sxmo pim nextcloud
has anyone managed to get a address book and a calendar sync with nextcloud?
I figure khard and khal and vdirsyncer might do the job.
but will khard work as sxmo's phone book?
I am (almost) completely new to sxmo and alpine linux, so any help is much appreciated.
I've been fidling with that idea too. khard is a part of the solution. sxmo requests a tab-seperated file (https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-docs/tree/ma...ERGUIDE.md Contacs System). So after each vdirsync, khard should be called to make such a file. I haven't taken the time to figure it out, though.
(04-19-2021, 12:31 PM)davidbe Wrote: I've been fidling with that idea too. khard is a part of the solution. sxmo requests a tab-seperated file (https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-docs/tree/ma...ERGUIDE.md Contacs System). So after each vdirsync, khard should be called to make such a file. I haven't taken the time to figure it out, though.
thank you! I much appreciate sxmo's approach, but cloud-based Pim data would be great to have available. Probably I am spoiled by address books with multiple clickable phone numbers Wink
Card/CalDAV based solutions (which almost all of above mentioned ones are based around) is only really necessary if you still need to sync with one or more mainstream (Android, iOS, etc.) devices.

If you don't have any of those, you are now free to do whatever you want. Personally I like Orgmode (in Emacs) and have slowly been writing a new contact manager based on that. But you could use whatever you want, including a plain text file, which is sort of the point of these simple text storage formats, they serve as a "lowest common denominator" which are available on essentially any device.

Then you just use something like Syncthing instead of "cloud" based solutions (the later being an euphemism for "someone else's computer." Big Grin

As someone who has been trying seriously to get Card/CalDAV working (on and off, in my spare time) for literally years, I have become quite disillusioned with the entire ecosystem. On its surface it sounds great, an open, standardized protocol... Meanwhile in reality the usual suspects seem to be doing their usual "custom extensions", just enough so that everything works as long as you stay on their plantation, but heaven forbid you should ever expect all your devices to actually interoperate, what are you, crazy?!

Then there is the issue that Gnome contacts still does not really support CalDAV at all properly, however they support several proprietary alternatives just fine of course.

All of this nonsense is what drove me to start writing my own contact management solution, and is what is driving me to look into SXMO in fact, as we could then completely ignore all these uncooperative huge organizations (many with conflicting interests no doubt) and come up with our own simple solution, instead.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Big Grin 
(02-12-2022, 10:34 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: [..]

Then you just use something like Syncthing instead of "cloud" based solutions (the later being an euphemism for "someone else's computer."  Big Grin

[..]

Except when you're hosting your own Nextcloud instance Big Grin
And that's exactly my situation for my family and me. I cannot ask them to "fiddle" with text-files, only using Linux at home has already been a struggle :'-D
Well yes of course, or you could run something more lightweight like Radicale. I have run both Nextcloud and Radicale in the past, and am looking forward to no longer needing to worry about Card/CalDAV at all soon as I no longer have any Android nor iOS devices to support where I need contact sync. Which was the main point of my post above.

You are clearly in the group (supporting family members) where Cal/CardDAV is probably still a good solution for you. As disclaimed in my first sentence.

Anyway, best of luck to you in keeping up the good fight trying to drag the normies along with you. I gave up on it by now, even family.
Cheers,
TRS-80

Protocols, not Platforms

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-12-2022, 10:34 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: Card/CalDAV based solutions is only really necessary if you 
well I for exampe have a desktop computer and I like to have my contacts and adresses synced to my mobile phone.
(02-17-2022, 10:05 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Well yes of course, or you could run something more lightweight like Radicale.  I have run both Nextcloud and Radicale in the past, and am looking forward to no longer needing to worry about Card/CalDAV at all soon as I no longer have any Android nor iOS devices to support where I need contact sync.  Which was the main point of my post above.

I'm eagerly looking at an alternative for Card/CalDAV. As you wrote, Nextcloud is heavy and when something fails (hardware / software), it will take some time to restore just card/calDAV. But that means figuring out how to set up traeffik (or alternatives) so both Nextcloud & radicale are available. Or maybe having it available at home is just enough...? Things to figure out...
@davidbe ,

You shouldn't need Traefik for that. Unless you want auto-discoverability / routing of containers or other features it offers (maybe including failover?). You could just run Radicale if all you need is WebDAV and you don't require any of the rest of Nextcloud's many features. That was the boat I found myself in at some point.

But now I'm completely out of the WebDAV boat altogether. lol

(02-18-2022, 01:07 AM)Uturn Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 10:34 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: Card/CalDAV based solutions is only really necessary if you 
well I for exampe have a desktop computer and I like to have my contacts and adresses synced to my mobile phone.

You could just write them in a plain text file and use something like Syncthing, if it wasn't for (the storage / import/export format of) your phone. Which was exactly my point, above. With PinePhone, and SXMO in particular, we no longer need to deal with all the WebDAV / vCard complexity and stupidity. We can just use a simple text file.

So, I stand by my original assertion. Wink
Cheers,
TRS-80

Protocols, not Platforms

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PostmarketOS sxmo pinephone keyboard keymaps? afwtioane 2 1,948 09-11-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: manubert
  Battery life on sxmo xark 1 2,031 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Official Channels for Sxmo Support anjanmomi 2 2,994 02-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  sxmo & php --- 2 1,707 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ---
  sxmo improvements unrealb2 7 5,500 11-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO on Debian IVp 0 2,116 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: IVp
  Megi's multiboot sxmo image aithal 1 2,126 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO svkbd with joypad layout [for basic dosbox play] streak 0 1,442 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: streak
  Sxmo on Arch IVp 4 6,260 05-19-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Sxmo presentation at AlpineConf 2021 proycon 1 2,063 05-14-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: streak