't work.

How can I disable HDCP? And why is HDCP enabled?

Thanks!
I will check on the HDCP status.
While I understand the need to have HDCP on the HDMI enabled so that people can play videos from streaming services like Netflix and other sources, for people that use the Pine for general computing and other tasks which use either display devices that have no HDMI and require an adapter or have HDMI without HDCP, this is a showstopper and explains a lot of the troubles people seem to have to get their boards going. Most SBCs have implemented controls to enable/disable the HDCP on the HDMI by now and that should be a priority item for the Pine as well.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Is HDCP truly the cause of the Pine working on some displays and not others? I would be truly interested to know, as I haven't gotten mine to work with any display I've come across. I know it works though, as I can SSH in to it over LAN.
I'll monitor this thread, do post if you find anything conclusive, or any solutions to the problem.
I know that HDCP is disabled by default for longsleep's Linux kernel in the device tree, so any issues there come probably from configuring the resolution within u-boot to something not matching the display device ... Android images probably have it enabled so that Netflix and co. work and so likely non HDCP displays or using an adapter for DVI/VGA will have issues?
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-20-2016, 11:17 PM)ragwafire Wrote: Is HDCP truly the cause of the Pine working on some displays and not others? I would be truly interested to know, as I haven't gotten mine to work with any display I've come across. I know it works though, as I can SSH in to it over LAN.
I'll monitor this thread, do post if you find anything conclusive, or any solutions to the problem.

@ragwafire, in the mean time... if you want to play with the display you could install tightvncserver and run the display over the network to another box. I actually access most of my ibm(s) over the network via VNC.

Another option is to use a PL2303 TTL serial cable to pins 7,8, and 9 of the PineA64 Ext connector and talk to it via a serial connection to your notebook, or whatever.

Any modern hdmi LED display (Samsung, LG) that supports 720p60 or 1080p60 should work fine. Maybe something is broken on your image?
(06-21-2016, 02:36 AM)xalius Wrote: Android images probably have it enabled so that Netflix and co. work and so likely non HDCP displays or using an adapter for DVI/VGA will have issues?

My odroid c2 has HDCP disabled and Netflix works on android.

Without Widevine DRM, Netflix works only with low resolution (no HD), even when HDCP is turned on.

On another android box (without HDCP), Netflix works too (only SD resolution).

For HD resolution you need both Widevine DRM and HDCP. Without Widevine DRM, HDCP is useless.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOOB: Z Wave discovery in OpenHAB help needed JamesWatt 2 4,357 10-22-2016, 05:28 AM
Last Post: JamesWatt
  Pine64 Boot help needed jousley 4 5,975 06-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: jl_678
  Help needed Install Android using Mac OS X gubaguba 4 6,902 03-23-2016, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Andrew2